What's new

Unboxing The Futur

I received an Amazon gift card, thus enabling me to justify throwing in extra cash for an upgraded fitness smart watch and something shave related.

After days of looking at soaps and aftershave and razors, I decided upon a Merkur Futur.
20231231_142110.jpg

Introduced in 1980, I think it is still among the most futuristic-looking DEs available.
sprockets-disturbing.gif

But it is also representative of an era in German culture that we've thankfully moved on from...
20231231_142341~2.jpg

Where the Progress is Teutonic Art-Deco, the Futur is pure Post-Modernism.
20231231_151401~2.jpg

I have a QShave Chinese clone of the Futur and naturally have to compare them. I don't have scales, but I detect that the Futur is slightly heavier. The polished chrome of the Futur is, to me, more visually appealing than the satin finish of the QShave. And I suspect it will glide better on lathered skin.
20231231_142624.jpg

There are some differences in manufacturing/assembly tolerances. The lowest setting on the QShave is nearly a half increment below the "1" setting, while it's highest setting stops dead on the "6".
20231231_143351.jpg20231231_143441~2.jpg
An adjustment range of 0.5-6.0 increments. Neither razor is detent click adjustable, like a Fatboy. The German razor starts at a strict "1" as it's lowest setting, out to about a "6.25".
20231231_143406.jpg20231231_143455~2.jpg
Given the design's reputation for aggressiveness, the QShave's lower adjustment range might be a point in its favor in practicality. Trying the Merkur at 6.25 might be foolhardy.

Going for a walk (to try out that new watch), then it is back for a shower and shave with my new razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Happy new year everyone,

and kudos to you especially for getting the SHINY version of the Futur! Good choice, wish mine would be. I got the matte one ages ago, and I also have the QShave in the same matte (in matte the QShave matte is a bit shinier than the powdery looking one of Merkur, though), plus a later "SNMIRN" or something like that with a magnetic cap and a slightly different look, "Colani" design basically, flowy, supposedly this type of look is called "biodynamic", a rounded type of smooth surface.

They shave very well, all three of them. The original design and the QShave show how effective the thumb grove shape can be for a handle. The Tatara Masamune Nodachi got a similar design. People might think the golfball dimples give the grip, for Tatara is rather the beadblasted surface and for the Nodachi handle this finger grove.

The 6.25 setting is for amputating lips. For me its funnily the other way round, my QShave also goes exactly to the . dot instead of 1, my Merkur is almost but not quite as good aligned as yours. There are ways to adjust that on Youtube, but I never bothered, I run it between 3-4, and well, maybe it's time to shave with it again, you just inspired me. I skipped it for my "steel" razors for years by now, kind of snobbish and silly.

This was the era when Merkur was still innovating. After that their only new idea in many decades was to release a 34C as 34G with a golden chrome look.

I got the fancy Yaqi Ultima, a steel version of their The Final Cut, which is again a clone of the "Gibbs" design that also inspired the Rex Ambassador. I am not much a fan of it and still rather shave with the Futur and clones, for what it is worth.

Enjoy your shave, this posting got longer than I expected! :)

I was going to shave yesterday evening, but put it off until this morning.
20240101_102334.jpg

That's about 3 days worth. I selected a new Derby Premium, as my last shave was with one in a Fatboy set to 9. That shave was memorable to me as it was the closest shave I remember, but without any alum or AS sting worth mentioning. This would be my comparison.
20240101_110638.jpg

Prep was a shower and conditioner. I leave the conditioner on while I build lather and apply the first layer of soap directly onto the conditioner. Soap was Arko, brush was Parker. Likely boar.

The Futur is easily the most audible feedback shaver in my arsenal. The acoustics are unique to the design. I'd wager that someone in another room could hear me doing that 1st north/south pass. The stubble in that picture didn't stand a chance. I was using a "2.5" setting, as I didn't want to be a total wuss at "1", but preferred more of a "cautiously adventurous" setting. It is an aggressive, blade feely design and a good choice for 3+ days of facial neglect.

The common complaint against the Futur is its large head design makes shaving under the nose difficult. And the north-south and east-west passes left a thin line of untouched stubble. Not really a big deal, as you DO reach it (at least I did) when you get to south-north, or against the grain. You were going to do an ATG there anyway, weren't you?

For me, that is thus a non-issue.

For my 3rd pass and cleanup, I bumped the setting up to "4". I hadn't nicked myself so far and was more confident. I spent a lot of time buffing ATG on my neck for BBS, which I achieved. A bit closer than days ago with the Fatboy. Around the Adam's Apple.

But...the alum and AS feedback was markedly more than with the Fatboy. As this was my first outing with it, I am pleased. If every shave ended this close and without bloodshed, I'd be content.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
proxy.php
proxy.php

I have the mat version of the Merkur Futur, its very futuristic indeed. I also agree that it sings a tune of whisker weight reduction, as it removes the whiskers off the face. Its fat unwieldy head makes it difficult to get under the nose whiskers, and that smooth handle grip, will indeed give you the slip, so be wary of soapy fingers. Its easily my most heavy razor in my arsenal indeed! It has the advantage of high levels of efficiency, due to the large aggressive range from 4 and up. Whiskers don't last long when this thing comes around to hack them off, thats for sure, as the weight helps to carry the blade through the cut.

Now as far as its quality, well, thats a bit questionable. Things made in Germany are generally well regarded, like their tools for example, better then anything that comes out of China! But even though I take care of my razors, leave them apart to dry on a towel for a day before putting them back together, to hang on my razor stand, I have a couple points of rust inside the head. Its possible they were already there from factory and I just didn't notice them because they are such small points, IDK.

I really like the look of your polished razor, its gorgeous! Polished razors will take a little more care in keeping them clean and polished, but I am sure you already know that. While I still have my Futur, I ended up replacing it for my Blackland Osprey, which is like my new Star Trek razor, especially since the internal brass insert makes it look like it has a warp core lol. Could you imagine that, a warp core powered shaving razor? HEHE.

Congrats on your watch and razor, may you enjoy it for many shaves. Just be aware of that smooth handle if you got soapy fingers, ask me how I know lol.

I'm on my second Futur, and coincidentally today I took it out for a spin after not having used it for a month or so. My current Futur is a matte finish as I struggled to confidently grip the former polished version. I think "confidence" was the key part of that issue, as I never actually had it slip while shaving, but psychologically I always worried about it. I don't have that same lack of confidence in the matte finish, but I do wonder if you switched them and I didn't notice it visually whether I would notice it at all.

In any event, today's shave was excellent in all respects. I shave daily, so there is no need to mow down a forest of heavy stubble, but I stuck to the 4.5 setting. I've used the Futur enough to know that at 4.5 I will get a BBS result without any nicks, cuts or irritation. It's obviously not the most maneuverable razor, but with practice I have learned how to navigate it around my face, including under my (not insignificant) nose.

Enjoy your new razor! As you said, it is a unique design, and I can attest that it is also an excellent performing razor.

I'm on my second Futur, and coincidentally today I took it out for a spin after not having used it for a month or so. My current Futur is a matte finish as I struggled to confidently grip the former polished version. I think "confidence" was the key part of that issue, as I never actually had it slip while shaving, but psychologically I always worried about it. I don't have that same lack of confidence in the matte finish, but I do wonder if you switched them and I didn't notice it visually whether I would notice it at all.

In any event, today's shave was excellent in all respects. I shave daily, so there is no need to mow down a forest of heavy stubble, but I stuck to the 4.5 setting. I've used the Futur enough to know that at 4.5 I will get a BBS result without any nicks, cuts or irritation. It's obviously not the most maneuverable razor, but with practice I have learned how to navigate it around my face, including under my (not insignificant) nose.

Enjoy your new razor! As you said, it is a unique design, and I can attest that it is also an excellent performing razor.

I didn't mention it in my review, but using the Futur certainly entails a lot of rinsing and towel-drying of hands and tool.

I seem to have entered a phase where "complicated" razors requiring a degree of concentration while using are far more interesting than mild razors you can AutoPilot while singing "Pagliacci" and writing a novella.

Because it is so inexpensive I bought a QShave a few years ago to give it a try. Not having a Futur, I can't compare the two, but the QShave did a good job in my opinion.
The one issue I had with it was the smooth handle. Because of an occasional flare up of arthritis in my thumbs I need a grippy handle.

Top Bottom