What's new

TWSBI 580 opinions

hey everyone, does anyone here have the TWSBI 580 and what do you think of it? i got some money to pick a couple gifts for myself and might get that pen.

I like my 580. I bought it with a B and later had it stubbed. Have had for two years and I still use it almost daily. I did have to have the cap replaced this past September because it cracked at the clip.

I have no experience with the 580 but I do have a TWSBI Eco and I really enjoy using it. Personally I like the looks of the 580 but I'm not sure for me if I would spend the money on one with the deals to be had on Japanese pens on Amazon but that is just me. I say if you like it and you have the money to spend on it then buy it and enjoy it :thumbup1:

I've had a 580 for almost 2 years now. I've replaced the feeder sleeve twice. The first time the pen leaked where the nib unit joined the barrel. That happened a couple of weeks after the pen fell onto a concrete floor with the cap on. I'm not completely sure that the fall caused the leak since the leak didn't rear it's ugly head until later. The second time the end of the feeder sleeve broke clean off right at the end of the section for no apparent reason (no falls or drops or anything like that). It writes very well, but it's also an annoying pen. Ink gets under the metal collar at the end of the section during filling, and when the pen is cleaned, I need to take the nib unit off and clean the ink out of that ring.

Mine is currently in good working order, so I use it from time to time. But if it breaks down again, it will likely hit the trash can. For 50 bucks, it's a decent writing pen with a lot of nice features, but it's also prone to needing replacement parts. So many other pens out there don't have that problem.

Also, the 580 is pretty large and doesn't fit into a shirt pocket as well as most of my other pens (Pelikan M200's, Lamy 2000, Pilot Prera, plus a few others).

One thing I will say is that after 2 years, it doesn't have any scuffs or scratches. Even the fall to the floor didn't scratch it. The pen looks good even though I don't coddle it.

It's a big pen. Bigger than I thought when I ordered it. Holds a ton of ink. Because of the size, I don't have to post the cap, which is a good thing. Because the only negative I can find with the pen is how the cap posts on the piston knob and if you aren't careful, you can turn the knob and risk ejecting ink.

Large pen, with significant ink capacity. I have not encountered any cracking issues.

It can be improved with the transplant of a 200-series Pelikan nib, quite easily.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
hey everyone, does anyone here have the TWSBI 580 and what do you think of it? i got some money to pick a couple gifts for myself and might get that pen.

I have a red-white-and-blue "ROC" 580.

proxy.php

It's a good pen, and I'm glad I have it so that if I ever have a meeting with the leader of the PRC, I can use that pen, probably loaded up with one of these inks ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

... anyhow. It's a decent pen, and it does have a piston fill, but on the whole I don't see it as an upgrade from the Lamy Safari (which costs less). Notably, the cap is heavier and posts poorly (securely, but way too long, especially with that weight) so you have to use it unposted or have it become unwieldy and too long. I haven't used it hard enough or frequently enough to comment on the frequent cracking issues, apart from the obvious "other people seem to have this problem a lot" observation.

Is it a gorm-awful "avoid at all costs" pen? No. Is it the best use of your pen-buying money? Probably not. Save money and get a Safari, or save your pennies and if your budget can manage it, go for a Pilot Custom Heritage 92. Or if the looks of the Twizbie floats your boat, go for it.

the 580AL is my daily carry and gets used a ton everyday. It has held up very well in the 15 months or so I have had it. I have other pens I do prefer but the 580 is great as an everyday carry as it isnt so expensive that I will be too upset of it breaks or I lose it. It writes pretty damn well, holds a ton of ink that I can actually see and judge when a refill is needed and has taken quite a bit of abuse and just kept going. For the price I would say it is a solid value especially with the piston fill which I prefer in my pens for ease of use and capacity.

well after all the opinions and reading ive add some pens to my list, im slowly loosing my resistance to pens, ink, razors, aftershave, shave soap. its an addiction and there is no cure.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a 580 AL in my rotation. Haven't had any major issues with it. It is a bit big for my tastes. I also have a Vac Mini, which is a bit too small. Both are nice pens though. They need to make a "goldie locks" size in between that would be just right.

My 580 AL has had ink in it for 2.5 years and it hasn't skipped, dripped, belched or farted. It has been used almost every day. (Except on one vacation where it didn't make it into my pocket.) Two weeks later it wrote at it first touch to paper. I have had to re-grease the rubber plunger. Since the pen is designed to come apart and go back together easily that little job was a pleasure.

The 580s aren't fancy. They are workhorses.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well, after having reported no problems with my 580 AL, when I uncapped it the other day, the threaded portion of the cap disintegrated. Contacted TWISBI by email, they quickly responded that they will replace the cap for $4.00 shipping.

As noted, it is a big pen and I like that. I don't know that you can find a pen that size for anywhere near the price. It has a nice clip and overall it has a quality "feel" to it. While Safaris for example are great pens, to me they feel kind of cheap as opposed to the 580.

Also, TWSBI customer service is great.

Having said that, mine is not a great writer. It hesitates to start and has a relatively dry ink flow. TWSBI serviced it free of charge, but it still imo does not write properly. Safari blows it away where the rubber meets the road.

I like the other aspects of the pen enough that I'll probably try another nib and see if I have better luck.

Happy to report my cap arrived very quickly, back in business again. Great CS!

Good to hear you had a good experience! It's never fun to have things happen to your pen but it's less stressful when you have a company with good customer service

so i bought the 580 along with a conklin duragraph, very nice pens, the nib on the 580 is smooth, but seams to be a bit soft. i was messing around and gave it to my girlfriend to try, she posted the pen and went to take it off and ended up dumping a bunch of ink on the paper, so no posting the 580

Top Bottom