What's new

TrueFitt & Hill Mens Hair Management Products: COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW

A GREAT review series, very informative. Thanks a lot for this contribution to the knowledge base, Dave.

Gents, Dave has generously passed three of these products on to me to try. I am starting it off tomorrow with the Texture Clay. These are great smelling products and represent some new school formulations. The clay product interests me because of the lack of sheen. I want to see how it goes with my sandy coloured hair. Stay tuned!

And Dave, thanks again. A most generous gesture.

Well, I used the Texture Clay this morning and it was revealing to say the least. I did a full Marco cleansing wash routine and let my hair dry. I then applied what could be called a snurdle of product to my hair. It was a bit tacky and hard to get brushed and combed in. I could tell for me I used too much at one time. I combed my contour like hair style into place and it looked a bit pasted down. No fault at all of the product but in my enthusiasm I simply forgot to start off with a pea sized amount.

I let it set for half hour or so and then 'buffed' it up good with the Kent military brush. This stuff adds body like you wouldn't believe! I got it tamed down and combed into place and it looked pretty good. Wife says there was no sheen and that is good since the tan like colour of this product did indeed darken my hair a bit. Like most products do. Over the course of the day I had some fly away hairs but mostly it was due to my poor choice of amount to apply. I really do need to use pomade type products as grooming aids and not something to glue a big pomadour into place with. Though I could have easily made the front of my hair pomp up a good inch or two with no problem using this product. I also need a haircut since I noticed I was having trouble getting product distributed evenly in my hair. A dead give away for me. This is a very well made product and the scent is nice and mild. I am certainly no pomade expert but my sense of it is Truefitt & Hill did some serious research and testing before releasing these products. I am going to use it again tomorrow but only starting with a pea sized amount. So we shall see.

Gents, a small followup to the Texture Clay. I may give it a go with a fresh haircut but for now, it is not exactly really working for me. Great product, it just leaves my hair a bit clumpy feeling. Even with a pea sized amount I got the clumpy look to my hair. It was not horrid by any means, it just doesn't work on my hair. Definitely a matte product. I may revisit it later.

Today saw the first use of the Styling Paste. This was a revelation to me. When I first looked at it I thought; Teddy Boy Original with a better scent. Same off white, creamy textured paste. I think it is more like a thick smooth cream. I started off with a good wash this morning and applied it to dry hair. I started with a pea size amount and was amazed that it seemed to disappear into my hair. No streaks, no clumps, no uneven amounts on the hairs. With that I added at least a pea sized amount more and worked it in. Great grooming effect and no sheen whatsoever. It did not hold all day but this is a very interesting and easy to use product. I honestly believe I could use this with almost complete abandon. I am going 'full snurdle' tomorrow and see how it goes. This could be a great product for me. Stay tuned.

Great Review, and If I believe this is the one during my review, that we discussed that was going t be out of the park for you, lad you are having fun with them

Dave, indeed. Upon looking back at your original revue posts, your comments are very close to my experience with this product. I intentionally did NOT look back at your review pages to make sure I would not let other observations cloud my use. And I have made sure to not look at the ingredient labels since you sent them to me. I wanted to test these somewhat blind to make sure I was testing them and not my faulty memory of someone's comments or my own expectations from ingredient labels.

If the initial test results hold up you may never see the Styling Paste again! The more I use these products the more I convinced Truefitt & Hill did considerable testing to make sure these were great products. And not something with their name slapped on it to take advantage of currently popular grooming habits. New school for sure but some of the better new school stuff I have used. Thanks again for sending these along.

I have now used the Styling Paste three times and really like it. I went full snurdle and as I hoped, it was perfectly fine. This is a product I can use with ease. Even what I consider to be a large amount by my standards. I used a very warm water rinse only this morning and though my hair looks cleaned I can tell there is a bit of buildup in it. And in a good way. This product is a winner for me and I really want to try it out on a fresh haircut. It is rare to find a product you are truly happy with. Particularly when it comes to hair care. I have said this many times but it bears repeating. Superb shave lathers abound. Finding one that works well is not too difficult. Aftershave splashes that are truly A+ rated are probably a grail type product. Hair dressings that work like that are likely even scarcer than the best aftershaves. This is one for me.

strop

Now half as wise
That's some high praise Todd! I might just have to try this stuff, even though I probably have 5 years worth of stuff in the drawer!

Nice Todd, so I can safely assume I will not be getting that one back:lol: LOL, I am glad and please keep and enjoy it, and maybe pass a snurdle or two to Mark for his thoughts as well.

Glad my recommendation to you on this product worked well. That is what I love about this community, the sharing of product to expand out horizons and AD's LOL:lol::thumbup:

Gents, sorry for being a bit tardy at updating this thread. I managed a fresh haircut this week so will give the Texture Clay another try the next two to three days to see how it differs in shorter hair.

I also wanted to pass along my experience with the Styling Wax. This is really a gel. A thick gel to be sure and much more like a modern water based pomade type product. It goes in pretty easy but was just so so feeling on my hair. Medium shine on sandy coloured hair. It definitely did not gum up like the typical crispy critter hair gels you get at beauty supply stores. It is a far superior product in formula to those. Hold was a solid medium I think. Again, depending upon hair type and length this could mean almost anything.

It has a very modern scent. The typical cool/water/clean/oceanic type thing so many modern fragrances mimic. It was the strongest of the three to my nose. Not my thing but not overbearing at all. For me, this will be a pass. I have the gel type covered beautifully in Railcar Fine Goods original.

So far, the Styling Paste is the star for me. I am amazed at how much I can actually put in my hair without a weight or greasy look problem. Now mind, we are not speaking of a tablespoon amount here. I would say that one day the amount was equivalent to the amount of toothpaste you would put on a regular sized toothbrush. The full snurdle. A better nomenclature you will never find for describing pomade amounts! If I tried that with Sweet Georgia Brown or King Brown I would have to comb my hair into a serious side part slick back. And would have to wash it out daily. This new T&H product line is WELL made and well thought out. More to come.

Kevan, in my opinion, yes. The mineral oil and paraffin are several notches down the list of ingredients. Aqua is the number one item on the list. I went ahead and clarified with Marco's cleaning method but I don't think it was really necessary. A good commercial shampoo(detergent by the way) would probably suffice. If you are one of those guys who really lays it in the hair and slicks back or pomps up, then a good clarifying shampoo could be necessary.

Gents, yesterday's product wast the Texture Clay. As I had surmised, it applied much easier to a freshly cut head of hair. And I used much less of course. It combed in and styled easily but I found with a small amount I had some fly away hair through the day. And if I had used much more it would have been close to the paste down job I did on myself in the prior application. Don't take this as a black mark on the Texture Clay. It is a well made product and gives LOADS of volume to your hair. If it gets along with it. My hair doesn't but this is one of those Nth degree things.

I would also think applying it to damp hair may be the way to get best results as well. This one is a pass for me but if you have fairly thick textured hair(and plenty of it) and apply in layers so you get the feel for the right amount, it will work just fine. Thanks again Dave for passing this along. Looks like the Styling Paste is the top performer for me of the three. Don't let this sway you from giving them a try. Truefitt & Hill have done a cracking job with these new hair dressings and they are worthy of a trial.

Darn it all. I've gone ahead and taken advantage of T&H's generous B&B coupon for the holidays and got some of the Styling Paste, as well as a sample pack that will serve as a Christmas present for my friend.

I have sandy blond-brown hair and my interest has been piqued ever since I read the description of the scent and Todd's impressions, so the Styling paste seems like a winner to me.

Gents, a small follow up. I have settled on the Styling Paste as the T&H hair dressing of preference. I am getting ready to send some on to another and one back home. The Styling Paste simply works for me. Decent hold, NOT heavy at all, and does not overly darken my hair like so many products do. This is a pretty stellar hair dressing and shows what the new school can do when it is properly combined with an old school business. Well done T&H.

Top Bottom