What's new

TrueFitt & Hill Mens Hair Management Products: COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW

Good Morning Folks:
Well here we are on Day-4 and the final review for the T & H Styling Paste, including overall performance and recommendations.

1st off I want to sincerely thank those of you that have been following this lengthy review of the Truefitt & Hill Hair Care products, and hope they have been informative. Hang in there, only one product left in the "Pomade" which will begin tomorrow.

Today was another "damp hair" application after shampooing/conditioning. The build up was a bit more noticeable today, but still as mentioned before much less that expected over the 4-day period.

Of course, all experiences will be different, based on application, hair type, condition and wanted style, however, for my usage the damp hair method is the best for my hair type and style desired. but again, I must underline that for those with lighter finer hair and those that are looking for more volume and body, or a dry look, this may be the ticket.

Styling today was as expected, with a bit more sheen, due to build-up, but still a happy medium between matte and shiny. It gave enough sheen for a "wet look", but not soaked or reflective in nature. It should also be pointed out that I used a bit more product today and not only brushed with water, but the coarse and fine combings were also used with an excess of water on the comb and brush. This was to see if I could get the maximum sheen. There was not a big difference and it maintained that medium as mentioned above.

The hold however, was expectedly more, but remain manageable and ultimately easy to re-style. to prove this, I re-combed the style about 5 hours after the initial styling and it went right back to the previous style.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Overall, a good product, and I personally would rank it behind the "Styling Wax", but again your experience may differ.

Here are the numbers in final performance.

Amount of product needed - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile, as with all these a very good concentration, so less is needed
application & grooming ease - Wet: :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile Dry::001_smile:001_smile
Fragrance - :001_smile:001_smile
Hold over a full days period - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile
Sheen - :001_smile:001_smile
Ease of removal and re-application or re-activation - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile.5
If product layering is needed - NA , Not needed
Overall Performance - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile.5

OVERALL RATING -:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

I gave the overall rating a 4, since under damp hair application the product was very good, easy to style and tremendous hold, however under dry hair application it became a bit more difficult to get the right style, and the time needed and effort to get the hair tamed into style. That being said those that like a textured, finger style, dry, or messy look will love this stuff.

NEXT UP:

Truefitt & Hill "POMADE"

Have a great day :thumbup:

Dave, another great review seen through. The pomade review will be fun to read and if I am reading between the lines correctly, this is the one you've been itching to try. Lets go!

The time has come, it is finally here, and hoorah we don't have to read Dave blathering on about these products much longer:lol:
Yes, we are on the final product review for the Truefitt & Hill Hair Management line. THE POMADE!!!

I know, by virtue of some communications that this was the one you were waiting on, and I must admit I saved it for last for a reason. One, to convince myself that folks would follow these reviews to the end ( I know dreaming right:w00t:), and two this is the product I really was looking forward to.

So here we go.

I may have to ask for a mulligan for todays review, as the day began as a comedy of errors. First I was incredibly late getting up this morning at 0630, I did hot have time to clarify and wash the lox, and I happened to drag my straight razor accidently across my off hand, causing some nice little slices. So please bear with me:001_smile

Was in bit of a rush this morning so after shaving I rinsed the hair with warm and cold water, with not appreciable build-up, I opened up the jar of Truefitt & Hill's "Pomade" It should be noted that I did not "pre-look" at any of these product to ensure I could give a non-biased review.
proxy.php

I was initially shocked as this did not look like any of the oil, or water based pomades that I have used in the past, and was the most loose in the container that any of the other products, except for the C.A.R. cream. So shocked that I even had to look at the jar again to make sure I had the right one. Unconventional is the best word to describe the initial opening.

proxy.php

Being a traditional Pomade user i.e. Murrays, Sweet Georgia Brown, Daimon Barber, Prospectors, Admirial, Suavecito, Dax, Lockharts, Ruezel, Royal Crown and the like, both water and oil based, this took me a little by surprise as the consistency was that of almost a thick lotion, but with more viscosity. So initial impressions were not all that excited, although this would change almost immediately.

I took what had been the normal amount "a snurdle" , that is about the sixe of an almond, and decided since this was a pomade and I was going for some shine today I took a bit more. This was a HUGE mistake, this stuff is highly concentrated and once warmed in the hands, it expands A LOT!

proxy.php

With this excess amount I applied to damp hair and immediately changed my initial thoughts, it went into the hair nicely, although being white it did take some work for it to get fully absorbed, but FELT like a pomade.

From the onset this stuff is reflective and shiny, but I do see that you could control that a bit with the amount of product and the amount of water used during the initial brushing and combing.

I felt that tell-tale drag that most pomades give you during styling and the hair went exactly where you wanted to place each and every tine of the comb. An additional bit of water on the comb and it increased the sheen quite remarkably, and for those of you that do not like comb lines a quick wipe with the hand and it all looks smooth. I for one do not mind the comb marks so this is the way I styled it today.

Knowing this would most likely be a mulligan day, and also considering I will have a new haircut tomorrow, I will call this the initial run, but will plan on using this for an extra day just to ensure the same conditions exist for the final reviews.

If you are looking for maximum sheen, a wet look, a very close vintage look, this is the product for you and in my opinion would work best for the following types of hair styles. Exec Contour, vintage close cropped, short hair, and of course those of you that sport pompadours. For those with lighter colored hair, or those that have finer hair, this would work but over a weeks time it may become a but greasy looking, or dirty on the lighter hair types.

Those that do a quick 'fingers through the hair" or messy look, this is probably not for you. Since by it's very name POMADE it begs to be used with a comb, the finer the better. Those of you that do not like comb lines, a quick sweep of the palm and you are good to go. those with pomade, this product seems to look as if it would work well, be building the height of your pomp as well, and Shine is the key work here. Sheen can be adjusted a bit, but again it made to be shiny.

8- hours later the hair is exactly where I placed it this morning, the sheen has diminished a bit, but a quick swipe with a wet comb and not only is the shine back, but the style as well.

The one common denominator here is the hair feel, very healthy. This by nature is a bit heavier in the hair, but for today that could be a factor in that I did not have a chance to clarify, shampoo, or condition.

Tomorrow after the clarifying and haircut, a more earnest review can be started, but I wanted to give you an initial impression of the product.

I am going to take that Mulligan for today, and I appreciate your patience with this final review.

Here are the morning photos:
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Have a wonderful day folks, and see you tomorrow.....:thumbup1:

Well Dave, that is certainly the wet look! This is obviously a new school type product but from the photos it looks like an orthodox oil based pomade. It will be interesting to see how this works on your new hair cut. I know for me the contour type cuts are better. I am going to speak with my barber the next time about tapering the cut more closely up the sides. Somewhat like the photo Marco posted in the Renaissance thread. Good start on this one.

Hey Gents,
Just a quick update, as I had a couple of inquiries as to the re-style. the sheen does come down just a bit as I mentioned earlier, but here is it roughly 12-hours later and just a quick dip in the water with my Kent folding comb a couple of combings with no hardness, or crustiness in the hair and back into shape, Just FYI on longevity

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

More great information; thanks, Dave! Really looking forward to your final conclusions and comparisons. You've gone way above the call of duty here.

I concur! Very thorough and informative! I'd like to see you sporting a pompadour, though!

thought about it, but hair is too short, and the Chairman of the board, said no in a very "colorful way" She indicated that she gave concessions for my Handlebar, plus taking over one of our bathrooms to look like a barbershop, so I will have to put some thought in the negotiations:lol:

Good Day folks

Today is a re-do from yesterday, as I wanted to make sure the conditions were consistent for each day, and wanted to start on clean, cut, clarified hair.

So this morning, had the haircut, clarified the hair, shampoo, conditioned and no mishaps or injuries with my straight razor and ready to begin the review in earnest.

I wont bore your with the details of yesterday, or the amount applied, although just to day I did not use as much and was back to using "a snurdle" which again is about the size of an almond. Going back to the styling paste, I had assumed there was not a ton of build-up based on the overall feel of the hair, but my barber had mentioned that she noticed quite a bit. This is a good thing as it seems you can get a nice build up but not the overly heavy feeling, as is associated with so many pomades.

I did notice today that it was not "sheening" up the way I would have liked, but this could be factor of not getting the amount right on a new haircut, no enough water, or the fact when using the olive oil, dish soap method for removing build up, it sometimes takes a few days for your hair to recover the natural oils. Either way today ended up with what I would call a "medium sheen" but the hold, again is fantastic.

One thing not spoken of so far is fragrance. it is very light, almost a cream colonia scent, but disappears very quickly with no hint evening 30-minutes later. This could be beneficial to those folks that would prefer a somewhat non-fragranced pomade.

Still getting used to the creamy texture, and again it goes in very white, but once worked in also disappears. Unlike the other offerings in this product line, that blend almost immediately. Causative factors here are most likely, although a cream based product, the density is very high.

Some of the primary ingredient are:
petrolatum, mineral oil, lanolin, glycerin, castor oil and water. along with a host of others, again that I will post on the final summary.

A nice product and over the next 3 days I would assume a good build up and consistent shine.

Again, This product makes your hair feel good, and not weighed down, however if you wanted that vintage, close to the skull helmet look it would be very easy to achieve. I will adjust the applied amount as well to see if I can take this stuff to its limit on shine and post accordingly.

Pics today are outside, since I decided to take the day off. The contrast is not perfect but will give you the idea on only getting to the "medium shine"

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I hope you have a great remainder of you Friday, and you and your families have a wonderful weekend

See you tomorrow for day #2......:thumbup1:

Lazy Saturday morning folks, sorry for the delay. Getting ready for the weekly Domino & rum event, so the shave, shower and hair was a bit late today.

Ok, day 2 - I wanted to try to push the limit of the product today with a small amount of build-up beginning, so this again will be a damp hair application, with additional water added during both brushing and combing.

The build up was noticed, both before and during shampoo and condition, and it left a nice residual after. As mentioned yesterday the standard "snurdle" was not enough and I used about 2 almond sized swipes today. Again not much fragrance, and it did get a bit more tacky in the had during warm up and application.

The product packaging indicates "For a Healthy shiny hair". That being said, "shiny" is a relative term. To me it means a shiny, wet look. Upon stand alone this product will not do that, it is shiny, is it healthy looking, but not the "shine" I think most pomade users identify with. Of course (and I hate saying this) YMMV.

A higher shine can be established with water during the final stages of styling. The former may be a good thing for blond, or fine hair as it will not present itself as greasy, will give you a good shine, and remain with a good hold and manageability.

For those with darker hair it will require some water to get the shine you want, or not if you want more of a matte finish. Holding power is similar to the clay product. Where ever you style your hair, it will stay, but will be re-styleable with no issues.

The jury is still out for me on this "pomade" I feel the styling wax was still a better product for shine, but will give the pomade the edge on overall hold. I may try layering the pomade with the wax in supplemental entries to this review.

Again, all the products feel very good in the hair, not overly heavy and this pomade being the heaviest to date, but not in a bad way. Today I went with a much closer to the scalp look , which does not translate very well on film, but it is holding very well and maintaining the shine desired after some extra water on both the coarse and fine comb. Being only two days into a new hair cut I am sure it will settle.

After day two, I would suggest that this product would be very good for a bit longer hair, especially on the top for those that use a pomp as their primary style.

Here are the photos from today:
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday.

See you on Day #3....:thumbup1:

Today would be a dry application. Build up was good, but not overly so, and today in keeping consistent was a hot/cold water rinse, allowing hair to dry and application.

Was pleasantly surprised that the product was easier to apply to dry hair, that the clay, and I was not expecting the shine to come through as well as it did. A bit of water was required to get the shine back up, but it was nice.

I wont bore you will all the other details, but suffice to say that hair felt great, hold is fantastic and although I tried to do a mini pomp today, I just don't have the length, but I feel it would hold well for those with "high hair"

Also after three days the build up is not a concern as far as a greasy feel. You know that it is there, however I would feel confident in recommending this to those with lighter colored and fine hair types. It not not look matted, nor dirty, even though I did not wash my hair today.

Also, as a side note for those that might be interested, my wife has normally brunette hair, long and very straight. She had colored her hair blonde about 3 yrs ago, and always felt that it look somewhat dry and straw like. Yesterday she has asked if she could use some of the product.

She put a base layer of CAR Cream, followed by some of the styling wax, and her hair built a nice bit of volume, and look very hydrated, shiny and healthy, without any stiffness. She was even complimented on it by our friends last night.

So this can be used by both men and women and the fragrances are not overly masculine, nor feminine. And for those gents with long hair this was a good experiment and would also be recommended.

Here are the photos from this morning:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Have a great evening and see you on day four, with overall summary and final standings coming Tuesday

Greetings folks.
Here we are on the final day of the POMADE, and the tail end of a very nice experience of the Truefitt & Hill hair Management Line.

Today was a damp application day after shampoo and condition. Build-up was very noticeable today, and not overly greasy, but maintained some shine. Almond size amount place in the hair today, however the hair was not quite as damp as in previous applications, and again it did require some extra water to get the shine wanted.

Overall, this product does require a bit of extra work to attain a high shine, however if you are looking for a medium shine with a good hold then this is the ticket. I also believe as mentioned yesterday this may be good for a base product, with maybe an application of the Styling Wax to really ramp up the sheen.

Of all the products tested, this one had the most anticipation for me, however fell a bit short of expectations in a namesake POMADE. Do not misunderstand, this is still a good product, just not to the level of the other products tested, nor especially for a product named a pomade. That being said this product would be good for those that do not want to make the "all-in" of traditional pomades, but still have some of the characteristics, with ease of care and relatively a small build-up.

The Styling Paste would be in my opinion a more traditional style of Pomade and can be shined up with a bit less water and the hold is much stronger than the POMADE. With the Styling Wax being just stellar.

Photos from today:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here is the overall performance:

Amount of product needed - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile this does require some experimentation to get the amount right
application & grooming ease - Wet::001_smile:001_smile:001_smile.Fragrance - :001_smile
Hold over a full days period - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile.5

Sheen: :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile This will require some work to get a high sheen, but a medium sheen is very easy to attain
Ease of removal and re-application or re-activation - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile.5
If product layering is needed -:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile this product would be a very good base layer to the Styling Wax

Overall Performance - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile.5

OVERALL RATING -
:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Tonight I will be going over my notes on all the products, including those thoughts that did not make these reviews and give an overall performance summary and rating. This will include a list of ingredients, average pricing, longevity for the price paid, as well as recommend usage for hair types and styles wanted.

Enjoy your day.

A great series, Dave. I've followed along with interest. I'll look into the CAR cream or the wax more fully thanks to your reviews.

Job well done, Dave. A superb effort. The products were well described and it was easy to understand how to apply and use the products to good effect. And the photos were really helpful. Thank you.

Well Ladies and Gents of the Skin, Body & Hair Care Forum, we are finally here at the final day of the Comprehensive portion of the review for the following products:

C.A.R. Cream
Styling Wax
Styling Paste
Textured Clay
Pomade
proxy.php

proxy.php

1st: I want to thank all of you again for following this thread, and your patience over the last 21-days. It has been fun and a good learning experience for me, and hopefully an informative one for you.

2nd: I need to apologize as I was running late for the office today, and brought all the products with me, but forgot the C.A.R. Cream, as noticed above, I had to use one of my SOTD photos, and not being in front of my good DSLR, I could not get the ingredients to get into focus on my phone, So I will have to post a supplemental over the next day or two, again my apologies.

So.....
Lets get right into the final summary of the products, recommendations on usage, pricing, cost per ounce as it related to overall longevity, and final ranking based on the criteria set for the over the last 3-weeks.

** Please note**
Again, just to reiterate, I do not work, or have any affiliation to Truefiit & Hill, I have never used any of their products , including any shaving soaps, creams, AS, or colognes, up until this point. I was asked, and was provided the product at no-charge to do this reviews. The performance reviews, product applications amounts, recommendations are mine and mine alone, and were not prompted by Truefitt & Hill, nor may agree with anyone associated with Truefitt & Hill, it's company, or employees. This was not an official Badger & Blade review.

Just a review for the members, by a member and as always...... wait for it....... you don't want to here it..... YMMV

:001_smile(Your Mileage May Vary):001_smile

The products can be found and purchased at Truefitt & Hill https://www.truefittandhill.com/collections/hair-care, and selected retailers.

Product pricing is, at the time of this writing:

C.A.R. Cream - $38.00 / 6.7oz. / 200ml / $5.67 per ounce

Styling Wax - $36.00 / 3.3oz / 100ml / $10.90 per ounce

Styling Paste - $36.00 / 3.3oz. / 100ml / $10.90 per ounce

Textured Clay - $36.00 / 3.3oz / 100ml / $10.90 per ounce

Pomade - $36.00 / 3.3oz / 100ml / $10.90 per ounce

At the onset many will cough at these prices, however I would ask for you to consider this. The products are fantastically made from a company with a rich history. Truefitt & Hill is one of the oldest purveyors of fine gentlemanly products. the quality of the ingredients are top notch, and most importantly the longevity of the product is outstanding, with very little product needed to get the results wanted.

That being said I see not reason that this product, depending on usage could last well over a year at least and with daily usage that comes out to about 10 cents a day. Well worth it for the quality of these products.

Now for the Final ranking based on all previous criteria below

C.A.R Cream - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Styling Wax - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Styling Paste - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Textured Clay - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Pomade - :001_smile:001_smile

Again, thanks for following and I will post supplemental entries as needed to answer any questions. Should you get the product please post you results here as well.

Also any comments good, or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks for being members of BadgerandBlade.com

Cheers,
Dave

Fine conclusion to a very thorough and most helpful review of these products. As someone who is not new to wet shaving, but new to high quality hair products, it bears mentioning again how appreciative I am for your time and effort. Thanks!

I was particularly struck by one of your conclusions - the CAR cream, which has been around forever, rated 5 "smiles" - and it also appears to be the most cost-effective of the lot. Apparently, there really is nothing like a classic!

I went back through your reviews, and I wonder if you would agree with these very broad classifications relative to three products which appear most interesting to me (for short hair [1 to 2 inches, less on the sides], dry application): CAR cream - low hold, low sheen; Styling Paste - medium hold, low sheen; Styling Wax - high hold, high sheen.

Thanks again for your time and effort, and I am looking forward to seeing additional comments/questions in this thread!

Chad

Chad

I would agree completely in fact those are my exact line ups going forward, and thanks for the comment, it is appreciated

Top Bottom