What's new

Tried the Trac II / G II for once

Decided to have a go with the Trac II / GII I have lying around as a back up system. I have the Feather handle with some blades that came with it.
Used Palmolive cream and the Omega 10098. Made the lather in my Ben and Jerry bowl. The bowl seemd to be made for the brush. Got a very nice shave, not BBS (thank God :biggrin:), with hardly any irritation. At least I know now that the back up system is working...

Last edited:
GII is a wonderful shaver...fixed head it will deliver the more similar to a DE shave around. BBS for me.:rolleyes:

Although I have been wetshaving for more than 30 years now, I have always used a cartridge razor to do it. I started out with the Trac II, moved on to the Atra when it come out, and have been using the Mach 3 for about 10 years now. I have always managed to get at least a DFS with all of them, probably due to my good prep and the use of a badger brush and quality SC, and I always thought that I managed to do it with a minimum of irritation and razor burn.

Lately (i.e. since I've found B&B), I've been wondering about "going retro" while still using a cart razor, since the price of M3 carts is absolutely obscene - despite me being a major cheapskate and using a single M3 cart for a whole month's worth of shaving.

When I read here about the Bump Fighter razor/Personna twin cart solution available from WallyWorld for <$7.00 for the complete setup with 10 carts, my interest was piqued, so last week I finally pulled the trigger. My cheapskate self loved the idea of shaving with a razor that cost $.35 instead of $3.00 per cartridge, and the total investment was minimal - worst case would be that I'd gain some info about what didn't work for me.

I have been shaving with this combo now for 5 shaves total, and although at first I had a few rough shaves (mostly due to the learning curve and trying to immediately go for my usual DFS-BBS and consequently overshaving), last night I had a true breakthrough. I got an incredibly close shave with absolutely NO irritation, even on those pesky patches on my neck that have been razor-burned for as long as I can remember. I did a full 3 pass shave with additional touchups, and I said out loud at the end, "I could go on shaving forever like this and never get razor burn!" It literally made me laugh out loud with glee, and it was definitely the best shave that I've had in 20 years.

About the only things that aren't optimal for me about the Bump Fighter handle is that it's a fairly round profile, which makes it slightly harder for me to align the head "by feel" rather than looking at it, and the head is set at what to me seems an odd angle, requiring me to move the handle farther away from my face to engage the blades than I'd prefer (farther even than what I remember from my old Trac II days). I wonder if those G II handles available from Dridiot might solve those issues for me...

Long story short: I'm beginning to get why everyone on here will never go back to their M3's and Fusions again. It's FAR cheaper, and a much better quality shave with much less irritation: what's not to love?!

About the only things that aren't optimal for me about the Bump Fighter handle is that it's a fairly round profile, which makes it slightly harder for me to align the head "by feel" rather than looking at it, and the head is set at what to me seems an odd angle, requiring me to move the handle farther away from my face to engage the blades than I'd prefer (farther even than what I remember from my old Trac II days). I wonder if those G II handles available from Dridiot might solve those issues for me...

I have the Feather handle which works fine. But since you (and some others) mention this bump fighter, I have ordered one of those to compare...

I've been having to use the Trac II lately, and while I can't get BBS shaves with it, it's been more than adequate. The BF handle will do in a pinch -- I like the extra weight and girth -- but I've also sometimes found it hard to line up/control during the shave. Switching back to the original squarish TII handle has helped, and its lighter weight can actually be an advantage.

The Bump Fighter is a wonderful razor made of metal and cheap. Its actually a Trac2 handle so I use regular Personna Trac2 blades instead of the Bump fighter type. You can buy a plastic adapter that fits the handle and now you can load Atra and Sensor cartridges as well.

I've already posted around here my last week's experiment with the GII + Personna carts. It wasn't in any way better than my DE shaves, but I did learn something.

The lubrication strip on the carts is useless. The shaves were not great, but a combination of carts with no lube strip, adding an extra pass (I only did 2) and practice will certainly provide better results.

For now, I'm going right back to the HD. I will not be surprised if when I try the M3 carts again, the shaves will not be closer than with the GII :biggrin:.

I use a GII when I'm away from home, they are great travel razors. I bought the handle from dridiot in Singapore. The cartridges are available here (NL), though the GII plus (with useless lube strip) are easier to find than the regular GII. I've seen the regular GII at DA, and at some smaller independent drogisterijen. HEMA sells its own brand of lubeless GII compatible cartridges for a third of the price of the Gillettes, those are useable, but not as sharp as the Gillettes.

Last edited:
The Bump Fighter is a wonderful razor made of metal and cheap. Its actually a Trac2 handle so I use regular Personna Trac2 blades instead of the Bump fighter type. You can buy a plastic adapter that fits the handle and now you can load Atra and Sensor cartridges as well.

Slantman, Can you give a pointer to the adapter? I'd like to pick one up.

I have the Feather handle which works fine. But since you (and some others) mention this bump fighter, I have ordered one of those to compare...

Wil, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Bump Fighter handle - specifically to know if it's just me or whether the BF handle is set at a more oblique angle than the Feather one (or, for those others reading here, the G II handle from Dridiot) and whether you find the round profile more difficult to align on your face without looking at it first than the G II's square profile. Please keep us updated on your experiment, and thanks!

I use a GII when I'm away from home, they are great travel razors. I bought the handle from dridiot in Singapore. The cartridges are available here (NL), though the GII plus (with useless lube strip) are easier to find than the regular GII. I've seen the regular GII at DA, and at some smaller independent drogisterijen. HEMA sells its own brand of lubeless GII compatible cartridges for a third of the price of the Gillettes, those are useable, but not as sharp as the Gillettes.

Like the Netherlands the only carts available for them in Alabama are the ones with the useless lube strips. I have not bought a handle to try simply for that reason. It looks to "modern" for me.
Wp

Have you looked for the Personna Twin II carts at Walmart?

+1

Cheap, and readily available, what more could you want?

Also, that lube strip would seem to be pretty easily removed with a sharp blade (I don't imagine any of us have any shortage of those lying around....:lol:). :biggrin:

Last edited:
I shaved with a Trac II for 30 years. It works great. I still keep a nice Merkur Trac II handle and some carts around, just in case. I've switched completely over to DE at this point, primarily for the sport of it but, also, because I have finally learned to give myself a better shave with a DE than I am able to achieve with the Trac II. It takes more effort, but the better results are there if you are willing to put in that effort.

On the other hand, Trac II and even M3 give perfectly good shaves and, if they work for you and you like them, I believe you should use them. I still maintain that the real attraction of wetshaving is more about the wet part (brush and lather) than it is about the type of blade(s) you use to scrape yer face. :wink:

Enjoy!

Wil, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Bump Fighter handle - specifically to know if it's just me or whether the BF handle is set at a more oblique angle than the Feather one (or, for those others reading here, the G II handle from Dridiot) and whether you find the round profile more difficult to align on your face without looking at it first than the G II's square profile. Please keep us updated on your experiment, and thanks!

I will and I have the G 2 handle from dridiot too :wink:

Also, that lube strip would seem to be pretty easily removed with a sharp blade (I don't imagine any of us have any shortage of those lying around....:lol:). :biggrin:

I did that with a cart, the strips are very brittle and have many "glue" spots. The best tool for the job was not a DE blade (yes, I tried that) but the blade of a small Swiss Army knife :wink:.

Top Bottom