What's new

Traveling to Portugal, need recommendations

I'm off to Portugal for a week in May and hope to stock up on my favorite Iberian creams while I'm there. I'll be in Porto for a few days and will be down in the Algarve (Lagos to the Spanish border) a few days - can anyone recommend any good shops for shaving supplies? Might try to fit in a visit to a barber for a shave also, so any recommendations as to good shops in Porto? Thanks!

Barbers you find in pretty much every town (there are two within 10 mins walking distance from me here in Coimbra and at least 1/2 a dozen within 5 mins driving), but you will have to decide between a classic (old professionals) barber shop and a hipster (“lifestyle experience”) barber shop. Plan on spending less than €10 on a shave as long as you stick to the former.

My barber shop raised prices by €1 recently.
The first time since 2012.
The horror!!! :eek2:

Just use Google maps and search for “barber” (“barbearia” in Portuguese) and also take a look at the images.

Some of the Porto barbers I knew may have closed during COVID for good, but one of the old-fashioned barber shops is ($) Barbearia Garrett (Rua de Ramalho Ortigão 16, Porto) or the more fashionable ($$$?) Barbearia Tinoco (Rua de Sá da Bandeira nº 13, Porto) - both near the Aliados Square (starting place for several Yellow, Red, Blue Tour Bus lines).

Don’t expect much in the way of high-end drugstores, but there is Perfumaria Capitólio on Rua de Santa Catarina 458 (Santa Catarina Pedestrian Area) in Porto. They also have products of the “Antiga Barbearia do Bairro“ line, which I quite like. You’ll be nearby if you visit the recently renovated Bolhão Market or Café Majestic.
Of course, there is also the ($$$$) Claus Porto (Musgo Real) store in Rua das Flores.

Otherwise, Gifts & Care work well and ship reasonably fast (I usually count on 2 working days).
They are based in Spain, but as it is within the EU there are no Customs procedures or charges.

If you are in a hotel receiving parcels should be easy if you notify the hotel beforehand, but if you stay in a B&B you need to ask, as some B&B are just renovated apartments and may not have any facilities to accept or hold parcels/mail.

Besides barber shops, I would not expect too much from Lagos as far as shaving is concerned.
The Alententejo is the bread basket of Portugal and towns tend to be small, Lagos, despite being one of the main towns in the Alentejo, having a population of just about 31,000, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps…

B.

Last edited:
Let me see…

Drogaria Lóios (near Rua das Flores) - Denim cream, Couto brushless cream, 444
Farmácia Moreno, at the bottom of Rua das Flores - Lavanda products and 444
If you are up in Carmo by Livraria Lello and Igreja do Carmo, there is a shop with Antiga Barbearia creams and Ach Brito aftershaves called Farmácia Lemos. À Vida Portuguesa next to Livraria Lello has a couple products.
There is a shop just up from the Ribeira, but it is more expensive for a tube of Lavanda. Can’t recall the name.
It’s always good to peak in to little markets, drogarias, and farmácias to see what is stocked, if you have time.
I purchased pre shave soap at a perfumeria on Santa Catarina, too. Mass, possibly?

Stop into Claus Porto to see the old products, but the price for their current creams isn’t the value it used to be.

Last edited:
Barbers you find in pretty much every town (there are two within 10 mins walking distance from me here in Coimbra and at least 1/2 a dozen within 5 mins driving), but you will have to decide between a classic (old professionals) barber shop and a hipster (“lifestyle experience”) barber shop. Plan on spending less than €10 on a shave as long as you stick to the former.

My barber shop raised prices by €1 recently.
The first time since 2012.
The horror!!! :eek2:

Just use Google maps and search for “barber” (“barbearia” in Portuguese) and also take a look at the images.

Some of the Porto barbers I knew may have closed during COVID for good, but one of the old-fashioned barber shops is ($) Barbearia Garrett (Rua de Ramalho Ortigão 16, Porto) or the more fashionable ($$$?) Barbearia Tinoco (Rua de Sá da Bandeira nº 13, Porto) - both near the Aliados Square (starting place for several Yellow, Red, Blue Tour Bus lines).

Don’t expect much in the way of high-end drugstores, but there is Perfumaria Capitólio on Rua de Santa Catarina 458 (Santa Catarina Pedestrian Area) in Porto. They also have products of the “Antiga Barbearia do Bairro“ line, which I quite like. You’ll be nearby if you visit the recently renovated Bolhão Market or Café Majestic.
Of course, there is also the ($$$$) Claus Porto (Musgo Real) store in Rua das Flores.

Otherwise, Gifts & Care work well and ship reasonably fast (I usually count on 2 working days).
They are based in Spain, but as it is within the EU there are no Customs procedures or charges.

If you are in a hotel receiving parcels should be easy if you notify the hotel beforehand, but if you stay in a B&B you need to ask, as some B&B are just renovated apartments and may not have any facilities to accept or hold parcels/mail.

Besides barber shops, I would not expect too much from Lagos as far as shaving is concerned.
The Alententejo is the bread basket of Portugal and towns tend to be small, Lagos, despite being one of the main towns in the Alentejo, having a population of just about 31,000, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps…

B.
I'm a regular customer of Gifts and Care, I may place an order and have it.shipped to my hotel but I'd like to find a shop that may have some items that I otherwise would be able to get.

As you'll be in Porto I suggest you take some time out to go to Vale De Cambra. There you will find Colep, the company who made Gillette aerosol shave foam under contract for many years. They started manufacture in 1977. I doubt Colep still make it there as they (ie Colep) moved it to their new Polish factory around 2005.
Before 1977 Gillette's Foamy contractor in Portugal was in or near Lisbon (I can't remember their name). Colep at that time was making and supplying the aerosol cans. When they branched out into contract manufacture Gillette was their first major customer and a special relationship developed and remained until P&G acquired Gillette.

FWIW, IMHO, Portugal is such a wonderful place to visit!
Lots of scenery, history, wines, food!
Don't waste time looking for shaving stuff!
What's there, you can easily buy online!!
Simply enjoy the country!!
Have a great trip! Post some pics!!

portugal scenes.jpg

This is from several years ago…

I already want to go back!

Top Bottom