What's new

Tough Mudders?

It was very tough (pun not intended), definitely tested the heck out of my cardio and mental fortitude.

I convinced a buddy of mine to go with me, but also ended up making some new friends while i was there.

I really wish i would have spent more time doing cardio, i was super tired when i crossed the finish line. Overall it was a great experience, but it was difficult at times. Worth the almost 2 hour drive to get there.

I'm very sore today.

Here's a pic from the start line:

proxy.php

While the experience was nice, it took a lot out of me. I'm not sure if i'll do one again. If i do, i'm gonna give myself a lot more time to train though.
What was your training regimen, this is a slow steady endurance event that requires a lot of cardio. What part of the event staggered you? Did you cramp up or was it just a over all feeling that makes you feel like not doing it again?

What was your training regimen, this is a slow steady endurance event that requires a lot of cardio. What part of the event staggered you? Did you cramp up or was it just a over all feeling that makes you feel like not doing it again?

I was doing workouts with light weight and a lot of reps (20-25 reps), hoping to build more muscle endurance, I was also running a bit more. I also train brazilian jiu jitsu, and rolling with people for a few hours, a few times a week kept my cardio at a decent level. But i guess the level of cardio needed for this, is a bit higher.

It was the runs that got the best of me, i ran them too fast in the beginning. I should have paced myself better.

I was doing workouts with light weight and a lot of reps (20-25 reps), hoping to build more muscle endurance, I was also running a bit more. I also train brazilian jiu jitsu, and rolling with people for a few hours, a few times a week kept my cardio at a decent level. But i guess the level of cardio needed for this, is a bit higher.

It was the runs that got the best of me, i ran them too fast in the beginning. I should have paced myself better.
What was your diet, it seems like it may have been a little bit of too much non event related training mixed in with some other activities.

A few years back i used to run from Philly to Camden NJ. Run a 10k race, run back to Philly, stop and play full court basketball for 2 hours, get back on the road and run across the Ben Franklin Bridge into Philly and finish my day. This took me 6 hours of mixed training. I trained like this for many years before my recent reconstruction shoulder and bicep surgeries grounded me.

My secret to endurance sports training was to keep strength, weight, endurance, proper food nutrition [ carbs, fats, protein, fiber] all in check, and the key element rest for recovery.

Egg whites, black beans, tuna with red and green bell peppers, tilapia with carrots and brocoli , vegetables, chicken breasts, protein shakes.

of course i have "cheat meal" during the weekends, the ocassional beers. Although i cut alcohol out completely one month before the event. I just needed to do more cardio, i'm at 5'5, 5'6 (on a good day), 160lbs lost 5 lbs training for this. It's all good though.

Egg whites, black beans, tuna with red and green bell peppers, tilapia with carrots and brocoli , vegetables, chicken breasts, protein shakes.

of course i have "cheat meal" during the weekends, the ocassional beers. Although i cut alcohol out completely one month before the event. I just needed to do more cardio, i'm at 5'5, 5'6 (on a good day), 160lbs lost 5 lbs training for this. It's all good though.
Those are good Macros and stats. You seem fit. I am 5'6 at 200 but i do lift and eat more. I think that you should increase carbs and fats for the next one. Your food intake is good for a weightlifter but not good for a sustained endurance and strength event. Eat more carbs and keep the same diet and you will store up enough energy to complete it. And next time your body will know how to react accordingly since this is a survival mode event.

We had a blast today! Super tired now. Two obstacles got me. I couldn't do the rings and I dropped off the monkey bars 3/4 of the way across. I have to get the upper body program going again! I'll post a couple photos later...

Post race! It was fun pushing her over the walls! She scared everyone a little, stopping on, rather than jumping over, the fire and into the water on the Phoenix obstacle! Great times! I'll see if I can get a couple more photos up soon. Again, if you think you can't do this, you can!!! My wife trained for about ten months in anticipation, but if you already exercise, you can get through a Mudder and have a blast, too. Get as big a group together as possible and have a great time! My college aged daughter was most impressed by the guy sharing his huge bottle of Jack Daniels in the post race area!

Last edited:
We had a blast today! Super tired now. Two obstacles got me. I couldn't do the rings and I dropped off the monkey bars 3/4 of the way across. I have to get the upper body program going again! I'll post a couple photos later...
Just doing 1/3 of that event is a astronomical feat.....

Post race! It was fun pushing her over the walls! She scared everyone a little, stopping on, rather than jumping over, the fire and into the water on the Phoenix obstacle! Great times! I'll see if I can get a couple more photos up soon. Again, if you think you can't do this, you can!!! My wife trained for about ten months in anticipation, but if you already exercise, you can get through a Mudder and have a blast, too. Get as big a group together as possible and have a great time! My college aged daughter was most impressed by the guy sharing his huge bottle of Jack Daniels in the post race area!
I love couples that do hard things together, it really adds a special long lasting chemistry to the relationship that enhances it for life.

Unfortunately, someone was killed at the event here last year. It looks like fun, but it's not something I could do just yet. I'd need to build myself up a bit more.

Heard about that drowning. The worst part about it was the delay in the diver going in after him. Here is a shot of Everest.
proxy.php

Getting some sleep - tomorrow is Mudder #4! Seven of us going out to Clewiston for some fun in the mud. We'll be doing a couple obstacles we haven't seen yet and the Legionnaires' Loop!

Did you do it in the misery? That must have been a nightmare, after all that training the weather is the enemy not fatigue or cramps.

Your so right Alex. Fatigue & lack of sleep is an inconvenience. The weather, environment and terrain is what one has to manage. Listen to your body and know how long it can last in certain environments. Otherwise you's toast.
My Brother in Law who is a fitness nut has invited me on the next one. Can't wait! Better yet, they have a kids one too! So I'll start my daughter on good physical fitness habits early.

Last edited:
I did this a few years ago in February. The run and obstacles were tough but reasonable. What sucked for me was the 35 degree temps and wind gusts up to 40mph. Lots of folk went to the ER.

Getting some sleep - tomorrow is Mudder #4! Seven of us going out to Clewiston for some fun in the mud. We'll be doing a couple obstacles we haven't seen yet and the Legionnaires' Loop!

Love it..... keep us posted, i am still at 80 percent on my ankle reconstruction and may skip it this year, dont want to chance it.

Your so right Alex. Fatigue & lack of sleep is an inconvenience. The weather, environment and terrain is what one has to manage. Listen to your body and know how long it can last in certain environments. Otherwise you's toast.
My Brother in Law who is a fitness nut has invited me on the next one. Can't wait! Better yet, they have a kids one too! So I'll start my daughter on good physical fitness habits early.

Where are you doing yours?

I did this a few years ago in February. The run and obstacles were tough but reasonable. What sucked for me was the 35 degree temps and wind gusts up to 40mph. Lots of folk went to the ER.

Winter Mudders are murderous, the icy weather and sweating is not ideal for some individuals, i have never competed in a cold sporting Mudder type event besides regular running and team sports.

I will say this. I am as proud of my orange headband from that February event as anything I have done. I wear it to any event I compete in just to remind myself of what not quit is. I have never been that cold in my life. Two weeks to heal the bruising and swelling over my whole body.

Top Bottom