What's new

Top of the line DE razors.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If someone asks what the Top of the Line cars are today, I don't think he is all that interested in that 1938 Bugatti you once drove

OP didn't mention today, he asked about top of the line razors ... right?

Bugatti was top of the line in 1938 but I'd probably go for the Talbot-Lago 150C teardrop coupe :001_smile
Talbot-Lago.jpg

Wolfman, Timeless, Blackbird & Charcoal to name a few for cost & craftsmanship. I enjoy the Blackbird. The Wolfman SB I own is perfectly built but I find the shaves no better than a lot of others.

My top of the line razor right now is the Razorock Baby Smooth. So good I placed another order last week from the recent batch. Beautifully built and shaves (me) better and more comfortably than any of the highly sought after razors mentioned above.

"Top of the line" doesn't mean much, IMO, unless you mean performance quality. My $20 German 37 is top of the line, but so is my $130 Wunderbar. The same goes for my $25 Hawk and my $140 Mongoose.

A price tag isn't synonymous with "top of the line."
"top of the line" means: of the best quality or among the most expensive of its kind available.
a good performing razor can be made out of plastic. I think franco was looking for good materials/craftsmanship and/or high priced.

I'd like to try a timeless OC, but those prices!

I've paid "top dollar" for a couple of the new fangled stainless razors and don't get me wrong, they are beautiful and well made, but my daily driver is a $20 NDC Old. Sometimes money really doesn't buy happiness :)

First of all I am a common sewer of DE & SE razors, vintage and current. I've had and shaved with Gillette double rings, big fellows, aristocrats from 3 piece oc to British, and America TTOs. Toggles, Executives, Presidents, Super Speeds and Rockets ...... a plethora of vintage slants. They are all good, some are great ..... but ..... now I would rate the must haves as ;
Timeless, Wolfman, Blackbird, Above the Tie Slants S1 & S2, Mongoose, ATT SE1, Razorock Wunderbar and DLC.
I've yet to score an LA BBS1 but I'm on the list. The current DEs & SEs listed above are all in my loose rotation, and I might shave with any one of them depending on the day. As in everything wet shaving, YMMV.

i meant highest quality machining. I should have clarified, my apologies.
If someone asks what the Top of the Line cars are today, I don't think he is all that interested in that 1938 Bugatti you once drove, what a great car your 1969 Camaro was, or why the 2017 Hyundai Elantra is the best value ever produced.

Maybe the OP could clarify what he's looking for. Otherwise this is a thread asking, "What is the best razor?" And I think we can all agree that's a pretty silly question.

BBS-1 is probably the top of the top. I can't think of anything else that can surpass the allure of this razor.

Wolfman or BBS-1. Both are made by the same person, I have 2 wolfmans and my most used razor, I'm still waiting for the BBS 1 list to get to my name. Wolfmans are attainable provided you buy a stainless one and get twitter notifications from them.

I would say Wolfman (And bbs-1 though I don't have a bbs-1) are up at the top. Next tier down I would say Above The Tie and the Blacklands Blackbird. I've had the Timeless also and it's very nice but for me I'd but it just below the ATT and Blackland

For me the Gillette New OC and Timeless OC are the two in my collection I would consider top end. If I only could have 2 these would be the two.

You have most of the 'usual suspects' in this thread. For me the answer is Wolfman, but the others are terrific also, just not my personal top of the line!

Guys, top of the line relates to each manufacturer or brand's top razor. Top of their range (of razors).
Name the brand and their top razor (in your opinion) please, gentlemen. That way it'll cater for budgets.
Even Weishi razors have a top of the line.....

I love my aggressive cut Wolfman OC, but for me the ATT H1 tops my top of the line razors in smoothness and longevity of shave. Took a little getting used to...

I've got Wolfman, ATT and Charcoal Goods, among many others. These three are the most refined among my herd. If I had to pick one, for both shave quality and workmanship combined, I'd pick the Charcoal. For pure workmanship, it's tough to match the Wolfman.

Top Bottom