What's new

Top of the line DE razors.

What are the top of the line razors? I own a Timeless.. There is Wolfman..

Pils and ATT...

Anything else? What are your opinions?

I've searched and haven't found a thread like this. I'd like to use this as my future purchase

The Double Ring Gillette OLD will forever be the absolute pinnacle of double edge razor design and technology, any change is a deviation from perfection. The Single Ring and ball-end OLD are adequate user grade versions that will satisfy the needs of the masses.

"Top of the line" doesn't mean much, IMO, unless you mean performance quality. My $20 German 37 is top of the line, but so is my $130 Wunderbar. The same goes for my $25 Hawk and my $140 Mongoose.

A price tag isn't synonymous with "top of the line."

In my book, for DEs I would pick, in order, the Charcoal Goods Level 3 antique bronze machined head open comb, PAA DOC Evolution stainless, Muhle R41 2011, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, ATT H2, Le Coq cage comb, Wolfman .74mm open comb and FaTip piccolo.

Price or performance? Top tier price doesn't exactly translate to top of the line, most exquisite shave ever. You can get an excellent shave with a $25 OLD or NEW OC and be happy the rest of your days. Now on just having something that is aesthetically beautiful and pure eye candy, that can still give an excellent shave and make you feel all warm and fuzzy regardless of price point is another thing. And to many here, it has it's merits. I would agree that looking at a finely crafted and machined tool made of an exotic alloy is pleasing to the eye and hold. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the quality of the shave and how it works for you. Whether it was $20 on an auction site or $500 on a finely crafted work of art from from the companies out there that produce them. I have been looking at one myself from Barbaros & Rocnel. Their all S/S Adjustable razor. ATT and Timeless have piqued my interest, but I would prefer to have the adjustable feature from the Barbaros & Rocnel for my money. And $300 big ones ain't cheap..... My 2 cents....:)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The AS-D2 is a top of the line razor with regards to engineering design, workmanship and materials. And its kind of up there price-wise too. However, I think one can get as good of a shave with a nice vintage Tech. I have especially been enjoying my British Flat Bottom Techs lately. And you could potentially buy 4 or 5 of them for the cost of an AS-D2. You might be able to get 10 vintage USA made Techs for that price if you shop around. As always its a matter of personal preference.

Gillette Old, New, English Aristocrat, US 1934 Aristocrat, Fasan slant. All easier to get hold of and mostly cheaper than a Wolfman or BBS-1, too.

Vintage Toggle

The "top of the line" to me means the razor that performs the best and looks great. And in my opinion there is no razor that performs as well as an English made Gillette. It matters not about which model you choose, they just shave better than the US made versions. But as in all things shaving YMMV!
:kyle1:

If someone asks what the Top of the Line cars are today, I don't think he is all that interested in that 1938 Bugatti you once drove, what a great car your 1969 Camaro was, or why the 2017 Hyundai Elantra is the best value ever produced.

Maybe the OP could clarify what he's looking for. Otherwise this is a thread asking, "What is the best razor?" And I think we can all agree that's a pretty silly question.

Top Bottom