What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

Here is the Double X label:
$NutriliteDoubleXFacts.jpg

Great thread idea. I have been considering starting a multi. I went to GNC to have a look and the fellow there recommended something new called Vita Freak. Odd name, but any thoughts on that one?

Great thread idea. I have been considering starting a multi. I went to GNC to have a look and the fellow there recommended something new called Vita Freak. Odd name, but any thoughts on that one?

Pixie-dusted multi-pack. Remember GNC employees (usually) will push whatever their bros tell them is good, or in most cases, whoever is paying the highest royalty. USP Labs for example used to pay $6-8 per product. You sell 8 tubs of jack3d in an hour and make $30-40 on top of your regular wage.

In each product i see that's lacking, I'll typically pick out an ingredient or two in order to reference it. Take the Ubiquinol in that pak; a standard does is anywhere from 50-200mg. That product has 5mg. Which will do absolutely nothing.

Again, with the "amino acids add-in". 100mg of leucine will do about as much as a spoonful of yogurt.

Thanks, it is really great that you take time to look at these products and respond to everyone's concerns.

I'll try the Anavite, which is cheaper and does not have silly packaging. Supplements seem to be rather more expensive in Canada than in the US.

So it seems like a lot of product put tiny amounts of things that sound good to cover up and charge more for what is actually an average/mediocre/useless product.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I was wondering about the Amino acids. I remember something from high school biology to the extent that amino acids were related to breaking down protein. So don't we get them from protein in our diet or protein supplements?

Thanks, it is really great that you take time to look at these products and respond to everyone's concerns.

I'll try the Anavite, which is cheaper and does not have silly packaging. Supplements seem to be rather more expensive in Canada than in the US.

So it seems like a lot of product put tiny amounts of things that sound good to cover up and charge more for what is actually an average/mediocre/useless product.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I was wondering about the Amino acids. I remember something from high school biology to the extent that amino acids were related to breaking down protein. So don't we get them from protein in our diet or protein supplements?

The food you eat, protein specifically breaks down into amino acids. There are certain foods with a much higher bioavailability (for instance cooks eggs over raw ones). Whey protein has iirc, the highest bioavailability, followed by eggs and then chix best. It's been awhile since I consulted my notes but that sounds right.

My beef (no pun intended) is these companies prey on vulnerable customers who look at these labels and think "Oh man, this has to be good, when in fact it's far from it. If you took nothing else, digestive enzymes and fish oil would be my two recommendations for anyone.

That's what I thought, the fellow at the store tried to sell me on amino acids and I though they were a bit redundant for me. Kind of like he was trying to make a commission or something... Interesting to know that the companies pay out hefty bonuses like that. When I worked in an outdoor store many manufactures offered a similar thing on certain pieces of clothing. I sold mainly gear, so rarely experienced them first hand.

This just proves that its always good to be skeptical of "magic" products that do everything. Without a more specialized knowledge or ample research supplements are kind of a mystery to most, so I imagine it is really easy for companies to sell people on the latest and greatest.

I tried the Life Force multiple recommended in this thread. but it didn't agree with me so I went back to Centrum Men's and felt better. Now I'm not taking one at all. I've come to the conclusion that these supplements with mega-doses of various vitamins are, at best, useless.

I tried the Life Force multiple recommended in this thread. but it didn't agree with me so I went back to Centrum Men's and felt better. Now I'm not taking one at all. I've come to the conclusion that these supplements with mega-doses of various vitamins are, at best, useless.

The food you eat, protein specifically breaks down into amino acids. There are certain foods with a much higher bioavailability (for instance cooks eggs over raw ones). Whey protein has iirc, the highest bioavailability, followed by eggs and then chix best. It's been awhile since I consulted my notes but that sounds right.

My beef (no pun intended) is these companies prey on vulnerable customers who look at these labels and think "Oh man, this has to be good, when in fact it's far from it. If you took nothing else, digestive enzymes and fish oil would be my two recommendations for anyone.

As I've stated a few times in here, a multi never a necessity, simply nutritional assurance.

@Illadelphia
First of all, thanks for your time posting so much info and answering so many questions.
I have a few for you.
What do you think about Solgar Male Multiple. The brand was recommended to me by an ND more than a decade ago so hopefully they are still good. I don't know how good their vitamin and mineral ratios are but they proudly state in the bottle:

Fully reacted chelates, Albion process patent No.’s 5,516,925 and 6,716,814 Chelazomes.
Not Genetically Modified, Soy From Nature.™

I'm also taking NOW Ultra Omega-3 (500 EPA/250 DHA). Having said that I'm in my 40's and started weightlifting again. Not since I was 31. I'm planning to make this a routine for the rest of my life as I understand that the older you get the more benefit you get from weightlifting (growth hormones and much more). Shall I switch to something like Gaspari Nutrition Anavite or is there something better for over-the-hill weightlifters?:biggrin1:

Finally what are your thoughts about pycnogenol (NOW, 100mg) and is it worth to take lutein & zeaxanthin and also Bilberry for my tired eyes? In any given work day I spend 6+ hours in front of computer terminals.

Thanks for this, is there a type of digestive enzymes and fish oil that is better to take than another, or just anything on sale at Walmart ok?

Animal Pak. used it for going on 10 years now.. been competing in powerlifting for 4 years now.. NONE of the animal/universal supplements have ever done me wrong.. and ill continue to only use their stuff.

Animal Pak. used it for going on 10 years now.. been competing in powerlifting for 4 years now.. NONE of the animal/universal supplements have ever done me wrong.. and ill continue to only use their stuff.

The formula is weak, under dosed and backed up by universal with only "30 years bro, best selling multi"
which lends the same generic credit to Centrum.

The brand has some awesome guys working for them but their products severely lack innovation

The formula is weak, under dosed and backed up by universal with only "30 years bro, best selling multi"
which lends the same generic credit to Centrum.

The brand has some awesome guys working for them but their products severely lack innovation

I've been lifting for them for years now, and love the pak. I've worked with them for many years at the Arnold and even ridden my motorcycle to Vegas from Detroit for the Olympia.. I'll gladly stand by their products any day

Top Bottom