What's new

The Wolf is not so Dire

Thanks for a great review, Dan :thumbup1:

The Wolfman is a very interesting razor, though I am still fully locked into the vintage camp. A gentleman gesture for sure to let you try it out.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. As you and I share the same taste in shaves I appreciate to learn what could be for me also.

Sorry pal but price is fair game..

These aren't cheap by any stretch. But if you're lucky to find the one (or two) that
completely satisfy you, they will spoil you for anything else. That means no trying
any and every new razor that pops up on the horizon. I've tried 99% of the vintage
razors I wanted to try....and a good number of modern offerings...and these are top of the heap
for me. Yes, they're outrageously expensive. But they're so good, I'm not interested in buying
up every other razor out there to try (and then sell for a loss if I don't like it).

From what Ive seen, there is some serious purchasing power on the shave forums,
much in the George Best vein. (I spent all my money on razors, brushes and soaps, the rest I
just wasted.)

I reckon there's a great razor for any budget out there. If you think a Wolfman is too pricey, try a UK Red Tip,
RFB, Aristocrat #15/#21 set. All amazing and smooth as hell.

For me the value of a Wolfman would be the product itself alone. I appreciate a well made, quality product. It's nice crafts-people exist to produce such items.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thanks for a great review, Dan :thumbup1:

The Wolfman is a very interesting razor, though I am still fully locked into the vintage camp. A gentleman gesture for sure to let you try it out.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. As you and I share the same taste in shaves I appreciate to learn what could be for me also.
Thanks, Peter. If you’re like me, you appreciate quality. In that regard, Wolfman reigns supreme.

Hannah's Dad

The WR2 guard bar has a thin slanted portion that sits just above the serrations.
That is the part that should rest against the skin for the perfect angle.
Thanks for that tip! I’ll look for that angle today.

Hannah's Dad

That made me chuckle. Given your appreciation for the best in razors, I would not be surprised if the jury brings back a guilty verdict.
Haha ... well, there was certainly more than just circumstantial evidence presented to the jury!

Hannah's Dad

I will say, however, that a part of me would be hesitant to buy the mirror finish version. I think I might be afraid to damage its perfection. So the more ‘economical’ version might be better for me. I do have other hands which like to play with daddy’s stuff.

Hannah's Dad

Day Two with the Wolf. It’s been less than 24 hours since the inaugural shave, and I was hoping for a better result. Today, I got it.

I swapped handles, opting for the H3, and I think that was a wise decision. It is a gorgeous handle and provides sufficient grip and control so as to allow the Wolf to howl.

I opted for a fresh Kai blade today, realizing that the width of this blade would provide more blade exposure, but relying upon the sharpness and smoothness of these legendary blades.

I rolled with Grooming Department pre-shave and Incense & Rose, and some Proraso Green splash for the finish. As usual, I face lathered with the brush I bought from Steve (@Graydog ) during last year’s cancer charity auction. This brush never fails to create a consistent and comfortable lather. It’s my island brush. Thanks again, Steve, for making this from a felled tree after a storm, and for offering it for a great cause. I often think of ‘Wonderboy’ from The Natural when I use this brush.

At the suggestion of this Wolf’s handler, as well as other users whose reviews I’ve read, I went steep for this shave — not quite handle-parallel but pretty close.

The first pass was sublime! Ridiculously smooth, and with only a hint of blade feel (which I like). I was unafraid to apply a bit of pressure, and so I did. I usually don’t rinse between passes (to continue the benefit of the pre-shave), but I had to know just how efficient the first pass was. And it was glassy smooth.

I probably could have stopped. But why? This razor is just too beautiful to be relegated to a single pass. So, passes two and three (XTG and AGT) were just as buttery smooth as the first.

I was interested in learning whether this razor is appropriate for daily shaving. For my face, and beard and technique, the answer is a resounding YES. The Proraso revealed only a very slight burn — certainly not unexpected with the sharpness of the Kai.

My face and trouble spots (neck) are a smooth BBS, and my skin feels hydrated and soft.

This Wolf needs a sharp blade, IMHO. I will try a fresh Feather for my Sunday morning shave. I cannot imagine that it will be better than the Kai, and I actually might be disappointed with the Feather. But I am curious.

Final thoughts: 1) despite initially preferring the barber pole handle, I’ve decided that I like the H3 better. It’s a perfect match, in my opinion. It has looks, grip, balance — it’s the total package. 2) this Wolf could very well be the RAD killer that some have predicted. I’ll spend more time with it, but it has made me revisit my previously-held opinions concerning modern versus vintage; 3) I am really thankful for getting the opportunity to try a Wolf. It’s a special piece of hardware!
9445F8B3-1701-44C1-B14A-E2F65F99807B.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

Here’s a handle length comparison photo — a 3rd Gen British Aristocrat, a Toggle and the H3 Wolfman.
84EAAA9D-09D1-4803-B110-F540E861999A.jpeg

Nice review, Dan. Maybe some day my luck will change. I will win the MegaMillion and on the same day hit the jackpot: find the Wolfman's shop is open and stays open. Most likely, I have better odds of hitting the Mega!

Top Bottom