What's new

The Wolf is not so Dire

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
After reading about Wolfman razors for quite a while, and often admiring from afar, I was finally able to take one out for a spin, thanks to an incredibly generous, and very trusting B&B friend, James (@loot).

He sent me a brand new mirror-polished WR2 1.25 SB with H2 and H3 handles. And before I describe the shave, I must comment on its build quality and beauty. It is, simply put, stunning. To hold it is to realize you’ve got an impeccably-manufactured instrument. Heavy but balanced. And the polish? Jaw-dropping.
image.jpg

Now the shave. I used the H2 handle, because I’m partial to the British Aristocrats, and I simply cannot resist the barber pole handles. I adequately prepped and sported a 2.5 day beard for this pilot shave. I used GD pre-shave and M&M Claddagh soap and AS. My blade was an Astra on its 3rd shave, and I face-lathered with a @Graydog custom synthetic handle.

I was tentative with the first pass — because of the 1.25 gap and because I wanted to show it respect. I went shallow with my angle, and I had a good deal of audible feedback. I left behind some stubble, and I felt a bit disappointed. For the second pass, I went a bit steeper and pressed a bit harder. It was very smooth and much more efficient. For the 3rd pass (AGT), I reverted to a more shallow angle, and it left my face very clean and very comfortable. My neck, in particular, was smooth in spots that ordinarily require some buffing. A fantastic 3 pass shave — despite my own user error on the WTG pass.

There was very little sting upon application of the AS, and my face now feels awesome. I get what all the fuss is about!!

I am going to shave again tomorrow with a single day’s growth — the Wolf deserves a run as a daily shaver if it’s going to survive in my den in ‘the North.’

Thanks again to my friend (and enabler) James for allowing me to experience this amazing, gorgeous piece of shaving nirvana.
BFFE0C9D-411E-44D7-8DE9-229CD2AE524F.jpeg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Nice Dan , Make sure you post after the next shave with a one day .
That is the true test , I always believed that if you can shave with it
everyday and have no irritation then it is a good razor.
Personally I still would never pay the price that James and flippers want for one of those Beautiful razors

Hannah's Dad

Agreed, Steve. But price is really a function of value and man does this razor ooze quality!
FBD7B33D-B812-4408-956B-C20675A33BE6.jpeg

I like my WR2.

But at the end of the day it's just a razor. There are several other very worthwhile razors out there but I do feel like these justify their as-new price. I still don't get why these things start religion level arguments; I really think people should try and acquire one and give it a shot. If you don't like it, sell it.

BTW I really like the shorter barber pole handle, as you mentioned. Probably the best handle without going to one of those folks that makes wild, custom 1 off handles.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like my WR2.

But at the end of the day it's just a razor. There are several other very worthwhile razors out there but I do feel like these justify their as-new price. I still don't get why these things start religion level arguments; I really think people should try and acquire one and give it a shot. If you don't like it, sell it.
Yep. And I highly doubt they'd lose any money selling it. But I'm with @Graydog : a tiny bit more than I could spend. The War Department would commit justifiable homicide on me.

FarmerTan

But man, @Hannah's Dad , congrats on having trusting friends like @loot . I knew I should've been nicer to him!
Seriously, that does look like some beautiful craftsmanship.

BTW I really like the shorter barber pole handle, as you mentioned. Probably the best handle without going to one of those folks that makes wild, custom 1 off handles.

Colour me strange, but I love the Guerrilla handle. So much, in fact, that I've been making myself similar handles out of aluminium. That 16mm width is just so nice.

Wolfman Guerrilla1.jpg
Wolfman MyGuer01.jpg

Yep. And I highly doubt they'd lose any money selling it. But I'm with @Graydog : a tiny bit more than I could spend. The War Department would commit justifiable homicide on me.

I'm fine with that.

I really am. I get that everyone has a limit to what they want to spend. Hell, I just went through it while car shopping. Still no 911 for me yet.

That being said, constant harping on price (to the degree where I've seen some collectors cross over into obsession about price) is really, really wack.

Hannah's Dad

But man, @Hannah's Dad , congrats on having trusting friends like @loot . I knew I should've been nicer to him!
Seriously, that does look like some beautiful craftsmanship.
It’s nothing I did to earn it, believe me. In fact, this same fine gentleman PIFed me a pristine 1965 Slim a couple of years ago when he saw me post that it was my grail razor. He just reached out and sent it to me. James’ random and gratuitous generosity was inspiring to me. Guys like James are special.

FarmerTan

I'm fine with that.

I really am. I get that everyone has a limit to what they want to spend. Hell, I just went through it while car shopping. Still no 911 for me yet.

That being said, constant harping on price (to the degree where I've seen some collectors cross over into obsession about price) is really, really wack.
Amen, to all of it. No 911 for me either, but if I get that incurable disease diagnosis, ALL BETS ARE OFF, lol. I should start a thread about what I told my wife I would do if that were to happen, but the mods would shut it down before I finished typing it!

FarmerTan

It’s nothing I did to earn it, believe me. In fact, this same fine gentleman PIFed me a pristine 1965 Slim a couple of years ago when he saw me post that it was my grail razor. He just reached out and sent it to me. James’ random and gratuitous generosity was inspiring to me. Guys like James are special.
Amen. Should I make a couple guys on here blush? Nah, they know who they are, but let's just say I'm tearing up right now thinking about their kindness to me. And I am truly the most despicable person on B&B, which proves their grace towards me was unconditional!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Price is a very personal desion .
I have no problem with anyone else that decided that they just had to have whatever.
My Wife looks at me now and shakes Her Head . She uses .99 cent disposable razors.
I have been married for 41 years and want to stay married :)

Congrats Dan on trying a WR2.. now hand strop a Feather and that Wolfie will get you BBS in 2 passes! Wolfman and Feathers are a match made in heaven! HR2 is my favorite shaving handle that James D offers.
Enjoy!

:thumbup1:

Hannah's Dad

Congrats Dan on trying a WR2.. now hand strop a Feather and that Wolfie will get you BBS in 2 passes! Wolfman and Feathers are a match made in heaven! HR2 is my favorite shaving handle that James D offers.
Enjoy!

:thumbup1:
Thanks, Frank! I am planning on trying a Feather before this Wolf goes back beyond the Wall.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks for sharing indeed. Great write up. Took me back to an old "in search of episode" . ... Finding the wolfman, or was it big foot. I forgot.

seriously you could shave in that mirror shine!

Hannah's Dad

Thanks for sharing indeed. Great write up. Took me back to an old "in search of episode" . ... Finding the wolfman, or was it big foot. I forgot.

seriously you could shave in that mirror shine!
I know! The mirror polish is truly remarkable.

Top Bottom