What's new

The Walking Stick

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I had no idea.

Its been picking up steam here in my area for the last 3 or 4 years. Its not common, but it is cool.

I had no idea either until the friend I know got into it. I've seen her gear. Her padded knee length smock weighs around 20lbs and I wouldnt want to get hit with her sword even wearing it. Its no joke.

The Stratford chapter shes a member of also teaches the Staff as a weapon and just about anything else anyone has a desire to learn.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My mother is 82. She still keeps her axe handle beside the door. Its older than I am lol.

Its also got a bit of a curve at the handle end and she uses it sort of like a cane when she carries it, and she doesnt need to carry it. I have seen her use it though lol.

LOL. When I was in basic and had to pull AO guard the Army would give two of us a flashlight and hickory axe handle each and tell us that if we ran into any trouble aim for the side of the knee with the axe handle.

I still have the 22 inch old hard rubber (I think it's rubber, it's hard) baton that an Lt. gave me when I first started. I put a Koga grommet on it so I could grip it properly by grasping the grommet. The grommet also kept it from sliding through the baton ring on your duty rig. It always has looked a little bent...I wonder what the Lt. did to bend it.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
LOL. When I was in basic and had to pull AO guard the Army would give two of us a flashlight and hickory axe handle each and tell us that if we ran into any trouble aim for the side of the knee with the axe handle.

My mother used the flat end where it would be inside the axe head against a thigh. It makes a loud clap, shocks and scares, but it doesnt do any damage.

Only worry when she givers it a spin in her hand. The edge is coming next lol.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There are even schools for it that teach all types of weaponry.

The Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts

Its actually pretty popular. A female friend of mine goes regularly. Full armour and she uses a Longsword. Its no toy either, but it does have blunt edges.

There used to be a club in Tulsa many years ago that would get costumed in Medieval period clothes and hold combat matches at Woodward Park. It was interesting to watch.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There used to be a club in Tulsa many years ago that would get costumed in Medieval period clothes and hold combat matches at Woodward Park. It was interesting to watch.

They had one in Ottawa not long ago apparently. Its on the Stratford chapters Facebook page.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
They had one in Ottawa not long ago apparently. Its on the Stratford chapters Facebook page.

Oh, yeah...those swords are not toys.

I saw a guy buckle his knees and almost get sent to the ground after he took a Longsword strike to the back of the thigh. There's a nerve just about half-way from the side of the thigh to the back of the thigh. It hurts like hell to get a knee strike there...don't ask me how I know.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I saw a guy buckle his knees and almost get sent to the ground after he took a Longsword strike to the back of the thigh. There's a nerve just about half-way from the side of the thigh to the back of the thigh. It hurts like hell to get a knee strike there...don't ask me how I know.

I thing my friends sword is 42"s OAL and 9lbs. I'll ask her and post back, maybe with a pic. It would break a leg, easily I would think.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a derby cane, somewhere. I stored it in the closet with my crutches and the wife keeps moving chit and I haven't been able to find it in months.

Soooo...I ordered the hickory derby cane. It should be here when I get back from out of state. I know I'll need it at some time or another. I got the 37" one and will see how it works. I can always cut a couple of inches off it if it's a bit too long.

Free Form Hickory Walking Cane

Two things came to mind today.

1. Another use for a rubber-tipped walking stick is to hold a door open for someone from the wrong side. Instead of standing right at the hinge side of the frame and stretching your arm way out, you can stand a little further inside (assuming the door swings out) and jam the tip under the middle of the bottom of the door. It leaves plenty of room for them to pass by you.

2. My late brother-in-law had a hobby of making walking sticks from "Diamond Willow". It's a deformity caused by a fungus, but looks pretty cool.
proxy.php

Sadly, I didn't get the chance to buy one from him.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Don't bring a sword to a bullwhip fight.

My father gave me a 10 or 12 foot bull whip when it was 11 or 12. I use to practice with it on a fence post. Flick the wrist just right and it would wrap around the post and a firm pull would lock it there as long as I kept the pressure on it. They can be indeed a very useful weapon in the right hand.

Common peroneal...one of the areas police were/are trained to strike with an impact weapon. I was an ASP instructor back when;
the peroneal, tibial, median, and radial nerve centers were prime targets. Yep...hurts like hell. Accurate description.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Update on the competition gear.

The Longsword was custom made in Hungary. With a custom made nicely worked leather sheath, cost was $650CAD.

Standard longsword composition (No. 7)

Customized with:

B-Blade, 35.8" length.

D-Cross Bar.

F-Pommel.

Plain leather grip covering.

Weight is 3.5lbs as built.

The jacket was custom made in Ukraine: European Gambeson Padding Jack with 2 Colors Option

Cost at the time was $305CAD.

Add on top of that, sword belt, the gauntlets which are leather and steel plate, arming cap(head gear), the pauldrons and couters both of which are 16g steel plate. All custom made by an instructor in Guelph Ontario with an English Wheel.

Tenacity comes with the entire get up once you put it all on lol.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lotta Mikes in this thread lol.

Aye.

So we've gone shillelagh have we now?

it's the same old shillelagh

Sure it's the same old shillelagh
Me father brought from Ireland.
And divil a man prouder than He,
As he walked with it in his hand.
He'd lead the band on Paddy's Day