What's new

The under $10 restoration challenge.

Ok, pics tonight of my razor that I've chosen I promise :tongue_sm

I'm actually done on the blade work and hope to make some scales later this week.

Really love this thread and think it will be a great one for ongoing work. I have many $10 specials lying around and this might be enough motivation to get to them.

Here are some pictures of my $10 special. I picked it up in a lot from Antique Hoosier here on BST that had 10 razors for $89. I think I have another one or two from that lot I could post.

Well here she is. A sad looking 6/8 Joseph Rodgers & Sons Wedge.

I'm done on the blade and just need to make scales and hone her up. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll get to it.

Anyway, here are my before pictures:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't know, but the nice thing is that you've got nothing to lose. Mine has deep pitting too, but I've decided to do whatever it takes to shine it up... and if it's ruined in the process, at least I've gained experience. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on whether the edge being too thin can ruin the shavability...

Well, maybe we should have a $10 restoration challenge each month! Then I can adopt a new AD... Junk Straight Acquisition Disorder!

Good point, I did get myself into a little trouble, but think I have over come the problem, we will see after I work through the finer grits.

Can anyone tell me where to find the little washers, is there a type of business that would use them besides straight edge restores?

Good point, I did get myself into a little trouble, but think I have over come the problem, we will see after I work through the finer grits.

Can anyone tell me where to find the little washers, is there a type of business that would use them besides straight edge restores?

microfasteners.com

You want the size 0 washers.

Here's my entry. I restored this one as a custom rebuild for someone. The razor was purchased in a lot. Enjoy the pics! I have more in my restore thread.

Purchased this big guy for $5. Restore to be commenced immediately if not sooner.

The only bummer is that there is etching on the blade that I certainly will not be able to save.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Purchased this big guy for $5. Restore to be commenced immediately if not sooner.

The only bummer is that there is etching on the blade that I certainly will not be able to save.

No, but if you can save the razor and make it shave again then that is a job well done. :thumbup1:

Okay expert help needed. I thought I would try the challenge, I don't shave with straights so don't know what is okay and what is not. I got the blade so so and unpinned it from the scales today. Then proceeded to drop in on the hardwood floor. I knocker the toe off. Can I grind it like so (see marker) and still have an okay blade or should I destroy it.

Last edited:
That should be fine. Just make sure you don't over heat it. If it starts getting warm to the touch, dunk it in some cold water. Take your time and don't blow the temper.

That should be fine. Just make sure you don't over heat it. If it starts getting warm to the touch, dunk it in some cold water. Take your time and don't blow the temper.

Thanks Chris: I'll give it a try if I run in to trouble I'll send to you:001_smile I'm in Saskatoon.
Daryl

Legion

Staff member
Always try to keep the spine/blade up/down in rotation to the rotation of the grinder. Never turn it sideways.

Keep a glass of cool water next to you and keep dunking it like crazy. Never let it get hot to the touch, especially the thin edge side, which will want to heat up quickly.

Always try to keep the spine/blade up/down in rotation to the rotation of the grinder. Never turn it sideways.

Keep a glass of cool water next to you and keep dunking it like crazy. Never let it get hot to the touch, especially the thin edge side, which will want to heat up quickly.

Oops again I did it the wrong way, but on a slow belt sander, I couldn't wait. It looks okay but I'm upset with myself for breaking it. Tomorrow it will get a close inspection.

Well I finally finished up that sad looking Joseph Rodgers & Sons 6/8 near wedge posted above.

I'm glad this challenge came about as I had ideas for this blade when I got it and this thread inspired me to get it done.

Let's just say......ummmm.....that I made a few modifications. First time I did some dremel work. Scales are black & tan G10 and wedge is white G10 lined black G10.

I really like how it turned out and it now has made my personal collection. Hope you enjoy :thumbup1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
Wow!

Just a subtle change, then? :wink2:

Great stuff!

Have you honed it yet? I have been thinking of doing some spine work on a couple of razors I have, but I'm a bit nervous that it will give me problems at the honing stage.

Top Bottom