What's new

The under $10 restoration challenge.

Wow!

Just a subtle change, then? :wink2:

Great stuff!

Have you honed it yet? I have been thinking of doing some spine work on a couple of razors I have, but I'm a bit nervous that it will give me problems at the honing stage.

Honing was a bit tricky. I initially used one layer of tape on the spine and started the bevel. Very quickly I was not happy with how wide the bevel became.

I took the razor back to 400 greaseless and up through the rogues to erase those bevel marks.

I then used 3 layers of tape, turned my chosera 1K on its side (its 15mm deep) and went to town with rolling x-strokes. The bevel was much more of an acceptable level and using the narrow hone allowed me to hit all portions of the edge evenly.

I then did a normal dilucot with rolling half strokes and shaved last night. The edge was good and I got a DFS, but it's not quite there yet. I'll take it to the hybrid side of my Les Latneuses this evening with thin slurry to water and that should bring out the best of the edge. The Les Latneuses has yet to let me down (I was using another new coticule to me initially and haven't learned that one just yet).

It was a fun project and this thread inspired me to finally do something I'd been planning in my head for awhile.

Well I finally finished up that sad looking Joseph Rodgers & Sons 6/8 near wedge posted above.

I'm glad this challenge came about as I had ideas for this blade when I got it and this thread inspired me to get it done.

Let's just say......ummmm.....that I made a few modifications. First time I did some dremel work. Scales are black & tan G10 and wedge is white G10 lined black G10.

I really like how it turned out and it now has made my personal collection. Hope you enjoy :thumbup1:

You did all that spine work with just a Dremel? Wow that's amazing! How long did it take to grind all that steel?

I'm going to have to access my entry a little more before I start on it. I'm not sure if it can be done in a month with the "all-by-hand" method I will be using.

Okay, I'm in!

Got this one for $8 in a flea market today, I guess a light polishing will be enough to bring it back to life :tongue_sm

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Alright, I just picked up this today from a lady I met at an antique store.
She said she had a few razors in a box in her basement and didn't think I would be interested, but if I wanted to look at them I could.

So here is my entry. A $3.00 Dubl Duck Satinwedge.

It shows a bit heavy but even hone wear and quite a bit of rust on tang and spine.

I haven't thought about what to use for scales yet. Lets just see how she cleans up first.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alright, I just picked up this today from a lady I met at an antique store.
She said she had a few razors in a box in her basement and didn't think I would be interested, but if I wanted to look at them I could.

So here is my entry. A $3.00 Dubl Duck Satinwedge.

It shows a bit heavy but even hone wear and quite a bit of rust on tang and spine.

I haven't thought about what to use for scales yet. Lets just see how she cleans up first.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Satinwedges are actually quite easy to clean up due to the wedge grind. The full hollow other DDs on the other hand....

For scales I would go with Jade G10 to match the original color of the celluloid scales of them.

Top Bottom