What's new

The "Try a New SE" PIF

I have been pretty busy so I haven't been updating with each shave. It seems each shave is getting a bit better. I am getting closer to getting the angle down, it's good on most spots but I am still having troubles on some places. I am still getting irritation but not like I was at first.

Had a really nice shave with my 1912 both today and yesterday. I changed my grip to a gentle pinch grip right at the top of the handle. I also strayed from my usual 2 pass plus touch ups (WTG, ATG) when I began noticing my "touch ups" were really more of a third pass. So I added XTG in the middle and got two really close shaves these passed two days. And my skin doesn't seem to be complaining either.
I have been pretty busy so I haven't been updating with each shave. It seems each shave is getting a bit better. I am getting closer to getting the angle down, it's good on most spots but I am still having troubles on some places. I am still getting irritation but not like I was at first.
Glad you're still hanging in! I notice with these coated stainless blades that the first 2-3 shaves can be like walking through a minefield of nicks and irritation. But shaves 3-4 on get noticeably smoother while still cutting whiskers very effectively. I wonder if this is why some of the LOSERs on here prefer the carbon steel blades. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

I used the 1924 again today with col conk bay rum soap, a vie long horsehair brush, and captains choice "cat 'o' nine tails" bay rum aftershave, overall a great bbs shave, I did knock off a scab from a nick last week and make it bleed a bit. No big deal though, still using the same blade as well.

I'm having an odd issue with the G bar and all of my SE's. See, I really like my SEs, and each shave gets quite a bit better. I guess though that consistantly using the same razor is messing with my head, because I REALLY miss some of my DEs.

In any case, I had a good shave with the G-bar, using QCS Woodland Breeze. No nicks, no cuts, etc.

I'm having an odd issue with the G bar and all of my SE's. See, I really like my SEs, and each shave gets quite a bit better. I guess though that consistantly using the same razor is messing with my head, because I REALLY miss some of my DEs.

In any case, I had a good shave with the G-bar, using QCS Woodland Breeze. No nicks, no cuts, etc.

It's the variety bug. I have it too. My cleaned and sparkly DE's keep staring at me from the cabinet!

Thanks for sticking it out and seeing if you can tame the beast. While it's absolutely awesome to see so many people having a great time of it right out of the gate, I think it's also incredibly helpful for other folks to see that these razors aren't magic, that they can take some time to adapt to and may just not be for everyone.

I notice with these coated stainless blades that the first 2-3 shaves can be like walking through a minefield of nicks and irritation. But shaves 3-4 on get noticeably smoother while still cutting whiskers very effectively. I wonder if this is why some of the LOSERs on here prefer the carbon steel blades. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

I've noticed the same thing myself. In my entirely subjective, non-scientific opinion, carbon steel blades are smoother on the first use but start to dull quicker. The coated stainless steel blades are a little harsh initially but mellow after the first shave or two, and stay comfortably sharp longer. Some guys work around this by corking their blades to mellow them out before the first use.

Absence makes the face grow fonder. :biggrin1:

I do like to mix things up between all my various types of razors, too. When I travel and only take one razor with me, coming home feels like this:

$3recwf.jpg

Third blade change on the injector today. Just did a two pass WtG and XtG, caught a weeper under chin, but nothing to write home about.

As I am getting close to the end of the two week everyday use I can say with confidence I would recommend an Injector of any persuasion to someone who wanted to try it out. (Kinda funny, this did what I wanted the Cobra Classic to do)

Last nights shave was
EverReady 1912
Gem stainless blade
Cade soap
Rooney two tone size 1
Alum
Thayers lavender

Last night was much better than my last shave! This time I used a new blade and the results were a bbs shave.the problem with my last shave was a dulling blade and the wrong angle. I corrected everything and ended up with one of my closest shaves yet. .
I will definitely be putting se razors in my rotation for now on!

One last question. Did cooncat Bob make custom handles for the 1912? I like the weight of the razor but prefer it to be a little heavier.

After taking a brief hiatus from SE shaving, I had my 7th shave with my GEM Micromatic Open Comb singe edge razor. I had a brand new GEM razor blade in it, used C.O. Bigelow shaving cream, Escali badger brush, and Pinaud Clubman AS. What can I say, BBS smooth! No nicks, no cuts, and only a two pass shave. Love it! (Aside, purchased three vintage DE razors and have yet to use them!)

After a few days of great shaves, I pushed the blade a bit too far and got some tugging and irritation with my 1912 today. Oh well, the fabulous scent of Musgo Real AS cheered me up just fine!

Just checking in. I was only using the blades a couple times because they were so rough. Seems like I should keep at them a few more days. I found GEM blades locally so will get some in a few days. Everything is going O.K. I don't know, I can get a decent shave but there is still a lot of tugging. I will have to see if the blades get better after more shaves. I may try to find a cork and cork one.

After shaving today I have used the G-1 Injector 13 times in 15 days. After the first two shaves I got the angle down and by golly I love it. SE Saturday has arrived in my rotation. Thanks to the donor! I realise I may be the "gushing" one out of the recipients but I had all but written off SE shaving and put my name in the hat for one more shot. I may look for a different color handle and when I do I will re-PIF the current model I am working on, maybe someone else can fall for the Injector!

Well, I was gonna wait till morning but decided to shave tonight. I used Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper in shave stick form. I face lathered using my Vie-Long butterscotch horse. On to the 1912 and the blade. I had used this blade yesterday and it was rough as it usually seems to be on the first shave. I was going to cork the blade. I looked for a cork, but couldn't find one. I raided my wife's craft room and found about a 3" Square of suede leather.

She needed suede for jewelry and didn't want to pay what they were asking for suede. I came up with the idea of going to Goodwill and getting suede jackets to cut up for material. A whole jacket was only $4.

My train of thought got derailed, sorry... I stropped the blade (out of the razor) on the suede, probably about 12 times on each side.

This resulted in a very nice shave, definitely the best shave I have got with the 1912 so far. The blade was much smoother, about like a red Personna blade in a DE.

At this point, I can't see myself going to a SE for every shave, but it would be nice in rotation. The 1912 works great, but I just wish there were more blade choices for SE razors. If feather got into the SE market that would be perfect!

I decided to use some Real Shaving Company cream and mow off about 2-3 days growth with the G-bar. Love the cream! For only $4 here, it's one of the best I've ever used. Decided to put a fresh Pella blade in the razor and did a 2 pass, completely BBS shave. Awesome!

Well, I tried my OCMM today to compare with the shaves I've been getting out of the 1912 these past couple of weeks. I have to say that it seems the OCMM is easier to get a good non-irritating angle for me while still getting a close shave. Maybe I'll try to acquire a Damaskeene and give it a whirl. I have to admit, I like having the handsome 1912 sitting in my razor stand.

Well, I was gonna wait till morning but decided to shave tonight. I used Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper in shave stick form. I face lathered using my Vie-Long butterscotch horse. On to the 1912 and the blade. I had used this blade yesterday and it was rough as it usually seems to be on the first shave. I was going to cork the blade. I looked for a cork, but couldn't find one. I raided my wife's craft room and found about a 3" Square of suede leather.

She needed suede for jewelry and didn't want to pay what they were asking for suede. I came up with the idea of going to Goodwill and getting suede jackets to cut up for material. A whole jacket was only $4.

My train of thought got derailed, sorry... I stropped the blade (out of the razor) on the suede, probably about 12 times on each side.

This resulted in a very nice shave, definitely the best shave I have got with the 1912 so far. The blade was much smoother, about like a red Personna blade in a DE.

At this point, I can't see myself going to a SE for every shave, but it would be nice in rotation. The 1912 works great, but I just wish there were more blade choices for SE razors. If feather got into the SE market that would be perfect!

Nice idea stropping on some leather. I think you actually can get some Feather SE blades. They're made to fit a Valet Auto Strop, but they will work in a 1912 as well I think. Check out this thread.

Had my 8th shave today with my GEM Micromatic Open Comb. Another wonderful shave, no irritation. I had 3 days of growth and the GEM MM made short work of it in one pass. Did the second pass to clean up any remainder, but man do I love SE razors! This is my go-to if I want a close shave. Used L'Occitane Cade shave soap and Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum AS.

I'm a bit late with my 2 week update. Sorry guys.

Shaved with the GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf for 2 weeks and it was quite a learning experience the whole time. The first few shaves were terrible but once I changed the blade things changed quite dramatically. The next several shaves went without any major damage caused. It was during these shaves that I really learned how this razor worked and how the shaves with it were meant to feel. I was impressed at how close the shaves were and how long they lasted. Several hours longer than some of my run of the mill DE shaves. However, the shaves still did cause a bit of irritation and the nicks and cuts I caused in the earlier shaves did not heal easily. I think this was mostly due to shaving too often and not giving things a break. The last shaves were done with 2 different blades(of the same type) and were mixed results. Not nearly as bad as the first shaves but still a good amount of irritation.

I read the comment corking the blades a little too late but I think I'll give that a go next time I load it up. I think I may need to find a couple of other blades to try as well. The shaves that worked were awesome but I think I just don't agree with these blades. I'm not sure where this razor stands as far as aggression compared to other SE's but I think I might need to find a milder razor as well.

Although I can't say I'm a LOSER yet, but I will throw this guy into the rotation and see how things develop as I become more comfortable with it. I'll grab some other blades to test out as well. It may be a little while as I was the recent recipient of a PIF'ed shavette and have already started putting to the test. When I get over my excitement I'll get back to my normal rotation.

Thanks again to the donor of these razors! It was an awesome trial and I really enjoyed the chance to give an SE a try! And thanks to Porter, our awesome host, in organizing and supporting the process! (And for answering all my stupid questions! :lol:) I'll be sticking around to read all the other gents reviews.

Had my 9th shave with my GEM Micromatic Open Comb today. Wonderful, as always. I am so happy to have received such a wonderful razor. I now view my DE razors as inferior, but I won't give up on them.

Top Bottom