What's new

The "Try a New SE" PIF

Yes, thisis my chance to become a LOSER hahaha, haven't received a PM Yet though. Very Generous and I hope to give it some spins and i will post how I fell about it.

Oh my, I have the very worst luck with these random draw PIFs. 71% odds... Ah well! Congrats to all you Winning LOSERS (I mean that in the nice way. :a2:). I can't wait to see the reviews. Will they be done here? Or in new, individual threads?

Do you use any angle at all with a g-bar or just rest the flat of the blade holder right on your face?

I think some guys do use it more like the Micromatics with it flat against their face, but personally I find I get better results with it when I treat it more like the 1912 and keep the flat of the head up off my face a little bit -- still a fairly shallow blade angle, but I don't seem to get enough bite if I keep it flat. YMMV, though, so let us know what you find.

I can't wait to see the reviews. Will they be done here? Or in new, individual threads?

Here in this thread, just to keep everything all together. Of course, if folks want to post full-on reviews over in the Reviews section and then link to them from here, that's cool too.

Wow...excellent, very generous PIF! I'm almost embarrassed to say that I have a sample of every one of these razors...and except for the Schick injector, they're all in my rather-extended rotation. Obviously I'm not in on this but just wanted to commend you for this great offer and encourage anyone who hasn't experienced the joys of SE shaving to jump on this offer and give it a try!

How aggressive is a open comb micromatic compared to let's say an EJ89?

It's a very different feel so I can't honestly say if one is more aggressive than the other. Either one will bite you if you don't treat them with respect. The Micromatic may be less forgiving to bad technique.

A lot more aggressive, but more due to blade gap and exposure. It just requires a much flatter angle though. Once you get it, it's a breeze.

So is there a place that I can read up on a tutorial on how to use an SE? I looked in the stickies here but didn't find anything. Just wanna be prepared for when mine arrives. :biggrin1:

Flatter angle, starting flat against the face, or close to it. Otherwise, same rules as DE technique, pretty much.
Okay that sounds like a plan. Thanks sychodelix! Looking forward to giving it a try. I enjoy using my injector but I would assume its a bit different than using the other SE's.

Just a quick update: The packages are going out today, so you all should get them as soon as the USPS can get them to you. In the meantime, if anyone else has technique or other questions before the razors are in your hands, fire away.

proxy.php

Just a quick update: The packages are going out today, so you all should get them as soon as the USPS can get them to you. In the meantime, if anyone else has technique or other questions before the razors are in your hands, fire away.
Ooooow, wonder which box is mine! Thanks again for the awesome PIF Porter! Really looking forward to reviewing and hearing others reviews as well!

Ooooow, wonder which box is mine! Thanks again for the awesome PIF Porter! Really looking forward to reviewing and hearing others reviews as well!

The real thanks go to our anonymous donor. I just handled the orchestration here in the forum.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say, too. :badger:

The real thanks go to our anonymous donor. I just handled the orchestration here in the forum.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say, too. :badger:
Well many thanks for the orchestration of the PIF. And thanks to the donor. Wherever you are, thank you!

Ok, how does the Shovelhead compare to the Open Comb Micromatic and the Feather Weight?

In my experience the Feather Weight is very mild. The Open Comb Micromatic can be really aggressive unless (as sychodelix pointed out) you keep it close to flat.

Any recommendations on technique or anything else to expect?

Last edited:
Top Bottom