What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XII

30 degree monday cookoff
109470D0-98D0-45DB-B301-3402052543C9.jpeg

0C3056D2-2BF3-437D-A5A5-0DC06C0D6669.jpeg

I have nothing on the grill (since I can't grill). I have been telling myself all winter (here in Illinois) that this is the year that I'm going to begin to learn how to grill. I need to concentrate this year on learning and being proficient in the basics (like temp control). I want to learn using a charcoal grill (I need to buy a decent one). I'll be asking you guys for some advice.

All I can say is wow!!! You're a tough man. Although, smoking brisket at 110 in Texas has its merits.

hey I’ll take the heat over the snow any day. And you use a lot less fuel! I went through a ton today.

I have nothing on the grill (since I can't grill). I have been telling myself all winter (here in Illinois) that this is the year that I'm going to begin to learn how to grill. I need to concentrate this year on learning and being proficient in the basics (like temp control). I want to learn using a charcoal grill (I need to buy a decent one). I'll be asking you guys for some advice.

I would start with a charbroil grill with a side smoker box. They are around 200. That will let u do regular grilling and slow and low smoking to get some practice. The metal is thinner so it doesn’t retain heat as well in colder temps but great starting grill none the less.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

One word for a regular charcoal grill...Weber.

For a smoker a Weber Smoky Mountain is good, but I like offset stick burners. I'm needing a new stick burner and don't want to pay $1,000 for one, so I'm looking at one of these that I've seen in action.

I was actually just online looking at the Weber kettle grill. My basis for starting with that one is that I know someone who is very good on the grill and his only grills are 2 Webers.

I was actually just online looking at the Weber kettle grill. My basis for starting with that one is that I know someone who is very good on the grill and his only grills are 2 Webers.

If all you want to do is grill. Weber kettle is definitely the way to go. I have a performer pro I use for cooking burgers, steaks, chicken etc. I’ll use it to smoke a single slab of ribs ans tomahawk steaks. Smoking with a Weber just takes A little extra practice and you don’t get as much space to work with. Also adding in fuel gets a little trickier.

should also mention You can do some awesome grilled pizza on those as well. Another favorite of mine in the summer.

Grilling is typically done directly/indirectly over or near the coals. I like to think of backyard bbq cooking burgers brats hotdogs wings when I’m talking about grilling.

With smoking you are typically involving the use of wood chips, chunks or logs. Smoking is generally done with bigger chunks of meat and done indirectly at lower temps. You will see a lot of reference to the slow and low method which is cooking your meat indirectly for a long time at a low temperature (225f) for a long period of time so that you dont over cook the outside of the meat. Cuts of meat you typically smoke are pork butts, ribs, thick rib eyes (tomahawk steaks), brisket. Some of those meats can take 16 hours depending on how big of a piece of meat it is. Dont let that scare you away though because there are ways to do it quicker. This is why pellet grills have gotten so popular. You can just set it and let it go without needing to tend to it. The smoker I have pictured above requires attention and having to add more wood chunks as the cook goes.

You can cook some of those faster. Like the pork butt I did today I smoked at 300 for 11 hours.

Pork Ribs are a great place to start because they can be done in 6 hours and can be done on 22” Webber kettle.

Reactions: Jim

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Nice!!
I’ve got 2 New York Strips
2 bacon and cheese 1/2lb burger patties
3lbs jumbo shrimp
Chicken Legs
Asparagus
Red Taters for mashed taters
Portobella Mushrooms for wife’s steak toppings

I just finished cleaning weapons and polishing boots and cleaning gear. Now gonna fire up the pit.

It’s gonna be a good day!

Jerky time! Made 2 batches over the weekend, normally I mix up my own homemade brine, but this time I used HiMountain original jerky seasoning. I am very happy with the results, anxious to try some of the other flavor blends.
A171063D-E142-4023-A4A3-DD4CFD5E14E3.jpeg

Top Bottom