What's new

The tales of a one eyed man.

I have never had any luck when I have ordered anything from outside of the US other than Canada. Always seems to get lost or the orders get canceled. The last time was a few Christmas ago when my wife wanted this dinner ware set. I ordered in October and in January tracking said it made it to customs and was being sent back to Germany. I did get a full refund but that was the last time I have tried to order outside the US/Canada. I found them at Bullgoose, a little pricey but 10-15 shaves a blade at 100 blades I’ll most likely never need to order them again.

Has that happened to any of you? Use a blade once and say”Yup, need to buy a metric ton of these!”? Cause that’s where I am right now Lol!
In the beginning of my journey pretty much. I have KCG, Dorco Titan and Tiger Platinum all in spades (and combined with the other heap I have enough blades to see me well into my 80s). In hindsight I should have gotten additional Titans instead of Tigers.

Hope you are feeling better than in the picture.

Guido

I hate this hobby!
Yeah we all say that at some point...
I dunno, just guessing here but I'd say judging by your pic that your attitude's 100% in place.
BADABOOM! I'll be here for a few days.

IMG_0493.jpeg

Glad you're doing well.

Sunday the 28th of April

Well another Sunday is wrapping up let’s get into the shave.

Perfect shave, I think if all I had was my ‘64 Aristocrat I would be happy. Used the same Nacet blade as yesterday, thats 2 shaves same blade. Plan on using it again tomorrow. Lathering was a breeze today, Maggards brush and Neon Sun lathers like a dream. Im really liking the knot on this brush. Now I am no expert, far from it, I’ve been reading as much as I can about different knots, sizes, lofts, what they are made from. It’s all very interesting and overwhelming at times. There are just so many options. Don’t even get me started on handle shapes and sizes and what they are made of. What’s all your favorites and why? More importantly how did you decide it was your favorite?

To follow up on blade talk from yesterday, the Nacet I think for sure is a keeper and I need to grab some before they go through the roof in price.

Also, I am glad I participated in my first group challenge with Vintage April, but I can’t wait to use some of my other razors!

Non shaving news for the day. It’s gonna be a busy week, end of the month for work thats always a busy day and this month I have 4 hours worth of tests and doctors appointments on the 30th as well. It’s gonna be fun.

I walked out into my yard this morning and I think Milo might be related to Andy Dufresne, he literally dug a tunnel that I could not see him in. Crazy Bast*rd.

That’s all my ramblings for the day. Shave of the day Pic and a pic of my favorite Disney tattoo, it’s not mine, just a favorite.

E6621713-02A2-4483-91C8-0F2B5B0E3E48.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

It’s all very interesting and overwhelming at times. There are just so many options.
Absolutely!
Don’t even get me started on handle shapes and sizes and what they are made of.
+1. I am still figuring out what loft actually does to a brush and why 1mm difference would actually make a difference.
What’s all your favorites and why?
I surely have a few. The Razorock 400 is an absolute favourite. Lathers brilliantly and looks stunning. Next to that are my Abe’s Brush Works. I truly like all four of them (G5C, STF, SilkSmoke and Synbad). The Big Bruce and Beehive are amazing too. And my Yaqi Lucky Dice is also quite nice.

I think I prefer synthetics.

More importantly how did you decide it was your favorite?
Purely trial and error. My second brush was an Omega Boar. My third the RR400 which I actually bought because of the design and I wanted to try a synthetic. Never looked back. It’s Plissoft and so are the Bruce and Beehive so those were auto approved when I so graciously received them. I particularity like the Bruce handle - just fits.

The Abe brushes are amazing because of the fact my dad turned the handles. He has done an outstanding job on aesthetics and functionality even though these were amongst his first tries.

I have a Semogue SOC badger because I love their handle design. The knot is really dense and while also nice it’s not over of my Plissoft brushes.

Cheers,

Guido

Wednesday the 1st of May

What a crazy 2 days it has been. Yesterday up and out of the house 4:30am at work 5:20. Left at 7am to go to doctors visit and tests. Arrived at 7:30 and was happy that only had to go up 3 levels in the parking garage. I’ve said this to my cardiologist before, that parking garage is no good for a person with Heart Condition and drives a pickup way bigger than he needs, so only having to goto the 3rd floor was a relief.

So my first stop at the cardiac center was a device check. They put this thing on my chest for like 2 seconds and the computer starts talking to my pacemaker. First thing they did was slow my heart down which is a weird feeling, then they crank that thing to 11 and my heart feels like it’s going to beat out of my chest. It’s the craziest thing and it’s the 3rd time I have had it done and I don’t think I will ever be used to it. They did tell me everything on the report was good. Only had one blip and it was at 5:40 am on a Monday morning in January, said my heart fluttered for 8 beats and then went back to normal. I said well that’s about what time I’m getting to work on a Monday. She laughed and said yup that’s probably it.

Next was see my cardiologist, he looked at my pacer report and the blood test results, said everything was good. He did raise the mg’s on my cholesterol pill from 10 to 20, he said it’s genetics because he knows what my diet is, and I eat nothing high in cholesterol and mostly everything is low to none.

After that it was a new one for me. It’s called the 6 minute walk. For those of you who have never heard of it, they set up 2 cones 50 feet apart and you have to walk back and forth for 6 minutes. They count your laps and I really don’t know after that. I’ll get those results in June

Then it was onto the stress test. I made it 9 1/2 minutes and to the 4th incline before my breathing started to get labored and I quit. The problem is they monitor your breathing the whole time and you’re wearing a mask like Bane. It’s very uncomfortable and makes breathing kind of difficult. But I 100% better than I did the first time.

After all of that I went back to work, for there around 12:00 left at 2 got home I exhausted. But still had work left to do and finally got it all done around 6:45pm. After that I just sat in my recliner and just chilled.

Today was just a busy day at work, but I came home to a box on the table, I forgot that a RR Hawk I bought from Rudy was showing up today!

Now for the Shave I used the Hawk, Catie’s Bubbles Barnegat Bay, RE synthetic brush and Kai Captain Titan Mild. All i can say is WOW what a great shave. That HAWK is like a squeegee for your face! 2 passes and I was happy. No irritation no weepers no nothing. I am really liking the Single Edge format. Can’t wait for my Sabre to ship. Everyday I check Blackland but still says unfulfilled.

@Guido75 thanks for the response. I think you are right, it’s going to be all trial and error. I have not tried Boar yet, but 8 have one coming should be here tomorrow.

Non shave news. I missed both son’s concerts this week. Oldests was streamed live on the Universities stream and could not get it to load. Missed the youngests last night but I was too exhausted. He’s understood and my wife took videos for me. Tomorrow is going to be a big mail day. Shipments from,Pastures, House of Mammoth, Catie’s Bubbles, Italian Barber and one from a BST purchase. An order from Maggards was supposed to come but the USPS has that the box got to 2 places 3 hours from each at the same time this morning. So I have no idea.

That’s all my ramblings for the day. Here’s todays shave and Sookie and Rocky both trying to be lap dogs at the same time.
IMG_0523.jpeg
IMG_0525.jpeg

Friday the 3rd of May

No entry yesterday, fell asleep early it was a crazy week and it caught up to me I did get a shave in though, used a boar brush for the first time. I like the feel of it. It’s amazing how soft the bristles got after soaking them for 10 minutes, it whipped up great face lather in no time. I think I’m finally getting the hang of it.

No shave today. Giving my face a rest, going to use my new Sabre tomorrow so want to give my skin another day before going at it with a GEM blade.

I think I am done with purchasing any more razors for a little while. Got 4 new ones this week. Hawk,Game Changer, Sabre and a mint Streamline Set. I’m starting to look at this like I did cigars. Razors are like lighters, I had fancy ones, expensive ones, and some bargains. But I used the lighter to toast the foot and then light. Then it was back in my pocket or laid on the table. That’s how I am looking at razors, yes you use it for a longer period, but it’s still the tool. I could get away with using only one lighter, I could technically only use one razor. I know what you are about to say”you could technically only smoke the same cigar or use the same soap” and you would be right! But here’s the thing, I loved all different cigars because the taste different. They smell different, they burned different, they were rolled different, different shapes and sizes. The time smoking the cigar was were the enjoyment for me was. That translates to Brushes and Soaps to me. Yes razors do shave differently and they are made differently but just like lighters they are still just the tool.
Soaps and brushes go hand in hand. Different size and shape knots lather differently, as do the different boar, badger, horse, synthetic bristles that are used. Then you have the handles and I believe that the size and shape of the handle can have an impact on the way you lather. The knot is the filler tobacco and the handle is the binder. Now for the soaps, you know it and I know it, the soap is the best part. How it smells, how it lathers, the slickness, the ingredients, how long the scent lasts on our skin and how our skin feels awards. That’s the wrapper leaf of the cigar, the flavor. That’s what we see, smell and taste when smoking a cigar, and besides the taste it’s what we see and smell. I’ve bought a lot of soap the past two weeks and I don’t see it slowing down. I had over 5000 cigars at one point, even if I still smoked I would never have smoked all of them in this life time, just as I am sure I will not use up all of the soap. But just like collecting cigars collecting soaps is fun to me!

Ok that’s my ramblings for the day. Here are pics of the Streamline. For the cigar smokers out there, this set is my Prometheus God of Fire Lighter.

IMG_0546.jpeg
IMG_0547.jpeg
IMG_0550.jpeg
IMG_0551.jpeg
IMG_0552.jpeg
IMG_0553.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg
IMG_0555.jpeg
IMG_0556.jpeg

Thursday the 9th of May

It’s been one hellava week and it’s only Thursday. Got a couple shaves in, spent more money than I would have liked. Grabbed 2 more brushes,and too many more soaps and splashes. No new razors but the week is not over yet! Lathering is getting better I have been face lathering more than bowl, and I have been getting good results. I have been using the heck out of the Sabre today was the first day since I got it that I did not use it. Went with the Game Changer today. I really like this razor and I know for the price I should not complain but the top cap is cloudy and it annoys me but not enough to not use it.

Work has been nuts this week. I told my office staff and shop guys I will buy lunch tomorrow for everyone,they have been busting their butts this week. I think they want pizza which is fine by me. It’s normally 8 to 10 large pizzas and a 4-6 bottles of soda depending on what kind of hunger they have going on that day.

Anyway, that’s all I got for today. Hope all of you had a great week!

Top Bottom