What's new

The Sprout - B&B Gardening 2014

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Like Jason alluded to...it's not rocket science.

But you can make it that way if you want.

I like the lab coat reference Jason. :lol:

We are on well water here. We had a water treatment system put in when we first moved here as we have strong iron and sulfur content in the soil. We left a spigot at the well house not running through the system. SWMBO used the treated tap water for awhile on house plants...took us awhile to figure out why they died.

Last edited:
Here's my addition to the green thumb addiction. Our plot is roughly 40x12. We usually pull about 250-300 lbs of produce out of our plot each year. Though I will admit a fair portion of that is in pumpkins, squash, and zucchini.

Post tilling

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399822455.250440.jpg

As of this morning. You can just see the lettuce and radishes coming up.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399822493.026144.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's my addition to the green thumb addiction. Our plot is roughly 40x12. We usually pull about 250-300 lbs of produce out of our plot each year. Though I will admit a fair portion of that is in pumpkins, squash, and zucchini.

Post tilling

View attachment 446900

As of this morning. You can just see the lettuce and radishes coming up.

View attachment 446901

Looks like a good start!

I've never tried to grow pumpkins...what part of the country are you in?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, Tony, I forgot.

If you can't find what fertilizer to use in your area call your local County Extension Agent's office. They should be able to help.

As I mentioned earlier, we usually till in 13-13-13 here. But some years we didn't put ANY fertilizer in at all. Things still turned out good.

Sometimes I wonder...If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. The torch has been passed to me. My family has a long tradition of family gardening. Italian-American immigrants. I am taking over a very well established plot. The elders are passing on some knowledge, but now I have to do all the work. Now is planting time in my area. I am also thinking of buying a digital camera so I can upload decent pics here on B&B. Two challenges.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I am also thinking of buying a digital camera so I can upload decent pics here on B&B. Two challenges.

If only we had someplace for that. Like another forum to post questions about cameras and photography. Hey now that you're on the team ask the big wigs!

If only we had someplace for that. Like another forum to post questions about cameras and photography. Hey now that you're on the team ask the big wigs!

I was thinking about asking in the Darkroom. I figured downloading the pics from the camera to my computer and uploading to B&B is something I could handle. What type of camera is a whole other kettle of fish. If I pull off this garden I want to show it off. Here I go hi jacking again.

:laugh:

We did some planting in the raised bed today, putting in some lettuce, 2 types of chiles, lacinato (dinosaur) kale, some tomatoes and a little corn. I have to get some replacement bags to set up my inverted, hanging tomato planters.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm a bit old school. I like peat moss and the dried out cow poop that is dried out and bagged so it does not smell too bad. I really believe in getting vegetable matter into the garden. Last year I made a larger garden. I was stung. . . hit with frost after our normal May 24th start to planting. Still had a fair bit of joy. I'm looking forward to this season.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I was thinking about asking in the Darkroom. I figured downloading the pics from the camera to my computer and uploading to B&B is something I could handle. What type of camera is a whole other kettle of fish. If I pull off this garden I want to show it off. Here I go hi jacking again.

:laugh:
Heck yeah! The darkroom is where it's at for cameras! And you know how much we love pictures.

Looks like a good start!

I've never tried to grow pumpkins...what part of the country are you in?

We are in southeast washington state. We get about 8" of rain a year and tons of sun. Growing pumpkins is rather easy, they love a good soaking of water, sun, shade, or anything in between. My ONLY warning is that they will grow to fill their pen. In other words plan on leaving at least a 10x 10 area for them as they will spread everywhere. Oh and one big tip, we like to grow century pumpkins (100+ lb) the only way to get to that weight is to cull the vines of all but 1 or maybe 2 pumpkins per plant. We plant them on large raised circular mounds 24" across with a substantial moat so they get a good deep watering.

I'm skeptical that citronella works but maybe coming right from the plant it would be better

I think I figured out the trick using citronella plants. BBQ'ed a few days ago and the mosquitoes were out in droves.
I picked a couple leaves and rubbed it on all the exposed parts - it worked! However, any spot I missed was definitely bitten. Kind of cool though, doesn't smell so toxic.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I think I figured out the trick using citronella plants. BBQ'ed a few days ago and the mosquitoes were out in droves.
I picked a couple leaves and rubbed it on all the exposed parts - it worked! However, any spot I missed was definitely bitten. Kind of cool though, doesn't smell so toxic.

you rubbed the leaves directly on your skin? That didn't cause any reaction?
Interesting. I'd probably test a small spot first. But if that works then it would be better than the chemical sprays I would think.

Top Bottom