What's new

The Newbie Perspective

Hi Everyone.

Had my very fisrt straight shave today, thanks to Larry at whipped dog. It went absolutely great. Much better than I would of ever imagined. If you are thinking about entering this "religion" of staright razor shaving, go to this man, do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks. I sent him the two straights for a free hone, and picked up a strop kit. In the time of about 4 working days, I had one honed, and returned, along with the strop kit. This kit contained great information for someone just starting out. This man is there for us newbies, and has a passion for straight razors.

Some things that I would love to add if your thinking of starting:

1.) Read, Read, You Tube, Read More, and use the members here. I cant thank you all enough. Many of you dont know me. I didn't ask you directly. But I can say that I have read just about every straight shaving post that has been on this forum for the last 2 months, just to prepare myself for this experience. The people here will bend over backward to help someone just starting out.

2.) I prepared myself for the last 2 months for this by using my Mach 3. What I did was "strech" my skin as you do in straight shaving, just to get used to it. See how the cart. blade reacted. That gave me an idea of which way my hair was growing, and what ways I needed to pull when I eventually got my straight razor.

3.) For the past month, I have used great products on my skin. I bought some C.O. Bigelow shaving cream,and have been using it for the past two months. Smell is ridiculous, as I feel like I am 9 years old watching grandpa shave. Have bought Cella, and C&E Nomad. Both great items. Have a 10048 Boar Brush. This didnt cost me much at all, especially getting some of these items off of B/S/T. I have bought into witch hazel. Cheapest/ best aftershave you will ever find. I use Thayers unscented alcohol free w/aloe.

4.) Read, Read, Read more.

5.) Do I have razor burn now... a little...Would I have it anyways with a Mach 3, you bet. The reason I mention this is because it wasn't the perfect shave, but it gave me a starting point that I will be able to climb from. Heck, both my ears are still attached, and my nose only has a small nich on the bottom that will be healed tonight!

6.) Lets talk about coolness factor. I shave with a 8.00 razor that I found on ebay, that will last me a lifetime. It just says "Solingen" on the tang. I also am the proud owner of a Wade and Butcher wedge. How freakin' cool is it to know that one day I will be shaving with something from the late 1800's...no Planned obsolescence back then my friends. Next time you are hanging out with your buddy's, look at their faces when you tell them you use a straight razor. They will think you are a cross between Chuck Norris, John Wayne, an Astronaut, and Evel Knievel...

7.) I do have a strop on order from Ambrose. I am glad that I have my 19 dollar strop kit from whipped dog. I used it for the first time, and gave it a small nick. It is much better to nick a 19 dollar strop than a "more expensive than 19 dollar strop". I didn't believe this would happen, but thanks to this place, I have a "practice" strop to get me thru until im confident enough to use my Ambrose Creation.

Well, That is my story, and I am sticking to it. I hope this post may help some people on the fence about straight razor shaving. Little did my wife know, that day she dragged me to this flea market, and I bought this old, rusty straight razor for 6.50, that I would Google, Bing, and Yahoo myself all the way to Badger and Blade, and be bitten by the wetshaving bug!!!!

Thanks to all of you here at B&B, that got me to today. The day that I can say I started str8 shaving....

Please have a Safe and Happy Holiday weekend, and if your not from the USA, and it isn't a holiday for you, Go ahead and celebrate anyways...:thumbup1:

Thanks for listening....

Funny how it says "In M3 Remission" under your username :biggrin1:

An excellent post Dmoney, I'm just getting started with straights myself.
The coolness factor is over the top for sure, my colleagues think I'm gone crazy haha.

The coolness factor is over the top for sure, my colleagues think I'm gone crazy haha.

Yup, it's cool! And it does give a really great shave once you learn it. Fusions and M3s and whatever were so bad for my skin and I never understood why. I wasn't able to shave seven days a week until I switched to DE / straight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
One shave in and you already have a strop on order from Ambrose?? You will fit right in here.:wink2:

One shave in and you already have a strop on order from Ambrose?? You will fit right in here.:wink2:

I sort of overstepped my bounds....I wanted to do it right first, but after reading sooooo many reports of newbies slicing up an expensive strop, I waited til I got Larry's poor man strop to do my first shave.

The nice part of the story is that I got to meet Jose at Ambrose, and we have shared more than a few emails...

I tell my wife that at least this is cheaper than those that restore old cars...or is it!?!?:001_rolle

+1. You're in it now.
Enjoy the ride. It's very rewarding.
I've come to realize that if I have to do it every day, then I might as well enjoy it!

Good luck.

Hi Dmoney.

Fascinating and interesting post! I loved reading it.

I totally agree with everything you said there. Especially TEH FAKTUR OV K00lnez.

That was one thing that made me brave enough to try and I never regretted it (except one time late at night when I cut my chin)

2.) I prepared myself for the last 2 months for this by using my Mach 3. What I did was "strech" my skin as you do in straight shaving, just to get used to it. See how the cart. blade reacted. That gave me an idea of which way my hair was growing, and what ways I needed to pull when I eventually got my straight razor.
Smart move. Knowing this is half the battle, IMO.

Hi Everyone.

1.) Read, Read, You Tube, Read More, and use the members here. I cant thank you all enough. Many of you dont know me. I didn't ask you directly. But I can say that I have read just about every straight shaving post that has been on this forum for the last 2 months, just to prepare myself for this experience. The people here will bend over backward to help someone just starting out.

+1. Like you, I spent months reading and preparing before taking the plunge. these people are awesome!

Welcome to the "Bright side". And welcome to B&B.

You are right about this hobby costing less than restoring cars. Cheaper than other methods of shaving? I'm not sure anymore. It CAN be. But when you start getting into it the hobby starts getting like collecting art.

Art that you shave with. Enjoy!

Wow,you really did do your research before jumping in.My research consisted of me thinking to myself,I believe I want to buy a straight razor,and then I bought one.
Congrats on your success.

Paul

Happy Memorial Day Everyone....

I guess you could say my second shave went just as well as the first. I felt much more confidence in the strokes. One area of concern is my stropping ability, as the blade didn't seem as "sharp" as my first shave. It may be just all in my head,as I have been reading everything on stropping that I can find....Funny Thing is I thought that It was the least of my worries, now I try to make every stroke on the strop perfect, but I know that is not ever going to be the case. Its funny, but after 2 straight shaves, I have moved from the:

1. OMG, how am I gonna shave with this.... now leaning towards

2. OMG, am I screwing my edge up with my newbie stropping...

In the first two shaves, I have learned that the hardest spot for me happens to be the "mouth corners"...It takes me a while there....Along with the area that is directly below the nose...I will admit I had to cheat there with the back of my Mach3 cart.

My shave strated with about 40-50 Passes on a Poormans Strop from Whipped Dog...

Todays shave consisted of a hot towel for about 2 minutes, followed by Cella, with a Art of Shaving Badger brush courtesy of Nerdman as a B/S/T....

My Straight was a 8.00 ebay Wilh. Heckerler Soligen Made in Germany Blade sharpened by Larry of Whipped Dog....

My Aftershave was Regular Wal-Mart Witch Hazel this time....I alternate between the cheap, and the Thayers....

Finished the Straight of on the Strop with about 40-50 passes....Stored with some Vaseline on blade...In vintage straight box, no lid.....so any moisture could evaporate...

Maybe someday I will post this in SOTD, but right now my stuff isn't all that attractive, just very purposefull...Some peoples shots there are AMAZING....my stuff,not so much yet?!?!

Thats all I got today...I wish you all well ..... Special Thanks to those that gave their life up so that I can be free today....you made the ultimate sacrifice....Have a great Holiday everyone...

Great posts! Razor burn=too much pressure, IMO.

Post your picture here. It would be a good change of pace and would let others know that a good shaving kit does not have to be fancy to be worthy.:thumbup:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Happy Memorial Day Everyone....

I guess you could say my second shave went just as well as the first. I felt much more confidence in the strokes. One area of concern is my stropping ability, as the blade didn't seem as "sharp" as my first shave. It may be just all in my head,as I have been reading everything on stropping that I can find....Funny Thing is I thought that It was the least of my worries, now I try to make every stroke on the strop perfect, but I know that is not ever going to be the case. Its funny, but after 2 straight shaves, I have moved from the:

1. OMG, how am I gonna shave with this.... now leaning towards

2. OMG, am I screwing my edge up with my newbie stropping...

In the first two shaves, I have learned that the hardest spot for me happens to be the "mouth corners"...It takes me a while there....Along with the area that is directly below the nose...I will admit I had to cheat there with the back of my Mach3 cart.

My shave strated with about 40-50 Passes on a Poormans Strop from Whipped Dog...

Todays shave consisted of a hot towel for about 2 minutes, followed by Cella, with a Art of Shaving Badger brush courtesy of Nerdman as a B/S/T....

My Straight was a 8.00 ebay Wilh. Heckerler Soligen Made in Germany Blade sharpened by Larry of Whipped Dog....

My Aftershave was Regular Wal-Mart Witch Hazel this time....I alternate between the cheap, and the Thayers....

Finished the Straight of on the Strop with about 40-50 passes....Stored with some Vaseline on blade...In vintage straight box, no lid.....so any moisture could evaporate...

Maybe someday I will post this in SOTD, but right now my stuff isn't all that attractive, just very purposefull...Some peoples shots there are AMAZING....my stuff,not so much yet?!?!

Thats all I got today...I wish you all well ..... Special Thanks to those that gave their life up so that I can be free today....you made the ultimate sacrifice....Have a great Holiday everyone...

I think you are right about stropping. Done properly it really does return the edge to a nice keeness.

OK so tonite I was on shave 4 with my Ebay Special....all going very well....then BAM..It bit me just below the lower lip....I totally blame myself....probably got alittle cocky, tried going a little faster than needed. Thank goodness that I still had my styptic pen from 1994....Dang thing just wont stop bleeding, and it aint that big!?!? It wont bring me down though...

Still surprised at the lack of razor burn though....It was a given with my Mach3....now I still get it, but its not all over, just in spots.....

Ive been practicing my stropping, and I have reaped the rewards, as I felt the keeness in this shave...Thanks for listening

Top Bottom