What's new

The Journal Of Huck...

I know they have one in Dallas which is how many hours from you? Here on the east coast we have DC, Raleigh, Atlanta, Orlando, Philly, NY, Miami, Sommerville, MA. Many here on the east coast. There is only one solution to this problem my dear friend. You will have to move to the east coast. 😁
I am not staying down here for the rest of my life. Once kids get on their own I might spread my wings. My wife wants to move back to Alabama, but them folks say Roll Tide too much, no offense @Jay21. I get along just fine with the Bama fans of the family, we have enough Auburn and LSU folks sprinkled in to make it interesting.

I checked and Dallas is about 3 1/2 hours away. It could be a day trip.

I am not staying down here for the rest of my life. Once kids get on their own I might spread my wings. My wife wants to move back to Alabama, but them folks say Roll Tide too much, no offense @Jay21. I get along just fine with the Bama fans of the family, we have enough Auburn and LSU folks sprinkled in to make it interesting.

I checked and Dallas is about 3 1/2 hours away. It could be a day trip.
3 1/2 hr. that is definitely doable. I would at least go once to see what it is all about. Just a tip though. My wife and I we set a budget maximum BEFORE we get there. Yep she is into fountain pens as well. Yep I did that to her. Now she likes her Franklin Christoph pens. Local company here in Raleigh. It is darn lucky they do NOT have a store front and it is only by appointment. I might have to get one as well. We will see.

3 1/2 hr. that is definitely doable. I would at least go once to see what it is all about. Just a tip though. My wife and I we set a budget maximum BEFORE we get there. Yep she is into fountain pens as well. Yep I did that to her. Now she likes her Franklin Christoph pens. Local company here in Raleigh. It is darn lucky they do NOT have a store front and it is only by appointment. I might have to get one as well. We will see.
September 27-28, a Friday and a Saturday. I have to see who LSU is playing that day. Haha. (South Alabama, no need to watch). I could get up early Saturday at 5 am and head out on the Beemer, I'd stop for breakfast somewhere. I doubt my bride would want to go so it would be a solo trip. Hummm, We shall see.

Edit Bing Maps leads something to be desired. Google maps shows 4hr 40 minutes to the site. Maybe not, or maybe I am not adverse to riding long distances.

So waaay back on Feb 8th, I ordered a jacket. I quite liked the look, a heavier denim with some useful pockets etc. Kind of a dressed up CarHart or Safari jacket. Price wasn't bad etc. It still isn't here. I've been in contact and they kept telling me to please be patient, it's beyond their control, they're looking into it etc etc. FINALLY, they admitted they have no idea where it is or what happened to it. They then offered to re-send the jacket at no extra charge (no kidding) and they'd make sure it was delivered quickly...we'll see. Now hopefully after all this...the damn thing fits. It should, based on other jackets I have etc. If you don't complain, no one does anything even when it's their fault or the fault of someone/thing they employed to execute a specific service. I think they snapped out of it when I posted a review of their company and customer service on line...it wasn't particularly kind. Anyway this is what I ordered...hopefully here in a week or two. I have no idea what "JeepRich" refers to.
Cheers

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 1.28.47 PM.png

Ok so yesterday we had the relatives over for an Easter brunch after having watched Carmen's grandson play soccer. I'm ambivalent about family gatherings (it's all her relatives here, my few are back in Calgary). They can be ok, or to me, annoying.

I've never been a father so I have zero experience with children. I also didn't meet the wife until I was 55.
Before that, when I was dating, I tended to go out with women who either didn't have kids or they were of an age where you could talk to them as reasoning beings. This is not to say I dislike kids...the grandkids are getting to the point/age where I can start actually having conversations with them without confusion setting in.

Now her niece and nephew are in relationships and each have small children...that seem to love screaming and fighting/arguing with each other. I know how loud and piercing small people screams can be. Not my favourite sounds.
So the older kids (there's 4, aged 7, 9, 10 and 13) were downstairs "playing". I cant help it, I get nervous when kids are unsupervised...in our home. Outside...fine, inside not so much. I know what little boys can be like, because I still remember what me and my two brothers were like. So they were playing Hide and Seek, which when I heard about, should have set off alarm bells. My biggest fear is someone getting hurt...or breaking something. I know, I know, I should be used to that, I own a cat.

Speaking of which, the cat doesn't care for children either. One of them got swatted because the she did not want to be bothered by a clumsy 2 year old who then cried and screamed for quite a while. But there were no scratches because my cat doesn't use her claws, just sort of slaps. She does this to me when we're playing or when she would rather be alone. Probably just startled the child but the reaction was waaaay over then top.

So I've done a large amount of the renos here and one of them was making a closet with a barn door. I like them because they don't take up room by swinging open and you can make them whatever size you need. After everyone has left, I go downstairs and notice the closet is partly open...not a big deal. I go to close the door...and it doesn't move. ?? I take a closer look and the hanger wheels are off the track?? I lift the door so the wheels are where they should be and see I have to do it for both hangers.
Not a big deal but I couldn't see how the door, which is heavy, could have jumped the track without having been opened or closed with perhaps too much zeal when looking for someone hiding.

What disappointed me was none of the kids told me about this. Now again, maybe they whipped the door closed and when it stopped short they just ignored it. Glad that no one got hurt but I don't like discovering things that shouldn't be, just because people were over.

I know I should just be relaxed and accept things as they are and chill. But I've gotten used to my life being a certain way and things in specific places etc. The love of my life gives me the "side-eye" when I mention my concerns because she's been through all this and isn't particularly bothered by any of it and I should do the same. Maybe as I get older...
Have a great weekend and do enjoy your families!

tempImageVSGNVc.png

Ok, so this is not a great journal entry but I feel I should share it because not only have I been affected but so has the shaving community.

I've been in contact with Viktor Zorianskyi, who founded Smart-Helix, for quite a few months now. I also made, from .50 caliber shells, handles which I sold here and on other blogs to raise funds for Viktor, his family and fellow workers. A number of B&Bers bought the handles which we were very grateful for. I also sold some to family and people who visited the Smart-Helix web page. I wish more would have sold but it is what it is. We did manage to raise several thousand dollars which helped with medicines, clothing etc.

Viktor and his crew even moved from Kharkiv to Kyiv to try and escape the war and continue the company. Always of a positive nature even when the s***e really started to hit the fan. They have been through so much that it's hard to comprehend. Viktor once told me that it was becoming harder for him to remember what things were like before the war. Loss of family and friends have made lasting marks on a country and its people when it never had to happen. One mans' pyschopathic desire to destroy a free country has resulted in untold deaths, destruction and horror.

The last time I heard from Viktor was March 3. So it's been a month. I believe it's the result of russia bombing and damaging the dam that supplies a large portion of Ukraine with its power and critical infrastructure. I feel this is why I haven't heard from them. There's probably no internet/wi-fi for the citizens at least where they are. I cant be sure but I'd rather believe this than the alternative. I'm hoping Viktor will get back to me at some point but I also know he's probably got a lot more important things going on as opposed to emailing me.

I wish there was more I could do to influence others to help or to convince the gov't to step up or other govt's to stop wasting time and support a country who desperately needs global help to repel an enemy bent on the removal of Ukraine as a free and independent nation. We all try in our own way and I know this is appreciated by those under siege.

I also want offer everyone the best and thanx for reading this post.

IMG_3219.jpeg

So, yesterdays shave was a nice, calming experience. I used My S-H Apollo with a PolSilver on its 5th turn. I scraped some Canada Soap into my SS mug and got to lathering. Canada Soap is really a terrific shaving soap. Unscented and builds really well. I know Kim @Phoenixkh likes it too. Nothing really to report other than the blade is still holding up and the razor is still one of the best I have and have ever used. 3 passes and then the alum, Thayers and on to the day. It's finally warming up here and today is "supposed" to get up to 22C. Time to work on my tan. Also still sketching and painting. It's all coming back to me how to handle the various media I use. However I doubt my guitar playing is going to see a whole lot of improvement...I look at it as therapy and keeping my brain occupied with mild frustration at my lack of musical capability. I know what sounds good and I may get to a certain level but it certainly isn't because I'm a natural or "gifted" in anyway. And yes, I do enjoy it.
You guys have a great day.

tempImageXqSB6T.png

An old house I photoed...pen and ink with watercolour...still working on it.
IMG_3221.jpeg

Looks like some unknown guy wearing #16 about to throw a football. Parts of this I like. Water-soluble oil paints.
IMG_3222.jpeg

Watercolour...again some parts are working...just need more practise
IMG_3224.jpeg

So, yesterdays shave was a nice, calming experience. I used My S-H Apollo with a PolSilver on its 5th turn. I scraped some Canada Soap into my SS mug and got to lathering. Canada Soap is really a terrific shaving soap. Unscented and builds really well. I know Kim @Phoenixkh likes it too. Nothing really to report other than the blade is still holding up and the razor is still one of the best I have and have ever used. 3 passes and then the alum, Thayers and on to the day. It's finally warming up here and today is "supposed" to get up to 22C. Time to work on my tan. Also still sketching and painting. It's all coming back to me how to handle the various media I use. However I doubt my guitar playing is going to see a whole lot of improvement...I look at it as therapy and keeping my brain occupied with mild frustration at my lack of musical capability. I know what sounds good and I may get to a certain level but it certainly isn't because I'm a natural or "gifted" in anyway. And yes, I do enjoy it.

View attachment 1822956

View attachment 1822958

Looks like some unknown guy wearing #16 about to throw a football. Parts of this I like. Water-soluble oil paints.
View attachment 1822959

View attachment 1822960
Very talented art Don. My Aunt was an artist and sold many paintings, I have a few of her paintings around the house. When I was a kid she tried to get me to paint and I painted a few things, nothing like these, and then set the brushes down. I started to paint some a couple of years ago, acrylic, oil, and watercolors, Bob Ross got me into it, but my trees were not happy. 'twas ok, again not this level of art. One day I may get back to it, life is busy now. Guitars are another hobby I need to get some practice in on.

Very talented art Don. My Aunt was an artist and sold many paintings, I have a few of her paintings around the house. When I was a kid she tried to get me to paint and I painted a few things, nothing like these, and then set the brushes down. I started to paint some a couple of years ago, acrylic, oil, and watercolors, Bob Ross got me into it, but my trees were not happy. 'twas ok, again not this level of art. One day I may get back to it, life is busy now. Guitars are another hobby I need to get some practice in on.
bob ross GIF

I heard somewhere that he came to dislike the hair, but PBS would not let him change it because it became part of his persona.

So waaay back on Feb 8th, I ordered a jacket. I quite liked the look, a heavier denim with some useful pockets etc. Kind of a dressed up CarHart or Safari jacket. Price wasn't bad etc. It still isn't here. I've been in contact and they kept telling me to please be patient, it's beyond their control, they're looking into it etc etc. FINALLY, they admitted they have no idea where it is or what happened to it. They then offered to re-send the jacket at no extra charge (no kidding) and they'd make sure it was delivered quickly...we'll see. Now hopefully after all this...the damn thing fits. It should, based on other jackets I have etc. If you don't complain, no one does anything even when it's their fault or the fault of someone/thing they employed to execute a specific service. I think they snapped out of it when I posted a review of their company and customer service on line...it wasn't particularly kind. Anyway this is what I ordered...hopefully here in a week or two. I have no idea what "JeepRich" refers to.
Cheers

View attachment 1820303
Good luck.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

View attachment 1822956

View attachment 1822958

View attachment 1822959

View attachment 1822960
Beautiful work, Huck... When my wife retired a few years ago now, she took up oil painting.... I have to say, she's already finished a couple paintings that are hanging on our walls and could have just as easily been hanging in a gallery somewhere. I know I'm biased but I'm also a truth teller..... Her first few, as she was learning, are leaning up against the walls in her studio/our library. <eg>

Our new grandchild interrupted her painting for the last 8 months until just a few days ago. I was glad to see her back at it. It's therapeutic for her.

Top Bottom