What's new

The Journal Of Huck...

That looks nice... At the moment, I have my bronze and brass razors displayed on top of my tall dresser and my SS and one Titanium razor on the bathroom vanity top. After I put a few away, it looks more than presentable... with a few brushes sitting there as well.

My wife is an ummmmm interior designer by education and trade. Shelving units in a shared master bath would be a no-no, trust me. <eg>
I’m with Kim on this one (and many other things for that matter). All my razors are stored in my cabinet. I have one razor stand that houses all my razors with a couple of them living in ink stands. No way that I can go for a dedicated shelf for all to see. Not that I want to by the way. My bathroom is a sanctuary of white and chrome.

Who are these "other" people that are mentioned to see a collection in the bathroom?
My master bath is only used by my wife and me. Guests have their own bathroom to use!
I guess it's understandable in a single bath home!
Regardless, I think @huck1680 has an awesome setup.
Thanx pal. My "den" is the 1/2 bath upstairs where we do our entertaining. The guests use that bathroom and will see the collection.

Ok, my Lamy Aion pen arrived yesterday. Along with a converter and a bottle of Diamine Ancient Copper ink. Pretty excited...initially. When I opened the package there was the usual nice black presentation box from Lamy but when I opened that I saw a pen that wasn't the colour I'd ordered. ??? So I wrote a couple of emails to the company I ordered the pen from and that was late yesterday so they haven't had a chance to respond. What I did discover was the colour I saw is either a photo screw up or a mistake on someone's part. You can see in the photo the pen is actually a very nice silvery green. In fact it's called "Olive Silver". You can also see the pen I received is pretty much just silver. Doing a bit of sleuthing and research I find that the green colour was never a thing. They do have a dark green colour for the pen but not the light version. There are pages that show the pen in the silver colour and is named "Olive Silver". Sigh.
Anyway, you can see the pen is not small. The lineup is the Aion, Safari, Studio, Faber Ambition and Traveler's Company. I seem to like Lamy pens. The Aion is not as elegant as the Studio, Faber or Traveler's. The Safari never was and I didn't buy it for the looks. I swapped out the EF nib for a Fine, but may swap back. I tried to use the converter but for whatever reason it wouldn't draw the ink up very well. So I used my "monoject" syringe to fill the converter.
The pen came with a converter and a cartridge so that was a nice touch. I also got another converter. The pen is not badly balanced and is easy to use posted or not. it's made from aluminum so not overly heavy at all. The pen however, seems to be on the "clumsy" side of things.
I filled the pen with the Ancient Copper ink. The writing with the EF nib was ok...typical Lamy. The F nib was the same but more flow with the ink. The copper colour is a bit disconcerting to me and I may go back to black because I seem to prefer the darker ink. The writing is ok with both nibs, it's the size of the pen that's the concern right now. I don't know if I could do an extended session of journalling or a long letter with this pen.
I have to say, it was the colour that drew me to this pen in the first place. I liked it and still do but it doesn't exist. I read some reviews and there were a couple of people who liked the pen but were sure they ordered the green colour not silver. So there's that. I'm glad the price was a "promo" because I doubt I would keep the pen if I had to pay full or normal pricing.
It probably isn't going to get a lot of usage and I may even gift someone with it. Next Xmas seems a good time.
It's like with razors...it's ok but I'm not sure if it becomes a "go-to" pen for me.
Cheers.

So here's the pen as I originally saw it.
gr_25184.jpg

Here's what arrived
IMG_3202.jpeg

Here's all five of the pens: Bottom to top, Aion, Safari, Studio, Ambition and Traveler's
tempImageXBNcjH.png

All posted.
tempImageSrhjZn.png

Ok, my Lamy Aion pen arrived yesterday. Along with a converter and a bottle of Diamine Ancient Copper ink. Pretty excited...initially. When I opened the package there was the usual nice black presentation box from Lamy but when I opened that I saw a pen that wasn't the colour I'd ordered. ??? So I wrote a couple of emails to the company I ordered the pen from and that was late yesterday so they haven't had a chance to respond. What I did discover was the colour I saw is either a photo screw up or a mistake on someone's part. You can see in the photo the pen is actually a very nice silvery green. In fact it's called "Olive Silver". You can also see the pen I received is pretty much just silver. Doing a bit of sleuthing and research I find that the green colour was never a thing. They do have a dark green colour for the pen but not the light version. There are pages that show the pen in the silver colour and is named "Olive Silver". Sigh.
Anyway, you can see the pen is not small. The lineup is the Aion, Safari, Studio, Faber Ambition and Traveler's Company. I seem to like Lamy pens. The Aion is not as elegant as the Studio, Faber or Traveler's. The Safari never was and I didn't buy it for the looks. I swapped out the EF nib for a Fine, but may swap back. I tried to use the converter but for whatever reason it wouldn't draw the ink up very well. So I used my "monoject" syringe to fill the converter.
The pen came with a converter and a cartridge so that was a nice touch. I also got another converter. The pen is not badly balanced and is easy to use posted or not. it's made from aluminum so not overly heavy at all. The pen however, seems to be on the "clumsy" side of things.
I filled the pen with the Ancient Copper ink. The writing with the EF nib was ok...typical Lamy. The F nib was the same but more flow with the ink. The copper colour is a bit disconcerting to me and I may go back to black because I seem to prefer the darker ink. The writing is ok with both nibs, it's the size of the pen that's the concern right now. I don't know if I could do an extended session of journalling or a long letter with this pen.
I have to say, it was the colour that drew me to this pen in the first place. I liked it and still do but it doesn't exist. I read some reviews and there were a couple of people who liked the pen but were sure they ordered the green colour not silver. So there's that. I'm glad the price was a "promo" because I doubt I would keep the pen if I had to pay full or normal pricing.
It probably isn't going to get a lot of usage and I may even gift someone with it. Next Xmas seems a good time.
It's like with razors...it's ok but I'm not sure if it becomes a "go-to" pen for me.
Cheers.

View attachment 1818617

Here's what arrived
View attachment 1818619

Here's all five of the pens: Bottom to top, Aion, Safari, Studio, Ambition and Traveler's
View attachment 1818620

All posted.
View attachment 1818621
I am so sorry you did not get what you expected. It seems like the Aion is bulkier than the Studio and have more of a girth. I have one on my wish list as well, but we will see if I will buy it or not. I have not determined that yet. I also need to save my fountain pen allowance for June when the pen show comes to town. I am really looking forward/being scared of when that happens.

Lighter ink colors took me a bit to get used to and still I am not sold on the really low saturation ones. Where the Diamine Ancient Copper shines is in larger nibs, italic nibs, stub nibs and a good fountain pen paper. You really get the shading going.
The sample below from Ink Review #143: Diamine Ancient Copper — Mountain of Ink - https://mountainofink.com/blog/diamine-ancient-copper really shows this. The fatter nib shows off the shading much better like the Medium and the Broad.
1711467570883.png

Yesterdays shave was with the GreenCult 2.0 with the III plate. A dependable razor that I can reach for at any time. As are all my shavers, that's how they got to be my razors and stay my razors. Hah! Paired it with a Nacet on its 5th outing. Soap was my Areffa Discoverer which I loaded the brush from the container and lathered up. No drama, although the initial WTG pass was less than I was expecting. Consequent passes were better, ATG, XTG and buffing. So a nice start to the day, I'll keep my eye on the Nacet because maybe it's wearing a bit quicker than normal. I use a different razor per shave so I'll be able to tell the next time this blade comes up in rotation.
Did the alum, Thayers and proceeded with the day. Sunny outside but still colder than I'd prefer. I like Palm trees.
Cheers!

200w-11.gif

Cheers.

View attachment 1818617

Here's what arrived
View attachment 1818619

View attachment 1818620

All posted.
View attachment 1818621
Thanks for the report on the Aion, I was looking into that pen as well. I think I'll wait and just get the LAMY Studio, I am partial to my LAMY pens thus far in my fountain pen journey.

Like you, I am partial to darker colors, drawn to the Blue/Black inks at first. It all began innocently enough then I started to look into the darker other colored inks. The last batch of inks I received are all darker shades of their respective colors.

Thanks for the report on the Aion, I was looking into that pen as well. I think I'll wait and just get the LAMY Studio, I am partial to my LAMY pens thus far in my fountain pen journey.

Like you, I am partial to darker colors, drawn to the Blue/Black inks at first. It all began innocently enough then I started to look into the darker other colored inks. The last batch of inks I received are all darker shades of their respective colors.
You should like the Studio. It is a favourite of mine. Well balanced, good looking...just an elegant pen.

That's so cool...a pen show. I'd be down for that. Your ink chart mirrors pretty much what I've found with my pen and two diff nibs so far. Just not sure whether I like different colours or not. Maybe if I was sketching out an old treasure map or mimicking ancient scrolls etc.
Well I am ancient so I guess it goes with the ink heheh. Colors are like razor blades. Some like these and some like these other blades. YMMV. Oh yeah pen show and it is the most dangerous thing for a PAD and IAD person like myself, but I n. ed to treat myself somehow so why not jump into the lions den with both feet and see how I do. Looked at Canada and I could only find one in Toronto called Scriptus. Kind of far from you @huck1680 which is a bummer.

Well I am ancient so I guess it goes with the ink heheh. Colors are like razor blades. Some like these and some like these other blades. YMMV. Oh yeah pen show and it is the most dangerous thing for a PAD and IAD person like myself, but I n. ed to treat myself somehow so why not jump into the lions den with both feet and see how I do. Looked at Canada and I could only find one in Toronto called Scriptus. Kind of far from you @huck1680 which is a bummer.
I live 60 miles south of the 4th largest city in the stinking country, and the closest one is Dallas. 4 hours away until the mythical high-speed rail gets built, then it would be 2 hours. Not that 4 hours is all that far, but come on, why doesn't Houston have one?

I live 60 miles south of the 4th largest city in the stinking country, and the closest one is Dallas. 4 hours away until the mythical high-speed rail gets built, then it would be 2 hours. Not that 4 hours is all that far, but come on, why doesn't Houston have one?
I know they have one in Dallas which is how many hours from you? Here on the east coast we have DC, Raleigh, Atlanta, Orlando, Philly, NY, Miami, Sommerville, MA. Many here on the east coast. There is only one solution to this problem my dear friend. You will have to move to the east coast. 😁

There is a pen show in Orlando, FL, September 5-7. I’m not a fountain pen user, but I bet it would be interesting.
Well go there and visit. Something will end up in your pocket before you leave though. There are some beautiful pens there. The last show I went to one of the vintage pen vendors was the coolest guy. Very passionate about pens understandably. He told me to hold this pen and I did. It was a vintage metal fountain pen and then he told me that it was a Sheaffer from the 1920s. It was so cool to hold a pen over 100 years old in pristine condition. Really neat and great people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom