What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco,

It's been 4 years since this post. Any changes in your line up of favourites?

Brad

Brad, partially yes. I'm still loving the Israeli Red Personna and I'm still using both the Red pack and the White/Blue (UK) pack of them. But I'm also loving the superb Gillette Silver Blue. I find myself preferring the Personnas in my more aggressive DEs (the Fatip Piccolo is my favourite) and the Silver Blues in my milder razors (HD and 1904).

Excellent! I myself am a fan of the GSB's, and also use the Personna Labs blues and occasionally... Bolzano's. Great shaves all around.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have tried a lot of different blades. Narrowing it down to blades that stand above the rest has been difficult but fun. The Red Israels certainly fit in my go to blades. An unexpected find is the Blue Birds and Rapira Lux. Both sharp and compfy. More recently I stumbled upon the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow Sharpedge. Viking Swords are another fine blade. The list seems endless...

I think Viking Swords, Red Personnas, and Crystals all come from the same factory in Israel. I never tried the Vikings, but I get very good shaves from the Crystals and the Red Personnas (which have a white package in the EU, but nevertheless)

Dear mate,

My intention was to make a pleasing review about my favourite DE razor blades.
And, in order to do that, I wanted to make a parallelism with the great Western movie directed by Sergio Leone "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".
As you find three great gunslingers (pistoleros) in the movie, here you find three great Double Edge razor blades.
The Shark blades have been described as "bad" because, as stated in the review, they are very sharp and unforgiving and these are essentially the same features of the character performed by Lee Van Cleef, who was "the Bad".
Astra blades are "the Ugly" because they are basically as good as the Red pack Personna and, in fact, in the movie "the Good" and "the Ugly" are two characters with almost the same features.

a good way describe the blades.. oh how I love that movie and its music for it... any words on feathers? I am going to finish off murker blades fast as I can ( got 50 blades to kill).. was going to get Astra and feathers

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
a good way describe the blades.. oh how I love that movie and its music for it... any words on feathers? I am going to finish off murker blades fast as I can ( got 50 blades to kill).. was going to get Astra and feathers

Feathers are ninja sharp blades, but on my skin they feel rough and are unforgiving. Sorry not for me, I want my blades to have the right balance of sharpness and smoothness - being keen only is pointless if the shave that follows is not comfortable.

Feathers are ninja sharp blades, but on my skin they feel rough and are unforgiving. Sorry not for me, I want my blades to have the right balance of sharpness and smoothness - being keen only is pointless if the shave that follows is not comfortable.

I agree. I can use Feathers just fine, having wetshaved for several years now, but for me Astra SPs are an ideal midpoint between sharpness and comfort. If I'm in the mood for something a touch sharper, I use an Astra SS.

ah thanks for the wise words.. yes I did try feathers in my sample packs.. like it but a bit tad sharp, rather go one notch down.murker blades are ok.. only get 2 shaves out it before change it. I have pretty tough beard. will look into astra sp and ss.

Top Bottom