What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Since I've started my wet shaving experience fourteen years ago, I have tested many DE razor blades from different brands, from all over the World.
Now I have my top three list.
Here it is:

Red pack Israeli Personna, "the Good":

These stainless steel blades are made in Israel and have a Platinum Chrome coating.
They have the perfect balance between sharpness and smoothness and they are, in my opinion, the smoothest blades on the market.
I always get incredibly comfortable, great and irritation free shaves with them.
The Red pack Israeli Personna simply are my number 1 Double Edge razor blades.

Shark Super Chrome, "the Bad":

These blades, made in Egypt, are Chrome plated.
They are, in my opinion, a bit smoother than the Shark SS and for that reason between the two, I prefer the Chrome.
The Shark Super Chrome are the sharpest in my list of three and they are also the less forgiving.
So, being careful, I can get an extremely close shave with them.
But I have to be proceed very slowly to avoid cuts and nicks.
That said, the Shark Super Chrome are outstanding blades.

Astra Superior Platinum, "the Ugly":

The ASP are in made in Russia and are Platinum Plated.
They have an excellent balance between sharpness and smoothness.
In my list of three, they are also the blades that last longer: I can get five superb shaves with them, while I get only three great shaves with both the Red pack Israeli Personna and the Shark Super Chrome.
The Astra Superior Platinum are fantastic, all around DE razor blades.

One pic attached.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good review, only missing a close up on the eyes!

I am a big fan of both the Shark SC and the Red Pack Israeli Personna.

Just picked up a 5 pack of the Astra SP to try.

What razor do you primarily use with these blades?

I completely agree with you about the personas. I just started using them a couple weeks ago and they by far are my blade of choice.

On the Astras, I read tons of good things here, but when i used them I absolutely hated them and the way they shaved. Definitely a YMMV scenario for me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I am a big fan of both the Shark SC and the Red Pack Israeli Personna.

Just picked up a 5 pack of the Astra SP to try.

What razor do you primarily use with these blades?

Edwin Jagger DE89, DE87 and Merkur 1904.

S

siouxsie

I like your list...alot. But I would add Iridiums and Blue Birds, Indian Green 7o'clocks....feathers/kais in a mild razor. Bolzano for expensive blades.

Then there's NOS blades...:tongue_sm

I guess I'm confused as to why you call the Sharks "bad" and the Astras "ugly" while your review sounds like you like them.
I was wondering this myself. I read the review a few times over looking for sarcasm or other clues as to why you hated them.

I've been out on business lately, so the DE has seen some use. I completely agree with those choices and even the order of them, although I only get three shaves out of an Astra.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I guess I'm confused as to why you call the Sharks "bad" and the Astras "ugly" while your review sounds like you like them.

Dear mate,

My intention was to make a pleasing review about my favourite DE razor blades.
And, in order to do that, I wanted to make a parallelism with the great Western movie directed by Sergio Leone "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".
As you find three great gunslingers (pistoleros) in the movie, here you find three great Double Edge razor blades.
The Shark blades have been described as "bad" because, as stated in the review, they are very sharp and unforgiving and these are essentially the same features of the character performed by Lee Van Cleef, who was "the Bad".
Astra blades are "the Ugly" because they are basically as good as the Red pack Personna and, in fact, in the movie "the Good" and "the Ugly" are two characters with almost the same features.

S

siouxsie

Dear mate,

My intention was to make a pleasing review about my favourite DE razor blades.
And, in order to do that, I wanted to make a parallelism with the great Western movie directed by Sergio Leone "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".
As you find three great gunslingers (pistoleros) in the movie, here you find three great Double Edge razor blades.
The Shark blades have been described as "bad" because, as stated in the review, they are very sharp and unforgiving and these are essentially the same features of the character performed by Lee Van Cleef, who was "the Bad".
Astra blades are "the Ugly" because they are basically as good as the Red pack Personna and, in fact, in the movie "the Good" and "the Ugly" are two characters with almost the same features.

Marco...I got it. Don't people watch movies?

Hi Marco,

I always enjoy your posts.:thumbup1:

I tried the Red IPs because of one of your posts and now they are my favorite blade. They aren't the sharpest, but I much prefer a smooth irritation-free shave.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hi Marco,

I always enjoy your posts.:thumbup1:

I tried the Red IPs because of one of your posts and now they are my favorite blade. They aren't the sharpest, but I much prefer a smooth irritation-free shave.

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much!:001_smile

Try Astra Superior Platinum blades, I think they are truly excellent blades and you should like them.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Great review!
$tumblr_md3g6bwAmo1qiohiho1_400.gif

Top Bottom