What's new

The Boxing Thread

Rios coming back after such a bad loss against Bradley...I Wish him all the best, but I'm not very confident in him now.

The Thurman V Porter fight should be really good. I think it will go the distance.

Like you, Thurman vs Porter will be one I am looking forward to this weekend. Murray vs Groves could get interesting, and we will get another look at Joshua & Breazeale too.
It's personal between Rios and Ortiz . Neither one of them like each other, they are both in a down period in their careers, and are about the same age. While it's not a championship fight I think it will be interesting and fun to watch. If Rios has another night like he had against Bradley then he should move on from the ring.

Well this just stinks. Hopefully GGG will continue to dismantle everyone who comes his way and grow his PPV figures. Unfortunately, I can't see a scenario where the risk/reward is good enough for Alvarez to make the fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this just stinks. Hopefully GGG will continue to dismantle everyone who comes his way and grow his PPV figures. Unfortunately, I can't see a scenario where the risk/reward is good enough for Alvarez to make the fight.

I have nothing against Alvarez now that he isn't holding the title hostage any longer . If he wants to be a 154 # fighter, his choice. I AM tired of the nonsense surronding this fight. It's gone stale for me . I think most of us are tired of hearing about it.I have moved on and am more interested in the rising stars than Alvarez. I don't see him as a PPV fighter anymore.

Can't wait for this fight to happen, Jr will finally test Golovkin to see if he is as good as he thinks he is.

Also, thanks again for all the posts Nick, this thread is my go to for all boxing news now!

Finally, pm me Nick if you are interested in the documentary Mr Calzage. I waited for months trying to watch it, it was impossible to find in Mexico!

I hope Canelo mans up soon and stops running from GGG.

I think the train has left the station on a GGG Canelo fight .Until he surrendered his Middle Weight belt,I was very angry with the Canelo organization. Now that they no longer hold the division hostage I really do not care what he does. We will see what happens with the Charlo brothers and Andreid in the coming months. As for GGG he has other interesting fights to make and has moved on from Alvarez. So have I. I have lost interest in Alvarez and his PPV events . I think he has been poorly handeled by Oscar and will be held responsible and accountable by those of us fight fans (such as myself) decide not to buy his next PPV.
That's the most powerful way for us fight fans to communicate with the fighters and managers. I predict dismal numbers for his next PPV.

I'm really looking forward to the Santa Cruz vs Frampton fight.

Santa Cruz vs Frampton will be the fight of the weekend. With Santa Cruz pressing the action and going non stop full tilt against Framptons speed power and boxing skills I think alot will be decided by ring generalship. Framptons lateral movement vs Santa Cruz' ability to corner. I am picking Santa Cruz by decision because of his power,endurance and style. This should be fun to watch.
I would also like to see Williams connect with a big bomb early and KO Stevenson . Stevenson is 38 and this can be done.If it goes any longer than 3 rounds it looks like Stevenson will continue to hold the belt hostage. Stevenson Kovalev will not happen because Stevenson is too old and is afraid of Kovalev.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That was a humdinger. I've always been a fan of the lighter divisions.

I just watched a replay of Postol-Crawford. Holy smokes, Crawford demolished Postol. Just how good is Terence Crawford? Postol was no chump by any means, and Crawford made him look like an idiot. Wow.

My wife finds no amusement in this, but we got married a few weeks ago, and I told her our wedding would be talked about for years because many of our guests met Larry Holmes as he was hosting a dinner at the hotel where we had our room block. Pretty cool stuff! He's all over the place around Easton, PA.

I just watched a replay of Postol-Crawford. Holy smokes, Crawford demolished Postol. Just how good is Terence Crawford? Postol was no chump by any means, and Crawford made him look like an idiot. Wow.

Going in to that fight I wasn't sure if Crawford could pull it off . If any one was goint to hit the canvas I thought it would be Crawford bsaed on Postols last match. I'm glad Crawford won because I am a real fan of his. To answer your question, I don't know how good he is because he is still on the way up. It's going to be fun to watch his carreer.

I first saw Larry Holmes on the undercard of "The Thrilla" when I was a broke college student. I paid $20 (all of my spending money for the next two weeks) to watch it closed circuit . Holmes blew me away and I was wondering how Frasier and Ali would follow that match. Frasier was thought to be a shot fighter at that time. Obviously neither I nor they had any idea of what was coming next.
Larry Holmes is one of Boxings great ambassadors. I hope I meet him someday.

That was a humdinger. I've always been a fan of the lighter divisions.

I have alwas liked 175 and below better than the heavier weights with 147 being my favorite. These weights combine speed,power, technique, and ring generalship as opposed to being primarily all about power and landing one big punch.
I think the key to Framptons win was feet. It was obvious early that Frampton had the advantage in controlling position and distance.
I scored the fight 114-114 but have no problem with a 115-113 score either way. The judge that scored it 117-111 should be called in and answer for it. The guys work too hard to be victimized by bad judging.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I first saw Larry Holmes on the undercard of "The Thrilla" when I was a broke college student. I paid $20 (all of my spending money for the next two weeks) to watch it closed circuit . Holmes blew me away and I was wondering how Frasier and Ali would follow that match. Frasier was thought to be a shot fighter at that time. Obviously neither I nor they had any idea of what was coming next.
Larry Holmes is one of Boxings great ambassadors. I hope I meet him someday.

Holmes is the complete heavyweight. World class jab, terrific balance and form, cast iron jaw, superlative on both offense and defense, took on all comers, and one of the only guys to emerge without his brains scrambled. A great champ and a great guy.

This was one of the best boxing matches I've ever seen.

It was one of the best this year. I would give the Thurman Porter fight the edge over this one for fight of the year.
Santa Curz wants an immediate rematch and I think it would be a good idea for Frampton too. It would solidify Framptons name in the USA and set up some future big PPV fights for him.

I've been following Frampton's career with interest since Froch retired, and I'm not surprised at all that Frampton is finally beginning to be recognized as a fighter. A fight with Selby would be a much better and more interesting fight than a rematch with Santa Cruz.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "Hands of Stone" movie. I'm sure there's more to Roberto Duran than just being a sore loser. He was a punishing fighter that was a pleasure to watch, and an icon to his countrymen.

Top Bottom