What's new

The 15th Annual One Blade in February Challenge

Hi,

And.....Shave 28 on Day 28 of February. In retrospect, I probably ought to have binned this one after shave number 25 on the 25th.

But, guess what?

I'll use it again tomorrow. :)

It really isn't that bad yet. It just requires going over my face after the shave looking for spots to then go over again. I do not usually do this as I don't need to when binning a blade after 15 or 16 days of one shave per day.

Personna Med Prep in a Fasan Double Slant.

Maybe next year I'll dig up a Personna Derma-Gard and try that. That's a different take on a Med Prep with what looks like an open comb wrap over the blade edge and in a plastic razor. It's meant for dry shaving but I can't see why it won't also work wet. Probably doesn't shave closely enough with that wrap on it. But, it would be Something Different.

Stan

D'oh!

Had what I said was going to be my last shave of February last night. It went pretty well. I was thinking I had lt all wrapped up with a bow on it.

Then, as I was putting my gear away, it hit me: it's freakin' LEAP YEAR!!!

Ha! So the blade is going to have to get me through one. more. shave. Tomorrow morning. I will lee you know how it turns out.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20240225_152549.jpg

366 shaves in 2024
Shave#58 of 366 remaining 308(100%)
One Blade in February Challenge

Razor:
RR Lupo 95 SB
Blade: Personna 74(27)
Brush: Yaqi Moka-Express 2 band
Soap: EJ Aloe Vera
A/S: Davidoff Cool Water
Post Shave: Proraso Green Balm, Nivea Hyaluron Gel

Last night another 3017 shave with the EJ and it was much the same my shave on Sunday night with the same setup. The remaining ring of soap is quite soft and rubbery and I do not expect it to last much longer. The P74 blade on the other hand is working very well in the Lupo and as hard as it is for me to admit, it works better than with the Rocca. it managed to leave my face very smooth and my neck just slightly less so.

SOTD February 28th 2024
February 2024 GRUME
The 15th Annual One Blade in February Challenge

Hello friends

Beautiful day here. I woke up wanting to shave again, despite having shaved yesterday, but a quick 2 passes. Today, I managed to do more. Speick Cream and AS were splendid. Semogue SOC Finest, perfect. Pre-War Tech, magnificent. Gillette Nacet (14) in this fourteenth OBIF shave looks like she loves Tech.

It made me very happy!

With us, the sensational Don Byas.

Rating: 9,5

Have a nice day and great shaves!
❤️🪒

62A222E9-322F-4A6B-855A-806F87616C6F.jpeg
IMG_5379.jpeg

February 27, shave 21, DE shave 17 - goal line?

I'm trying to figure out a way to do a quick road trip before the weekend. If I can summon the will tomorrow, this is my last OBiF shave. Might take a lot of willpower. Time is short, weather is bad, and the target is way out in the tule weeds.

View attachment 1803585
>Grooming Dept citrus pre-shave
>1909 ABC Scroll razor
>3 holes of Gillette persistence
>Wilkinson Sword shave stick
>Rubberset 153 boar
>alum
>Dickinson's Witch Hazel
>Floïd the Genuine

No honing, no stropping, much buffing, but no problems. Hit DFS. Amazed again.

Jazz note to @Beto Salatini : Oscar Peterson Trio tonight, Oscar's Verve albums featuring Stan Getz and then Ben Webster. You inspired me to cue up that playlist.
Congratulations on your wonderful post and photos, dear friend. And thank you very much for the kind mention.
Oscar, Ben and Stan…what a fantastic trio!
Enjoy, my friend!
Cheers!
❤️🪒🎵

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20240225_152549.jpg

366 shaves in 2024
Shave#59 of 366 remaining 307(100%)
One Blade in February Challenge

Razor:
RR Lupo 95 SB
Blade: Personna 74(28)
Brush: Yaqi Moka-Express 2 band
Soap: EJ Aloe Vera
A/S: Davidoff Cool Water
Post Shave: Proraso Green Balm, Nivea Hyaluron Gel

Tonight yet another 3017 shave with the EJ saw me lathering, and lathering and lathering. It seemed to take ages to get a decent lather and even whon I thought I had one rubbing it on my face proved this not to be the case and I was forced to go back to the puck again. It seemed to produce a lot of proto lather before it got its act together and made a useable lather. Once it did the Lupo/P74 combo produced a very good shave and even though the neck wasn't as well finished as my face. Don't forget Thursday is the 29th and last day of the challenge all.

lasta

Blade Biter
OBiF no 16

Final shave in February, I laid the blade on its edge as a farewell. I had very little expectations starting off, but 16 shaves gave me newfound appreciation for English steel!

Chased and achieved baby bottom smooth on the last stretch.

It did leave me with 4-5 weepers as a parting gift...
20240229_082452.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #25 and still going strong! Had more stubble that I expected yesterday, but today was fine, so this Lord Rainbow is probably good for 50+ shaves, on par with most of the rest of theirs I've tried. Much better than the last time I tried one!

I'll finish it in the regular four day a week rotation with my other three blades, probably finish it sometime in April or May.

Day 28, 96.6% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Nivea Men Shaving Creme
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Personna 74 #36
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

I made a holder for the blade, out of a corner of a stiff cardboard envelope, and gave it 20 strokes per side (80 in total) on an inexpensive Haryali strop. The edge looked good and shiny after this treatment.

Used Nivea cream for a change. I was expecting the blade to be smoother but no sharper. What it felt like was a bit sharper (working more effectively), but not any smoother. If DE smoothness has to do with coatings, they'll be long gone.

I didn't wreck it, or cut myself or the strop, so I'll call that a win.

Day 28 and a Feather every day. And we still have a bonus day left! I have 23 shaves on my older Feather (480 total).
There are still five shaves (out of 43?) on the old Feather. I went back to my Tech today to give my face a rest, and was very careful not to revive a couple of yesterday’s weepers and bleeder.

February 28, shave 22, DE shave 18 - went nowhere, home comforts only

No road trip, too many vectors, Hector. Shaved in France. Jazz from a Chicago gal, Anita O'Day from her Gene Krupa/Roy Eldridge days.

IMG_6127.jpeg

silver Leresche 35
3 holer: a bit tuggy, but effective
CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Zenith olive and horse, thx @desertcat
Lucky Tiger splash

Quick, close shave without any blade prep. The Leresche 35 beats a Single Ring on the aggressive scale. With the 3 hole blade that just means effective, no threat at all. Probably my #2 razor this February for shave quality.

44BDB6EE-8248-4EA7-9CB2-6CFD787E54C1.jpeg

Gillette Fatboy razor/Gillette Silver Blue blade-29 th shave
Lea aftershave balm/Lea tallow stick V2014
Semogue Torga boar brush
This Silver Blue blade shaves smooth as silk and is still going strong. I’m getting tired of seeing it but I’ll keep it for when I want to shave with it. It’s been dependable, consistent and durably sharp and smooth. Thank you Gillette Silver Blue blade!
It was such fun and interest to see how others experienced their shaves. Thank you for sharing everyone and thanks @Mike M for hosting!

Final shave for this month.

Feather blade. #20
Zenith boar brush
Proraso Green soap
Nivea AS
Karve Overlander

I usually skip a day for a week on shaving. This month seems that I skipped 2 days per week.
Anyway it was a fun journey. It is the second month in row that I use a blade per month. Feather blade in Karve Overalander is a really nice combo. I tried 2 other razors but Overlander was the best. I am pretty sure that Rockwell 6s would have given me great shaves, but I had cleaned it and put it on BST. So I didn't touch it.

Lessons learned these two months using a blade each:

1. Blade is more sharp than you perceive
  2. Use the blade with light touch and find the sharp edge with intuition
  3. Use less pass possible during the shave
  4. Preparation is very important.
  5. First shaves are the best but do not get used to them.
  6. It is impossible that a Feather blade is good for 2 shaves only!!!
Cheers!

Dorco Prime Platinum (STP-301 made in Vietnam) (29)
DsCosmetic Poleaxe-Ti 1.35
AoS Bourbon cream
Vanicream
Frut Aftershave
Latigo cologne

Takeaways from this year -
The Dorco is a fine blade. With the exception of shave #22, it provided excellent, easy shaves. The blade has no tea stains.
A reminder that prep is more important than shaving itself.
Hair conditioner massaged into the beard makes shaving very easy by comparison.

Thanks to @Mike M for orchestrating this year's OBIF!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Fifth One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s excellent shave
Karve brass Overlander
Loi Titanium (2)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: no
Lather: ARKO!, bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Aqua Velva
Post-shave: warm shower

What a difference a pre-shave shower makes with this set-up! Same close shave, but I could feel the whiskers resisting the whole time.

Top Bottom