What's new

Technique to use canned foam?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Barbasol Extra Moisturizing in the purple can is one of the better shaving foams in a can. However, the propellant gas still dries out my skin, so I do not like using it.

The worst thing about shaving foams is that the advertising back in the day convinced men that they needed to apply a thick layer of foam to get a decent shave. Rather than improving the shave, the thick layer just improved the profitability of the manufacturer and vendor as you would go through a can quite quickly.

Today, even when lather is produced using using a shaving soap and brush, many men believe that you need a thick layer of lather on your face to be effective. This is evidenced by all the forum threads that show photos of brushes with monstrous heads of lather.

The best soaps today are "low structure" soaps that only require a 1/16" thick layer of lather to provide all the slickness and protection you need for your shave. Those who still apply a thick layer of lather to their faces often complain about how quickly they go through a tub of soap. Most of the soap is going down the drain rather than contributing to the quality of the shave.
Truth. I suspect that most of the "Williams won't lather" complaints that filled this forum for many, many years were from men who were disappointed with the soap for not rewarding them with a Santa beard.

I used Edge Gell for years. Then went electric for the remainder of my USN enlistment. Picked up DE in ’09 using cream then soap. Bought a Barbasol can a few year ago when the airline lost my luggage. It works when you add extra water to it.
Passed it off to my 8yr old for “shaving” when I got him. Added it to his collection of foam. I.e Colgate, Barbasol and an after shave I also bought but it smells to sweet and and young man, to me.

Like most guys who took up shaving in 60’s and 70’s, canned foam was the standard. I knew no one who whipped up lather with a brush.
The whole point of canned foam is convenience. There is no technique. It is squirted out of the can into your hand and smeared on your face. That’s it. Why complicate it?

How many of us use a pre shave when using propellant creams, gels and foams? Currently I'm using a face wash or scrub plus a little shea butter oil (emulsifier) to soften my very coarse and stubborn whiskers

Canned foam needs water. Add drips hot water and work with brush preferably. Keep adding water as long as lather consistency isn’t runny. It should become of a comparable quality as most soaps and creams. The main ingredient is usually stearic acid in all these products. But then may as well skip the can. You’re paying for a bulky metal container, air and propellants, cheap perfume, and probably other junk.

Barbasol Extra Moisturizing in the purple can is one of the better shaving foams in a can. However, the propellant gas still dries out my skin, so I do not like using it.

The worst thing about shaving foams is that the advertising back in the day convinced men that they needed to apply a thick layer of foam to get a decent shave. Rather than improving the shave, the thick layer just improved the profitability of the manufacturer and vendor as you would go through a can quite quickly.

Today, even when lather is produced using using a shaving soap and brush, many men believe that you need a thick layer of lather on your face to be effective. This is evidenced by all the forum threads that show photos of brushes with monstrous heads of lather.

The best soaps today are "low structure" soaps that only require a 1/16" thick layer of lather to provide all the slickness and protection you need for your shave. Those who still apply a thick layer of lather to their faces often complain about how quickly they go through a tub of soap. Most of the soap is going down the drain rather than contributing to the quality of the shave.
Amen!

Well best advice I can offer is Wal-Mart Equate house brand is not with 20 cents.

Stuff has little moisture to soften, it is like micro bubbles, with no weight.

I had two cans I bought 6 months ago, to use for money saving.

Not very good product.

My technique is following:

1. open your trash bin
2. grab canned foam firmly into your hand
3. quickly throw it into the bin

nah, just kiddin' 😀😀😁

Oddly enough, I used Barbasol for the first time last week (it was a can my wife bought for my Grandson to "fingerpaint" with) -- against three days growth I noted how dry the lather was pass one, and concur with adding additional water either to the lather or face and not shaking the water out of the razor when rinsing. Pass two with added water was much slicker and more comfortable than pass one -- it worked well enough in a pinch, but I still chose Palmolive cream in a tube this morning versus the Barbasol.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I found Edge gel better than foam in a can, wash your face and keep wet then apply gel and with in 40 seconds I always had a good lather created it seemed.
Did this for over 30 years and it was just a routine that I never thought you needed much for skill level. A lot of Modern cartridge manufactures made shaving so boring and easy with their plastic razors with 5-6 blades stuck in there some how.
I get better shaves with a DE or SE razors with a brush to lather with, but it does take a few minutes longer!

When I use canned stuff I put it on, Brush Teeth, seems time brushing teeth, allows foam to work.

Down to last can of Barbosol, have mini sample of few real soaps.

I am done with canned foam, will pick up new brush this week.

Moving away from can stuff.

For canned foam I prefer Gillette Foamy (Lemon/Lime and Menthol are my favorite, but sadly discontinued. They both work well out of the can on a wet face. Barbasol works very well too, but ONLY if you add a little extra water. It is much heavier and dryer than Foamy and reacts well when slicked up with a little water. IMHO canned foam will never be as good as a good cream or soap. But if one figures out what works for them, it is an acceptable replacement.

For canned foam I prefer Gillette Foamy (Lemon/Lime and Menthol are my favorite, but sadly discontinued. They both work well out of the can on a wet face. Barbasol works very well too, but ONLY if you add a little extra water. It is much heavier and dryer than Foamy and reacts well when slicked up with a little water. IMHO canned foam will never be as good as a good cream or soap. But if one figures out what works for them, it is an acceptable replacement.
Foamy menthol and lemon lime are still available in some countries.

Don’t ask me why they do this…

The small 50 ml Proraso mini cans are really useful for travel or when you are in a rush. A two pass shave uses about 3ml, so about 16 shaves per can.

proxy.php

I just walk by it on the rare occasion I have to go down that particular aisle in the store now. When I used to use it I just sprayed it in my hand and applied it to my face and proceeded to shave

I sprayed some Barbasol Sensitive into a stainless bowl and whipped for 30 seconds. Painted my face and waited 30 seconds and got a DFS. I use the little 2 oz cans.

Top Bottom