What's new

Technique to use canned foam?

I get it... you can pretty much just slap Barbasol on your face and go. It was designed with convenience in mind.

But this is B&B, we are all about the finer points of shaving. Is there a technique to applying canned foam, or a better way to do it?

1. Spray dollop the size of a plum into your palm
  2. Smear goop liberally around your chops
  3. Look at yourself in the mirror. Hard.
  4. Snap out of your stupor.
  5. Rinse off thoroughly
  6. Find some actual soap, even Arko if that is all you have
  7. Realize how close you came to a shameful and sorry state
  8. Never speak of this again...

lasta

Blade Biter
Canned foam works like any other lather for me.

Key is pre-shave preparations rather than how to apply lather.

First: 4 minutes beard wetting time minimum.

Then: Apply whatever shaving lubricant you like. They all work the same.

I use Canned Barbsol brr er cause I have some, paid good money for, and am frugal.

I put it in palm, spread think goop on face.

Then brush teeth, and that time allow shaving foam to soften wishers.

No I am not buy no more Barbsol, or can shave foam.

But is using what I have, because I am frugal.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I don't have extensive experience with different brands of shaving foam, but currently I use barbasol, and I find it likes things very wet. Wash face, then splash water on face and leave it sopping wet, then foam into a dripping wet hand and then smear it on face. Dip razor in water, don't shake it off, and then shave. Hope this helps!

I used to use Noxzema sensitive skin a few years back. That one liked your face being fairly wet too as I think the wetter your face was the better sensitive protection you received somehow. When they discontinued it, I think I had a can of some gel but I wasn't a fan. Then went back to straight shaving/shaving soaps.

edit: now its on ebay for $50-$120 a can (plus $15 shipping) gouge much?

I used to use Noxzema sensitive skin a few years back. That one liked your face being fairly wet too as I think the wetter your face was the better sensitive protection you received somehow. When they discontinued it, I think I had a can of some gel but I wasn't a fan. Then went back to straight shaving/shaving soaps.

edit: now its on ebay for $50-$120 a can (plus $15 shipping) gouge much?
Is that crazy or what? I have a can of Foamy original scent that probably appreciate. Anyway, I spray a little foam into my stainless mug and whip it till the foam turns into a cream. It's not bad. Barbasol Sensitive is a good one to try.

i'll use canned foam from time-to-time as needed!
always get great shaves!
if time permits, prep with glycerin soap face lather and rinse.
hey, it's only another form of shave soap!

Noxzema Gillette Mennen Skin Bracer March 8 2023.jpg

Seems l recall an electric heater to set the can in to get a warm lather. Might have been a fad l dont know. Been years since l saw the ad.

I get it... you can pretty much just slap Barbasol on your face and go. It was designed with convenience in mind.

But this is B&B, we are all about the finer points of shaving. Is there a technique to applying canned foam, or a better way to do it?
On the very rare occasions when I'm in a rush but still want a DE shave I just wash my face, spray the Barbasol into my hand and apply to my wet face. Let it sit a minute and than so my quick one pass shave - just like my college days before I went electric. Not much more to it. My can of Barbasol is used so infrequently that it's an older 10 oz. version. They shrinkflated it to 7 oz. years ago.

Barbasol is not my everyday preference, but it certainly works well enough. Most preps do, if used correctly.

No special technique for me. Just make sure face is plenty wet before starting and re-wet as necessary.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Before joining this Forum I used to use can foams and gels only. I always applied them with a brush. I used to wash my face while the brush was swirling around in the sink, I would then spray a little foam or gel into the brush knot and apply. Worked well for me and would still be doing it if this Forum didn’t exist.

When I used canned foam before, I spray it into a bowl or some convenient dry spot around the sink, then pinch some, apply to my wet face and do some rubbing. Think of trying to apply foam with brush after I got brush but now I go for soap if I pick up the brush.

The secret ingredient is ... just water. No need to stingy with water.

I use a bowl and a brush with it. Shake out most of the water from the brush, swirl it a bit, and apply like any soap. Haven’t done it in a while but never had issues with Barbasol. It’s just not as fun.

Canned foam existed years before carts.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I only use them once or twice a month but I really enjoy canned foam from time to time. I love original Noxzema in the white can, but I also like original Gillette Foamy, and Foamy Barbershop Fresh, which is a lavender foam bomb.

Technique? Shake the daylights out of the can. Many don't do this and it leads to a waste of product as you'll soon have a half can of runny goop without sufficient propellant. Wash face with soap; leave a little wet soap on the face. Apply a thin layer of foam; let it sit on the face for 2-3 minutes. Cut it with water, leaving a thin, slick layer on the face. Shave.

Barbasol Extra Moisturizing in the purple can is one of the better shaving foams in a can. However, the propellant gas still dries out my skin, so I do not like using it.

The worst thing about shaving foams is that the advertising back in the day convinced men that they needed to apply a thick layer of foam to get a decent shave. Rather than improving the shave, the thick layer just improved the profitability of the manufacturer and vendor as you would go through a can quite quickly.

Today, even when lather is produced using using a shaving soap and brush, many men believe that you need a thick layer of lather on your face to be effective. This is evidenced by all the forum threads that show photos of brushes with monstrous heads of lather.

The best soaps today are "low structure" soaps that only require a 1/16" thick layer of lather to provide all the slickness and protection you need for your shave. Those who still apply a thick layer of lather to their faces often complain about how quickly they go through a tub of soap. Most of the soap is going down the drain rather than contributing to the quality of the shave.

Top Bottom