What's new

Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance

Any Tatara fans on B&B? For such a wonderful tool, I'm surprised it doesn't have it's own club or brotherhood. As a club name, how's Society of the Sword (SOS)? Or Brotherhood of Tatara (BOT)? How about Tatara Shaving Alliance (TSA)? Describe your setup; are you Masamune or Nodachi fan? Do you mix and match? How amazing is the Muramasa? Post your thoughts and your pictures!

I have searched here and was surprised to not find a group dedicated to Tatara. We should definitely start one. Their products are excellent and I’m sure they have plenty of fans here. I received these on Christmas from my lovely wife and I am enjoying them thoroughly. Currently in the process of evaluating different blades in this razor.
96545908-2BA8-4D06-A7E0-503620D6DEA0.jpeg

I have searched here and was surprised to not find a group dedicated to Tatara. We should definitely start one. Their products are excellent and I’m sure they have plenty of fans here. I received these on Christmas from my lovely wife and I am enjoying them thoroughly. Currently in the process of evaluating different blades in this razor.
View attachment 1395737

That's a good looking brush. Did the brush stand come with it? I love the Masamune but wish it were a bit more efficient. I have a Nodachi plate on order; we'll see how that compares.

That's a good looking brush. Did the brush stand come with it? I love the Masamune but wish it were a bit more efficient. I have a Nodachi plate on order; we'll see how that compares.
The stand was separate from Fendrihan. It fits great, but I wish Tatara made a drip stand that carried forward the same design. My only other razor is a 34C that I’ve been using 10+ years. I find the Masamune to be outstandingly smooth and about as efficient. I will try the different base plate and cap combinations at some point, but the longer Nodachi handle doesn’t appeal to me.

I have a Tatara with Masamune and Nodachi plates and caps. I like all the combinations, but my favorite is Nodachi plate and cap....super smooth and efficient. It is one of my favorite razors. It's very well made, really maneuverable and provides top tier performance. I'll try to get a picture and upload it soon.

Recently acquired a Tatara Masamune with a Nodachi top-cap and both base plates (using the milder Masamune) off the BST forum. I'm still in the process of learning the in's and out's of this particular razor but I'm liking most everything about it. Would like to try the Masamune top-cap but don't want to shell out the money for one... Yet.
20220108_192521 copy.jpg

20220108_192615 copy.jpg

I agree, it's about time! I have first bought the Masamune and I loved it so much that I have bought the stand, nodachi base and cap as well.

I just love the Masamune design, to me it's the best looking razor (don't like the Nodachi handle, though).

I don't use any of my other razors (Merkur 34C and Rockwell 6s). Although I intend to keep them and use them every now and then.

My favorite blades for Tatara so far are the Nacet and Wizamet Super Iridium.

I really like my Tatara ❤️!

First I got the Tatara Masamune Nodachi with both the open comb and safety bar plates.

Blade gap and exposure for both is the same and I quickly noticed that there is no difference in effectivness and smoothness between the two. Someone once mentioned that he prefers the open comb plates because they have more ‘blade feel’, but to me the results are the same, there is no noticeable difference in aggressiveness, and I actually like the way the closed comb Nodachi feels.

Next I bought the Muramasa Adjustable, with its unique design that adjusts both blade exposure and blade gap.
It is a fine razor, but costs almost twice as much as the Masamune Nodachi (with the optional base) and I quite like the Masamune Nodachi’s longer handle that fits perfectly into my hand.

No matter whether Nodachi or Muramasa, both razors managed to make me neglect my straight razors, as for once I found two safety razors where closeness and efficiency can keep up with the best of my straight razors - something my Mühle open combs could never achieve.

One last request, if I may: Can we please make a conscientious effort not to start using abbreviations?
Abbreviations are fine as long as every forum member understands what we are talking about, but too often people throw around abbreviations to express that they are ‘in the know’, while a lot of other forum readers struggle to understand what that person is talking about.

If the concept of a forum is to communicate, then we should try to keep everyone in the loop, shouldn’t we?

Just my 2 bits…

B.

Last edited:
So far in my Masamune SB I’ve tried feather, astra sp, and Gillette silver blue. I still have several others to try but my impression so far is that feather pairs best with this razor. It is the most comfortable and at the same time the most efficient. As the razor came with feather blades, is it fair to say that is what Tatara designed it for?

So far in my Masamune SB I’ve tried feather, astra sp, and Gillette silver blue. I still have several others to try but my impression so far is that feather pairs best with this razor. It is the most comfortable and at the same time the most efficient. As the razor came with feather blades, is it fair to say that is what Tatara designed it for?
I've tried the following blades so far: Personna Crystal, Astra Superior Stainless, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Nacet and the Gillette PermaSharp (in the gold/red box, not to be confused with the 7 o'clock, PermaSharp Stainless in the green box). So far the Astra Stainless and the Personna Crystal have been my best experience.

I'd like to try a Feather, but the reported sharpness is a little intimidating. Maybe I just need to get over it and try one.

I've tried the following blades so far: Personna Crystal, Astra Superior Stainless, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Nacet and the Gillette PermaSharp (in the gold/red box, not to be confused with the 7 o'clock, PermaSharp Stainless in the green box). So far the Astra Stainless and the Personna Crystal have been my best experience.

I'd like to try a Feather, but the reported sharpness is a little intimidating. Maybe I just need to get over it and try one.
Don’t be afraid to try the feather. I’ve been been using feather for a long time and it’s a great blade. It’s no harsher to me then anything else if you’re shaving without pressing as you should. The only downside to feather is durability. Its not an issue if you’re like me and have no problem tossing a DE blade after 3 uses.

Don’t be afraid to try the feather. I’ve been been using feather for a long time and it’s a great blade. It’s no harsher to me then anything else if you’re shaving without pressing as you should. The only downside to feather is durability. Its not an issue if you’re like me and have no problem tossing a DE blade after 3 uses.
If I can get three shaves out of Feather, I'm good with that. I ordered a single tuck of ten Feather blades from the 'Zon a few minutes ago, actually, just to quash my curiosity... I feel it has to be done.

Top Bottom