What's new

Tallow-Based Soap: A Compendium

I just read the ingredient list and realized it is not tallow based for the lavender soap. I will still do a full review of it though. Sorry about the confusion

If I order Penhaligon' Blenheim Bouquet from Vintage Blades will I get the tallow rich US version, or the reformulated with less tallow UK version? Anyone know?:001_smile

If I order Penhaligon' Blenheim Bouquet from Vintage Blades will I get the tallow rich US version, or the reformulated with less tallow UK version? Anyone know?:001_smile
Blenheim now has tallow as # 5 on the ingredient list. It is still a good soap tho.

Jim, this is a wonderful thread that i refer to often!

im curious why you chose to list old spice on the list, being that it was indeed very inexpensive (understanding that a lot of times in this shave journey you get what you pay for) and also that it's not triple milled.

i assume it is included because it's an outstanding performer in your eyes. is that true? is there anything i may be missing? or should i just buy a puck??

thanks for your help!

Jim, this is a wonderful thread that i refer to often!

im curious why you chose to list old spice on the list, being that it was indeed very inexpensive (understanding that a lot of times in this shave journey you get what you pay for) and also that it's not triple milled.

i assume it is included because it's an outstanding performer in your eyes. is that true? is there anything i may be missing? or should i just buy a puck??

thanks for your help!

Well in the spirit of B&B you should buy several! :biggrin: It is a good soap and while not triple milled it is processed enough to be a "hard soap" If I had to testify in court why? I would say its just nostalgia, I started wetshaving with it when I was a peach fuzz faced kid. Have fun!

I am bumping this up. There has been alot of in interest lately in tallow soaps, and this thread is very informative.

BTW. Even Jim agrees that AOS is the best taloow soap still in production.

Hi Marcin,
Now that you know the real meaning behind PETA; join us in the Tallow Loving Coalition

Hi Paco,

I'll be ready to do so when I try more soaps than my Williams (that I usually superlather with Proraso green tube) and when I feel the differences between them.

Certainly, tallow-based soaps get great reviews and it would be sad to see them go for no good reason.

Blessings,
Marcin

Hi, quick question for anyone who might know. I've gotten a few "vintage" soaps lately. I like the Old Spice, and know it contains tallow. I find it to be a good performer. I also got a few old and a few new pucks of Colgate soap. It's ok..... but doesn't perform as well as the Old Spice. Does anyone know if it was tallow based? Thanks!

Shaving Soap
For the traditional wet shaving experience, The Art of Shaving offers their classic Shaving Soaps. Formulated with glycerin and coconut oil, they generate a rich lather when used with a shaving brush and hot water

Shaving Soap
For the traditional wet shaving experience, The Art of Shaving offers their classic Shaving Soaps. Formulated with glycerin and coconut oil, they generate a rich lather when used with a shaving brush and hot water

Eric,
Are you refering to the Website? Its been wrong for as long as its been up. Posts in this thread from 9/21 talk about it.

I've heard of the tallow based soaps from these firms and would love to try them. Just as a side note, I recently purchased a Floris No.89 shave soap, and it is horrible. It doesn't make lather. Seriously. And I'm not the only one who's had this experience. Just something to consider if you're thinking of dropping $50 on the soap/bowl like I did. Really disappointing. :frown:
Cheers

My case too with a localy manufactured and distributed "shaving" soap. Luckily I paid only $3.49 for a bar of 4.8oz (135g). There is just no usable lather out of the soap no matter ratio of water:soap. I tried bowl and face lathering, dump brush, dripping brush, softened soap, more soap, less soap.... its always airy lather simply dissipates before your eyes in matter of seconds.
And it is not the only such an artisan "shaving" soap I tried. Unfortunately there are plenty of such "shaving" soaps out there. A low cost Ivory bath soap produces a gooood, rich, well usable high quality shaving lather compared to this one.

It seems to me there are unskilled and wannabe artisans who know nothing about what makes a soap a shaving soap, who just borrowed a book on easy homemade soaps from a local library, know only about glycerin cold proces soaps from the book, and believe the shaving soap is any soap which contain plenty of glycerin, a dash of aloe, a pinch of shea butter, and some exotic fragrance. The exotic and overpowering fragrance being the most important ingredient. Set up a bussines web page, get attractive labels and photographs for "shaving" soaps overloaded with FO or EO which burn one's face, and try their luck...

Last edited:
Top Bottom