What's new

Synthetic/vegan brush shootout: Omega, Rooney, men-u, Muehle

J

jeddy-3

As a n00b to the art of proper shaving, I just got my men-u in the mail today. It is wonderful, and a world of difference from the boar hair that came free with the super speed I bought off of ebay.

The lather was very easy to produce and the bristles felt great. I don't have any experience with Badger fur, and never plan to unless at a barber shop, but this brush is definitely a winner for me. I shaved twice today, just because I was so happy with how it produced lather and how it felt on my skin. Thank y'all for making my decision an easy one. There were several synth brushes I was looking at, including the Jack Black, and it was nice to find one that was more in my budget and still a great brush. I believe in buying something of quality and not worrying about replacing it, and I'm quite sure I've done that with the Men-u offering.

-paul
NOLA

I have two synthetics, an Omega Syntex and a Rooney Nylon. I originally got them to compare with the badger brushes I have, but I am finding synthetics have a good purpose for me. A little background on my brush progression: Started with a VDH boar, then got a Omega 599 and a Syntex. I figured that was two ends of the spectrum. I found the Syntex to be in the middle of those three. Then I got a Rooney 1/1 Super, a Stubby in Pure, and the Nylon. Now back to the synthetics...

I find them good with palm lathering and bowl lathering. They seem to perform well after being worked with for a little bit. As the brushes begin to contain lather they start to thicken up, for me at least, they then perform like a normal brush. Face lathering with either feels like I am trying to use a wet noodle on my face.

I use the Rooney Nylon as my travel brush. Dries fast, no worry about the bristles, and I won't be AS pissed if I lose it, but still rather annoyed due to the cost of it being a Rooney.

The Omega I lent out to a friend who is on the fence about trying to use a brush and DE razor. He is allergic to just about everything and the Omega has worked out for him.

Some of the higher end Omega synthetics seem to be leaps away from the Syntex. So it might not be a fair comparison to have a blanket statement made by saying Omega and representing it with the Syntex. That being said I think between the Syntex and the Rooney I have, they both perform similarly. Stiff, springy bristles that kinda open up after building lather with them.

Top Bottom