What's new

Synthetic/vegan brush shootout: Omega, Rooney, men-u, Muehle

As promised in an earlier thread, here is my report comparing the four synthetic/vegan-friendly brushes I’ve located and purchased. I’ll be referencing a standard intro-level Surrey-style boar-bristle brush for a few reasons: first because it’s widely available; second, because I imagine a lot of folks here have used one of them at some point and are thus familiar with it; and third because it’s one of the few non-synthetics I have wide experience with. I’ve tested the brushes below with a variety of soaps and creams.

attachment.php

The four synthetics in question are, from left to right in the picture:

1) The Omega Black & Clear Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush (also available in Red & Clear) , ~ $12.95

2) The Rooney Synthetic Shave Brush (white pictured; also available in black), ~ $45.95

3) The men-u Premier Shaving Brush (black pictured; also available in white, blue, and red), ~ $53.99; and

4) The Muehle Vegan Shaving Brush (model # 33K257; Muehle also makes another one, the slightly less expensive # 31A824, that I don’t have and didn’t test, and there may be still another one), ~ $42.23.

In preparing this report I also discovered that The Body Shop also markets an $8.00 synthetic brush, on which I have no testing data. :smile:

The first thing I should note is that, as is the case with natural bristle brushes, the synthetics vary widely in personality. A synthetic is not a synthetic is not a synthetic. That being said, what are the personalities of these four brushes?

The two most distinctive brushes are the Omega and the Rooney. The Omega is by far the softest, as well as by far the least springy. In these respects it is least like a traditional, natural-bristle shaving brush as I’ve experienced them. It’s so soft, in fact, that it’s a bit difficult to work up a good soap lather with, although with cream this is no problem. If you really want to take it easy on your face, as may be the case with sunburn, windburn, etc., this brush paired with a good cream would be an interesting experience. I kind of like it, even though it is very different.

The Rooney is on the other end of the spectrum. It is the smallest overall of the four brushes I tested, and the knot is also the smallest and tightest, with the smallest surface area of the slate. The bristles, moreover, while very soft, are also very stiff—far stiffer than the other three synthetics and considerably stiffer than my boar bristle, as well as the one badger I’ve tried out. Almost no bloom here, unlike the other contenders. No problem building a good soap lather with this brush! Plus, the stiffness will really get your beard to stand up.

That leaves the men-u and the Muehle as the more middle-of-the-road brushes. Just as they have a very different character than the Omega and the Rooney, so, too, they are rather similar to each other and to a “typical” badger (as opposed to a boar). The men-u is both softer and less springy than the Muehle; it’s not as soft as the Rooney, and still nowhere near the Omega. The Muehle, in terms of softness, springiness, and even overall weight rather closely approximates my Surrey boar, though it is still somewhat softer and more flexible (the me-u is much lighter than the others).

Softness, 1 to 5 scale (5 being the softest):

Omega—5

Rooney—3

Men-u—2.5

Muehle—2

Stiffness, A to E scale (E being the stiffest):

Omega—A

Men-u—B

Muehle—C

Rooney—E

Subjectively, I find I’m using the men-u the most, followed by the Muehle. The Rooney is a bit too stiff for my taste, along with too small a surface area, though I prefer it with harder and less lathery soaps.

And there you have it. Happy shaving!

hack

Thanks for kick-starting discussion on this little-studied category with such a scrupulous and detailed review, hack! :thumbup:

Thanks, I have a silvertip badger brush myself, despite being a vegetarian, but I have been invited to meet a couple of baby badgers that someone here is taking care of after their mother was hit by a car, so after that my bad conscience might make me get a synthetic brush!

Thanks for this great info. When I bought my first brush on a whim, I had no idea that it was actually badger fur.

I have been looking at the Men-U brush for a while and will probably pick it up now (need some Taylors anyway).

In preparing this report I also discovered that The Body Shop also markets an $8.00 synthetic brush, on which I have no testing data. :smile:

hack

Don't waste any money on this crap. The hairs fall out. The wood and glue are not secure. There are plenty of synthetic brushes, as you have mentioned, that are a lot better.

Bravo!

Excellent bit of research hack, is there a picture of the brushes we can see? I have the Taylors of Old Bond Street B16 imitation badger brush (hopefully made from synthetic fibres and not from a boar that was imitating a badger) but as it's the only brush I've ever used I can't really review it as I have nothing to compare it too.

Also, Old Dominion Soap carry a synthetic brush, I'm currently waiting to hear back from them about International delivery.

hmmm . . . the pic I posted seems to have disappeared. I'll try to repost later.

Addendum: I got a Cyril R. Salter synthetic as well. Except for the logo, it's identical to the Rooney. One of them must be making it for the other.

hack

Thanks, I have a silvertip badger brush myself, despite being a vegetarian, but I have been invited to meet a couple of baby badgers that someone here is taking care of after their mother was hit by a car, so after that my bad conscience might make me get a synthetic brush!

man let's find that mother's body and make brushes!! (ok, bad joke, but i gotta admit it was the first thing i thought of) :/

As promised in an earlier thread, here is my report comparing the four synthetic/vegan-friendly brushes I’ve located and purchased.

Who wants a namby pamby vegan-friendly brush anyhow? A real man wrassles down a badger, shaves off his hair and has a dandy shaving brush!
Vegans!:mad: a pox on them all!

Rich

“Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any” – Mark Twain

Who wants a namby pamby vegan-friendly brush anyhow? A real man wrassles down a badger, shaves off his hair and has a dandy shaving brush!
Vegans!:mad: a pox on them all!

Rich

“Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any” – Mark Twain

I too, hate hippies and girlie men. While your at it, try finding some flint to chip into a blade....:cool:

I have a really cheap Men-U brush at the moment - the most basic model. It whips up a good enough lather, but the bristles are constantly falling out. Can't wait to get a better brush!

Richard and Chopper, I'm not sure if you are serious or joking, but everyone is welcome here. I don't practice a vegan lifestyle, but I respect others right to do so. And if they prefer a synthetic brush, that just leaves more badger brushes for you and me. Also, Chopper, I'm called the Hippie at work. Well, token hippie. Sorry you don't like me. My hair may be long, but I've got the best shave at work, and a couple of converts to DE and straight shaving as well.

Randy

Richard and Chopper, I'm not sure if you are serious or joking,

Let's just say I indulge hyperbole on occasion. No offense or acrimony intended. Just raising a playful debate. We're all welcome here right - even those with dissenting opinions?

Rich

“Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions.” – Mark Twain

Let's just say I indulge hyperbole on occasion. No offense or acrimony intended. Just raising a playful debate. We're all welcome here right - even those with dissenting opinions?

Rich

“Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions.” – Mark Twain

Thank you for your comments Randy. Well put.

If I may chime in here: I wasn't aware that there was anything being debated in this thread. This thread was and is about the quality of a particular type of shaving brush. It isn't appropriate that there should be commentary about the moral choices people make when deciding what products to purchase.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but there are folks who don't care to have their lifestyle, appearance, moral choices or religion questioned or joked about. A vegan lifestyle is for many a matter of religous obligation and that is not a suitable subject for mockery, even in jest. There are those who are mocked as "hippies" who wear their hair long, again for religous reasons - Sikhs for example. But religon aside, people should not be mocked for their grooming choices or for their personal style.

And again, without intending to offend anyone: no one has the right to have a "dissenting" opinion about another's religous or moral practices when those practices do no harm to anyone.

If as a matter of so-called "morality" or so-called "religion" a person advocates hatred or violence,then that is to be fought. Islamic terrorism is a current example of religion being used to justify atrocities and that is to be fought. But when a moral or religous practice involves harmlessness and doing no violence, then that is another matter entirely.

And at the end of the day, such debates do not belong in this forum, if they belong anywhere on this site, they belong in the Speakeasy forum. And so if the moderator wishes to move my comments and those to which they relate to the Speakeasy, then I for one would be very pleased. If the moderators wish to delete my comments and those to which they relate, I would be pleased as well.

The authors of this thread, I think, want to discuss a particular type of shaving brush, and nothing more, and that I would think is a great conversation to take place here.

As for the rest, including what I have to say should either be deleted entirely or moved to the Speakeasy.

Best regards to all.

Gee whiz! Chop and I were just having a little fun. What's happening to our society when we can't laugh at ourselves? Are we taking ourselves too seriously?

no one has the right to have a "dissenting" opinion about another's religous or moral practices when those practices do no harm to anyone.

As for the above, our countries (both the U.S. & Canada) most definately allow for dissention. It's called freedom of speech. I certainly didn't intend to ruffle feathers. I've seen lots of threads in this forum generate harmless little side trails. That's all this was. Lighten up!
Rich

“If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” – Mark Twain

It was in the best of jests(my comments that is)...As it says in my sig, I,m not mean. I'm realistic. I am also not PC, nor did I make any religous or anti religous/lifestyle/tell you how to live comments. I think Hacks review of the tested brushes was great. I even learned something informative if I ever I have customers ask me about said brushes. I respect everyone no mater what.....But I CAN AND WILL STILL MAKE JOKES! HA! If you can't laugh, what do you have left?

Top Bottom