What's new

Suehiro Gokumyo 10,000 edge

Any thoughts on the edge from the Suehiro Gokumyo GMN 100 as a final edge with or without crox? Any tips on how to make this happen so as to save needing any further finish stones and steps? Many thanks.

I don't have the Gokumyo, but I'm using a Naniwa superstone 10k + Skerper ultra fine black paste (0.6 micron) + black paste from Lalune (0.25 micron) on a 2 sided hanging strop.

Works perfect for me.

For me the 10 k naniwa alone isn't sharp enough - but I haven't had the most experience honing my own razors.

Last edited:
Have not tried the edge from the stone. If you have it and you don't like the shave then paste can bump up sharpness on a budget. If you don't have it, then it might be worth getting a cheaper pre finisher then a natural

The suehiro 10k is better imo than the naniwa 12. I have shaved off of it. I have the 15 and had the 20k(sold to a pal). I haven't used them in years though.

After the naniwa 10K
I use the suehiro 10K
and then the suehiro 20K.

I am unaware of any finer synthetic stone.

A handful of strokes under running water but not too many. That’s all the stone will do.

That being said only you can know if that will be enough without going a little further.

The quality of an edge after it's been finished, regardless of the stone it was finished on, relies heavily on the quality of the work that precedes it. Steel type/quality and geometry factor in also.
I mention this because most of the people who are relatively new seem to chase finishing stones when they'd do themselves more of a favor by chasing bevel set and mid-range stones and skills.

High grit synthetics bore me usually, to be honest. The Gok 10k, 15k, and 20k stones for example, do not float my boat.
Sure, they work, but I still want to final finish after using them, so they don't live here anymore.
The Suherio 10k, either of them, were not 'finishers' for me. Neither seemed to be significantly or actually better than the Glass Stone 10k even though they have a theoretical 0.5µm particle size advantage.

The Kouseki 10k is about the same to me as the Gok 10k, the 15k Gok has an edge on both of them but it is minor. The Kouseki feels better under the blade but I find that level of refinement to be a bit of a 'no man's land' for me. The 20k Gok doesn't add enough to the story for it to be worthwhile for me.

FWIW - when I use abrasive compounds, I generally prefer to jump to them from 5-6-8k stones, definitely not 10k, 12k, or higher. The Glass Stone 6k HC is choice for me for that kind of routine.

Prior to the Kouseki 10k, (a couple years ago), I was a big fan of the Naniwia, 8k Snow White. I use them to produce a near mirror pre finish, then finish on a Jnat.

My usual progression is 1k, to vintage King 6k, (near mirror) to 10k. The Kouseki 10k does load up a bit and can degrade an edge and bevel, if you finish on the swarf. For the best finish you want to keep them clean.

A Mr. Clean eraser removes all the swarf in literally a couple of swipes. Auto Paint prep guys say they are 3-6k grit, but I think possibly higher. Mr. Clean brand erasers last longer than cheaper no name brand, but you can buy in quantity to reduce the price.

The Kouseki 10k is stone face dependent, the smoother the face the better the finish, you will see less stria on the bevel and a bit finer/straighter edge.

The include smoothing stone, I believe 3k will improve the stone finish over a diamond plate, as will a hard tomo nagura. But really if you are not shaving off this stone, it does not matter, and you can use it off a 300-600 diamond plate.

I recently shaved off the Kouseki 10k, and it was a nice shave, not as harsh as a Naniwia 12, but a Jnat will bump up the keenness a bit more and also comfort.

Every razor that comes across my bench is honed on the Kouseki 10k. The stone has a wide range, is aggressive and will finish well and is a stone one could shave off. Next time I get a razor in with a small chip I will try a one stone hone, like I did with the Naniwia 12k Super Stone, years ago.

Do use the fine stone to finish the stone face, (smooth out the corners) then rinse clean, or a Nagura if you are going to shave off the 10k.

The Kouseki 10k is stone face dependent, the smoother the face the better the finish, you will see less stria on the bevel and a bit finer/straighter edge.
That is my experience as well if I use it as a pure finisher.
The Kouseki is the only synthetic stone I have used that works good with a jnat nagura. This adds versatility and more range for those who don't want to have allot of extra stones. It also reduces swarf loading.

There is not much, if any difference in the final results compared to the Shapton 10k Rock star, in my opinion. However, for me this is more a pure finisher.
Both produce a better edge then a Naniwa 12k, in my opinion.

Top Bottom