What's new

Strop talk for beginners .........

I'm about a week deep into SRS and am enjoying it quit a bit. That said, after much study on stropping technique, nothing has saved my starter strop from newbie mistakes. It seems to be very similar to learning to shave. You have to make the connection to both the blade angle and sound to establish a method that will yield optimal results. What should I do with the nicks on my starter strop? Also, I have eased up on my draw but keep getting strop scuffs from the point. Any suggestions?

I'm about a week deep into SRS and am enjoying it quit a bit. That said, after much study on stropping technique, nothing has saved my starter strop from newbie mistakes. It seems to be very similar to learning to shave. You have to make the connection to both the blade angle and sound to establish a method that will yield optimal results. What should I do with the nicks on my starter strop? Also, I have eased up on my draw but keep getting strop scuffs from the point. Any suggestions?

Slow and steady wins the race! What kind of strop are you using? If it's a Filly, you can use a pumice stone or really high grit sand paper to iron out the nicks. If it's red latigo, I'm not sure how to repair the nicks myself, but someone with more experience in slicing latigo should be able to help you. Try to hold the strop taught, but not white knuckle tight. Use just enough pressure to keep the blade even on the leather, and make sure your x-stroke is proper. Others might do it differently, but I've found that when starting out this is the easiest way to gain muscle memory which will later allow you to move as fast as the old vets. How wide is the strop? The sound on the strop should be a smooth sound. If it at all sounds shrill, you're doing it wrong. Also, depending on the strop material, the draw should be consistent. By draw I mean the feeling of the leather sucking the blade into itself.

Don't worry about ruining your first strop as most of us have done it. That's the point of not spending too much on your first piece of leather.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
To fix the nicks, use sandpaper. For huge nicks (major stuff), glue + sandpaper. I found that ~300 fixed the leather quickly but it won't be pretty looking. As long as the razor isn't skipping or hitting a bump while you strop, it's good.

To strop now, take it slow, you will gain speed with time. I think I fully strop a razor in 5-7 minutes now (30 linen/60 leather) I do more than that as sometimes I loose count but that's how it goes!

This is a good topic. Kudos to the OP.:thumbup:

I have been taking it slow and I think my stropping is getting better. The inexpensive strop I got from Larry Andro is in pretty good shape so far.

My question is: What is the difference between a regular strop (one you pull tight) and a paddle strop? Are they the same and it is just a matter of preference?

How should you treat your leather strop? Should you be rubbing oil on it or any type of conditioner?

thanks,

Thanks for the advice. I was able buff out most of the wear by using 400 grit paper. Should I assume that the strop can become too smooth due to sanding?

This is a good topic. Kudos to the OP.:thumbup:

I have been taking it slow and I think my stropping is getting better. The inexpensive strop I got from Larry Andro is in pretty good shape so far.

My question is: What is the difference between a regular strop (one you pull tight) and a paddle strop? Are they the same and it is just a matter of preference?

How should you treat your leather strop? Should you be rubbing oil on it or any type of conditioner?

thanks,

I've never used a paddle strop, but I've been under the impression that it's sometimes preference, and mostly you'd rather paste a paddle strop than a hanging strop to eliminate the variable of slack.

As for caring for your strop, rub your palm on your nose or forehead, then while holding the strop loosely, vigorously run your palm along the length of the strop for roughly 50 passes. The oils from your forehead and nose will increase the draw of the strop slightly, which I like. Most people feel that just running their palm across the strop a bunch of times before stropping without rubbing their palms on their forehead or nose is more than enough. I would say most of the time I just do that, but sometimes I'll rub the forehead and nose beforehand.

Top Bottom