What's new

Stirling Soap Company Visit

Thanks for posting. Surprised they have such a huge showroom considering they are in a small town and likely do not get much actual customer traffic, unlike Jermyn Street in London, home of TOBS and Geo Trumper.

Have so far tried about 8-9 sample pucks. By far my favorites are the mutton tallow options of Electric Sheep, and Varen. I have Scots Pine as well but have not opened it yet. No plans to try their Glastonbury mutton tallow soap as I am put off by the description. But I may give their Glacial Electric Sheep a try on my next order

Thanks for posting. Surprised they have such a huge showroom considering they are in a small town and likely do not get much actual customer traffic, unlike Jermyn Street in London, home of TOBS and Geo Trumper.
As it took me about 2 hours to drive to the store through the mostly empty Arkansas countryside, I didn't expect it to be so big. I asked one of the employee if they get many visitors. Her response was, "yes, lots of people." I wasn't the only one in the shop on a Wednesday morning.

Off topic:
I asked one of the employee if they get many visitors. Her response was, "yes, lots of people." I wasn't the only one in the shop on a Wednesday morning.
This may partially restore my faith in the wet shaving culture, at least on short term.

Some reasons why I am still worried about the future of wet shaving culture (DE, SE and SR): this week, I asked my work colleagues (ages between 35 to 65) how they shave. One is using a Gillette cartridge, the other 9 are using trimmers. Yesterday, I asked my barber how he is shaving and he told me he's also using a trimmer. All of them had a common point of view: shaving takes too much time and they could not understand why someone would want to spend time and money on it. Among my generation (age 20-30), the situation looks even worse.

Off topic:

This may partially restore my faith in the wet shaving culture, at least on short term.

Some reasons why I am still worried about the future of wet shaving culture (DE, SE and SR): this week, I asked my work colleagues (ages between 35 to 65) how they shave. One is using a Gillette cartridge, the other 9 are using trimmers. Yesterday, I asked my barber how he is shaving and he told me he's also using a trimmer. All of them had a common point of view: shaving takes too much time and they could not understand why someone would want to spend time and money on it. Among my generation (age 20-30), the situation looks even worseI am going to act like I did not read this...

I am going to act like I never read this. :biggrin1: By all means I will keep it away from the First Mate - she does the books!

It does have merit. Just look around at guys walking down the street, on TV, on social media. The prevailing and preferred look is at least three day growth of beard. That has always been lost on me, don't get it but there it is. And trends change over time as well.

Well I guess this is just the way it has been for decades after all, the goop (that I used for years) cartridge etc were all about "practicality", I used to be able to get up and ready for work in 25 minutes (shower shave dress breakfast ), not so much anymore, must of my shave are in the 10 minutes range. I just listen to the radio for 10 minutes rather than be on an electronic device during that time. It just make me happier.

At this point wet shaving is not about shaving but about self care. Do you want to do something and take care of yourself, or do you want to be done with it. At this point in my life I am just looking to take care of myself.

I had the opportunity to visit the Stirling Soap Company's store in Paris, Arkansas, as I was visiting the general area. Let's be frank, there's nothing near Paris, Arkansas, a quaint little coal mining town with a population of just over 3,200 residents. The most notable business in town is Stirling Soap Company.

Stirling Soap Company's brick & mortar store was not what I expected. I thought I'd see a small shop and be overwhelmed by scents the moment I entered. Neither were true. It was a large shop, with lots of room to walk around. The shelves were stocked with products, and frequently young women would come from the back to the shelves to pick up items for shipment.

I asked where the soaps were made and one of the young women (there were only young women at the shop), said that they were made a couple of blocks away, and every morning more arrived to be stocked on the shelves. The shelves were stocked with every soap they make with large stacks of soap in 5.8 ounce containers, 4.5 ounce refill pucks, and 1 ounce sample pucks. There was also a discount shelf with discontinued items.

My main goal in visiting the shop was to try each scent, to see for myself if I'd like what many of you have lauded as your favorites. I opened one of each type of 5.8 ounce soap container, and sniffed them all. I've found that scents are a very personal thing, and some scents I thought I'd like... I didn't. I tended to prefer the milder scented soaps - Baker Street, Triumph, Duke, Sandpiper, Sharp Dressed Man, Stirling Gentleman, Unscented (beeswax), etc. The danger in my experiment was that I liked far more soaps than I planned to purchase, and had to narrows the list.

At the back was the packing and shipping area, which was quite busy with many boxes being prepared for shipment. I added to their shipment list, sending home most of what I'd bought instead of taking it all with me as shipping was free with a $70 purchase. When received, I noted that free (bath) soap samples were included in my box. In addition to shaving items I bought other soap products as gifts for relatives. Next to the shop was Stirling Roasters (coffee), which was unmanned with displays and appeared to be a work in progress.

If you visit, I'd recommend lunch at the nearby restaurant on the west corner, where they have inexpensive but delicious soups, sandwiches & salads. A few blocks away was the free Logan County Jail Museum, stuffed full of collectibles from the late 19th to mid 20th centuries, as well as a large private collection of arrowheads. Near the jail was the scene of the last hanging in Arkansas, where a convicted murderer met his end, with the story of the trial and its evidence located in the museum. Overall, it was quite an enjoyable visit and I would highly recommend it.

View attachment 1696974
View attachment 1696978
View attachment 1696980

View attachment 1696982View attachment 1696984View attachment 1696986

View attachment 1696985
View attachment 1696988
View attachment 1696991
View attachment 1696992

I had the opportunity to visit the Stirling Soap Company's store in Paris, Arkansas, as I was visiting the general area. Let's be frank, there's nothing near Paris, Arkansas, a quaint little coal mining town with a population of just over 3,200 residents. The most notable business in town is Stirling Soap Company.

Stirling Soap Company's brick & mortar store was not what I expected. I thought I'd see a small shop and be overwhelmed by scents the moment I entered. Neither were true. It was a large shop, with lots of room to walk around. The shelves were stocked with products, and frequently young women would come from the back to the shelves to pick up items for shipment.

I asked where the soaps were made and one of the young women (there were only young women at the shop), said that they were made a couple of blocks away, and every morning more arrived to be stocked on the shelves. The shelves were stocked with every soap they make with large stacks of soap in 5.8 ounce containers, 4.5 ounce refill pucks, and 1 ounce sample pucks. There was also a discount shelf with discontinued items.

My main goal in visiting the shop was to try each scent, to see for myself if I'd like what many of you have lauded as your favorites. I opened one of each type of 5.8 ounce soap container, and sniffed them all. I've found that scents are a very personal thing, and some scents I thought I'd like... I didn't. I tended to prefer the milder scented soaps - Baker Street, Triumph, Duke, Sandpiper, Sharp Dressed Man, Stirling Gentleman, Unscented (beeswax), etc. The danger in my experiment was that I liked far more soaps than I planned to purchase, and had to narrows the list.

At the back was the packing and shipping area, which was quite busy with many boxes being prepared for shipment. I added to their shipment list, sending home most of what I'd bought instead of taking it all with me as shipping was free with a $70 purchase. When received, I noted that free (bath) soap samples were included in my box. In addition to shaving items I bought other soap products as gifts for relatives. Next to the shop was Stirling Roasters (coffee), which was unmanned with displays and appeared to be a work in progress.

If you visit, I'd recommend lunch at the nearby restaurant on the west corner, where they have inexpensive but delicious soups, sandwiches & salads. A few blocks away was the free Logan County Jail Museum, stuffed full of collectibles from the late 19th to mid 20th centuries, as well as a large private collection of arrowheads. Near the jail was the scene of the last hanging in Arkansas, where a convicted murderer met his end, with the story of the trial and its evidence located in the museum. Overall, it was quite an enjoyable visit and I would highly recommend it.

View attachment 1696974
View attachment 1696978
View attachment 1696980

View attachment 1696985
View attachment 1696988
View attachment 1696991
Wonderful and thanks for sharing! I happen to be sitting in Fayetteville for work, 98 miles away and wishing I had the time for the 1 1/2 hour trip. Next time!

View attachment 1696974
View attachment 1696978
View attachment 1696980

View attachment 1696985
View attachment 1696988
View attachment 1696991
View attachment 1696992
Does Stirling offer tours of the soap production area?

I have Varen and I absolutely love both the scent and mutton tallow soap base, which I believe is also used for Glastonbury. Looking at the scent notes, there is a good bit of similarity. Do you find enough difference in the scent to have both of them?

Asking for a friend...thanks!;)

There is a similarity for sure. I find Varen more earthy and complex, whereas Glastonbury adds to that earthiness with some spice, patchouli being front and center. Enough of a difference to have both, of course.

Similar but different enough.
These 2 are my favorite Stirling soaps

I hope our hobby is growing. My wife tolerates my 1/2 hour straight razor shaves (includes stropping and oiling the razor and a shower). I have bought several safety razors and given them to younger folks to get them started. A good mild DE razor, Stirling Soap, and a good synthetic brush will get them going strong.

Which flavor is easier to please?
I like both but slightly incline towards Varen. Will be trying their Scots Pine as well very soon on e I finish the Varen. All of these were purchased as 1 ounce samples which get about 10 or shaves. So far all my Stirling shave soap purchases, about 9 so far, have been 1 ounce samples. If you go to ‘shave soap’ then use the search bar and type in ‘mutton’ all the 6 sheep tallow options pop up. Only Glacial Electric Sheep does not offer 1 ounce samples. For my face, the sheep/mutton tallow has the best glide and face feel after the shave. Once I pick a winner or two I will buy a 4 ounce refill puck or 5 ounce tub.

Soaps fads come and go but Stirling has been making a great great product for years now. A must own soap for all wet shavers

I have so many stirling soaps, it's not even funny. Many of them I have not even used once as of yet and have had them for a while. My question is do stirling soaps ever go bad? I have not even finished one stirling soap yet because I have many other non stirling soaps I like to use. how long does shaving soap last (not referring to how many shaves I get out of it)? if you don't use a soap for a very long time and than use it, will it be ok to use or will it go bad somehow?

I'm a huge Stirling fan (just got more samples today). I'm sorry I missed this thread when you posted it. Great writeup and fantastic pictures as well. Great fun to see what their retail operation looks like!

Top Bottom