What's new

Start saving them dollars.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I know it’s early but the 2024 LE pipe is in the works. Without revealing too much info this year’s pipe is by a carver that quite a few of us have pipes from, and others will recognize the name. Cost will be somewhere between $250-300 depending on a number of factors.

Just for future reference, It’s getting harder and harder to find a carver that’s able to produce a handmade pipe for under $300, so next year we may need to save a few more dollars than this year.

One reason is that the price of briar has gone way up while the availability of “moderate to good briar” has gone way down. Because of the issues with Briar the carver this year would like to see if we can get a ball park estimate of how many people would be interested in purchasing a pipe now that we have a rough estimate of the cost. He’ll use the number to make sure he orders enough pieces of Briar.

If you’re interested, just let me know in this thread and I’ll get a complete count in a couple of weeks. At this time there will probably only be one finish offered, but if that changes let me know if you’d be interested in buying more than one pipe in different finishes. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
With one finish, I'd be in for one.
Just thinking of it makes me grin.

s-l1200.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
This is probably a bit polarizing but I don't own any Devil Anse pipes and I'd love to own one.

I'd also like to put a plug in for something with a Dansih flair if Anse is out. A smallish, light blowfish or acorn pipe maybe?

I guess I'd just like to see something unique. Traditional shapes will tend to get more buy in from everyone though...but I'm sure we all own enough Straight billiards and the like. I'd prefer something unique.

I also understand that unique pipes require more workmanship and generally mean a higher price. That's why I led with Anse. It is a fairly common shape and could be made on the relatively inexpensive side of things.

...I'm rambling...

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Let me ask everyone this, what shape would you like to see offered in a pipe. I have my own ideas, but I’m interested to see what everyone else would like to see
Couple thoughts personally from me:

- One of my favorite shapes is a wide “author” similar to a Savinelli 320. I’m not certain how that would translate to cost and such for a group buy but it would be cool to see something like that.

- My second thought would be something similar to a mid-length churchwarden. Maybe 8” long overall. Possibly keep something like that simple like a “chimney” or “billiard”.

"...but I'm sure we all own enough Straight billiards and the like." Not picking on anyone, but I operate on the theory that I can never own enough Straight Billiards:c1: That said, it is probably clear I'm a traditionalist when it comes to pipe shapes. I suppose that is due to my inherent cheapness and the more "artistic" shapes also tend toward higher prices. But that's just me. What floats my boat is a well drilled, well shaped pipe with a thinish hand cut stem. Billiards, Dublins, Authors, etc.
I'm likely in regardless but am grateful for the opportunity to voice an opinion.

Let me ask everyone this, what shape would you like to see offered in a pipe. I have my own ideas, but I’m interested to see what everyone else would like to see
If you get 20 responses to this question, you'll get 20 different answers.

Personally, I don't really care for shapes featuring forward-canted bowls like zulus, cuttys, and (sorry Brandon) Devil Anses. I like to be able to see what I'm doing.

Other than that, I've got pipes of all shapes and sizes. Heck, I think over 12 years of L.E.s, we've covered most of the basic shapes at least once.

I think, also, a lot depends on the carver. One man's bulldog may be meh, while another's may be sublime. I'd try to find a shape that the carver is known for (last year's pipe is a perfect example).

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
If you get 20 responses to this question, you'll get 20 different answers.

Personally, I don't really care for shapes featuring forward-canted bowls like zulus, cuttys, and (sorry Brandon) Devil Anses. I like to be able to see what I'm doing.

Other than that, I've got pipes of all shapes and sizes. Heck, I think over 12 years of L.E.s, we've covered most of the basic shapes at least once.

I think, also, a lot depends on the carver. One man's bulldog may be meh, while another's may be sublime. I'd try to find a shape that the carver is known for (last year's pipe is a perfect example).

This is pretty much well said. Would I would like to see is perhaps going with a signature pipe by the maker. Along with the finish. Not really “I tried a new thing”.

Top Bottom