What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Modern CNNP is usually synonymous with brutal, agonising tea that is as rough as your [adjective][noun].

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Define modern. Post 2000? Post 2004?

It seems that CNNP has its name affixed to many pricey old cakes. When did the bottom fall out, so to speak?

(Brutal and agonizing I can define for myself. :lol:)

Define modern. Post 2000? Post 2004?

It seems that CNNP has its name affixed to many pricey old cakes. When did the bottom fall out, so to speak?

(Brutal and agonizing I can define for myself. :lol:)

10 August, 1998 was the date that tea factories could sell without going via CNNP.

Shortly after, on 23 November, 2000, state approval was granted for CNNP to become a private company. They still own the "Zhongcha" logo that graces 99% of old tea.

Productions since that date have been commissioned from privately-owned factories by CNNP for use in their brand. As far as I know, there is no actual CNNP factory - they just buy productions from factories.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. I just noticed, but this means my 2000 CNNP cakes (green and yellow Zhongcha) must be some of the last of that CNNP era. Kooky!

Today's SOTD: 2008 Meiguohao from Puerh Shop. Naming your cake "America Brand" makes me really unhappy. The tea is just simple maocha, and could benefit from some creative blending.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

Productions since that date have been commissioned from privately-owned factories by CNNP for use in their brand. As far as I know, there is no actual CNNP factory - they just buy productions from factories.

Very interesting. Does the traditional numbering protocol retain any meaning? Is a 7581 still made by Kunming and a 7548 a product of Haiwan?

Naming your cake "America Brand" makes me really unhappy.

Imagine "hao" we Americans feel. I should have added that to my list of GPS embedded, phallus shaped list of gimmicky shengs. (Is the plural of sheng sheng or shengs? :confused:)

ouch

'05 Menghai 7542

I guess there's a reason the old classics stick around for so long. Nothing jumps out on this one, but I have a good time every time I break off a chunk. I may even buy another. For whatever reason, they seem to continually go up in price.

The color of the brew is decidedly orange, despite its relatively young age. It's been very consistent the numerous times I've brewed it, and strikes me as an appropriate brew for the cooler months.

Very interesting. Does the traditional numbering protocol retain any meaning? Is a 7581 still made by Kunming and a 7548 a product of Haiwan?

I believe so!

Imagine "hao" we Americans feel. I should have added that to my list of GPS embedded, phallus shaped list of gimmicky shengs. (Is the plural of sheng sheng or shengs? :confused:)

Chinese has no plurals, so it's up to you. :)

Mind you, Chinese would say "shengcha", rather than "sheng", I reckon. They're funny that way. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

To help recover from last night's overdose of Bordeaux and Rhone*, I had an '07 Mengyang Guoyan Yiwu arbor, using the remainder of Chris's enormous sample, followed by several rounds of an '07 Nanjian cooked tuo. I used to think that I could detect tremebdous differences from one shu to another, but lately they all seem to taste the same. If that is really the case, I may as will stick with this one, as it's only $2.99 for a 110g tuo- very, very cheap.

*Both were beyond words.

ouch

'08 Xiaguan Fei Tai (that's mandarin for kosher nostra) Jincha

Q: How did that scrawny kid David knock out Goliath with a puny slingshot?
A: He loaded it with a Xiaguan tuo.

Boy, is this stuff compressed. If I had a friend who was a judge, this would make a terrific gift as a novelty gavel.

As for the tea, it's top notch. The dry leaf has penetrating aroma, and it brews a nice golden (finally!) cup replete with every flavor I'm looking for. Very nice stuff, and good staying power. I'll be stocking up.

NB: Since this thread appears to be withering away, I'll dupe this post in the WIYM thread, and thereafter let the SOTD fade into obscurity.

'08 Xiaguan Fei Tai (that's mandarin for kosher nostra) Jincha

Q: How did that scrawny kid David knock out Goliath with a puny slingshot?
A: He loaded it with a Xiaguan tuo.

Boy, is this stuff compressed. If I had a friend who was a judge, this would make a terrific gift as a novelty gavel.

As for the tea, it's top notch. The dry leaf has penetrating aroma, and it brews a nice golden (finally!) cup replete with every flavor I'm looking for. Very nice stuff, and good staying power. I'll be stocking up.

NB: Since this thread appears to be withering away, I'll dupe this post in the WIYM thread, and thereafter let the SOTD fade into obscurity.

I need to try some of this stuff - sounds great (except for the fact I might need a jackhammer to take this thing apart). I think the serious compression is common along the Xiaguan range.

As for this thread withering in favour of the WIYM thread is right, but let's morph this into (or start a new thread) for discussing new pu'erhs we're trying. It's also a good spot for discussions on the sheng pass a few of us are involved in.

ouch

Which is the 2008 Xiaguan FT Jincha? :chinese:

proxy.php

Interesting that Ouch had a golden liquor from this one. Mine was decidedly dark amber when I got the leaves from the "stem". The taste is excellent, though.

Top Bottom