What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
With 1,000 views and 100 posts, I officially declare this thread a success. :tongue_sm

To christen the new 'brewhouse' section, I will have some bamboo wrapped yuole, 5g in 100ml gaiwan, and some 12 gentleman yiwu, 8g in 100ml gaiwan

I am going to have the yuole normally, but really extend out the yiwu and see how many brews I can get. To the extreme! I may even cold brew it overnight if it lasts that long.

ouch

'07 Yongpinhao yiwu

I've been looking at this one for a long time before I finally pulled the trigger. The very low price ($16, and already in the US) sent my bs meter into convulsions. Having recently enjoyed a sample of the '05, courtesy of Suzuki, I was pleased to find that this shared some of the same simple charms. The '05 was far more advanced, due no doubt to its very light stone pressing. I don't think this has the backbone for aging, and I doubt I'll repurchase it, but it should get used up rather quickly. Not bad, and cheap, to boot.

Hmm, Yongpinhao. I'm undecided! I have the 2008 Lanxiang and 2008 One-with-the-flower-on-the-wrapper, but they're not special, and the others left me cold. I'm getting the Mengyang Guoyan feeling: pretty, not bad, inexpensive... but unspectacular.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Some more of the YS 2008 Dehong - its become one of my work teas or for whenever I just want a nice, predictable cup of pu-erh.

I noticed that YS has recently listed a very reasonably priced early spring melon of Dehong (2008), as well as a 2005 Dehong melon - anyone try either of these?

Some more of the YS 2008 Dehong - its become one of my work teas or for whenever I just want a nice, predictable cup of pu-erh.

I noticed that YS has recently listed a very reasonably priced early spring melon of Dehong (2008), as well as a 2005 Dehong melon - anyone try either of these?

I've not tried the Dehong melons, but the novelty appearance makes me scared!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. I'm proud that I didn't make a joke about melons. It wasn't at all easy.

I've not tried the Dehong melons, but the novelty appearance makes me scared!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. I'm proud that I didn't make a joke about melons. It wasn't at all easy.

I thought the melons were considered a standard shape - much less novelty than a mushroom I would have thought.

And yes, not making a melons-related joke took a fair bit of willpower!

Kinda sorta. It's reminscent of those odd "stupa" teas that you sometimes see - an uncommon format. I suppose it might be nice for tossing around the house like a rugby ball/American football. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. Two melon posts, no jokes about melons. My willpower is of IRON today.

ouch

I thought the same about the mushroom shape, but I'm glad I gave the Xiaguan FT a go.

Now I can't get melons out of my head, even more than usual. :001_rolle
The British predilection for bawdiness is encouraged on this site, so feel free to let her rip.

2000 CNNP "Green Mark" today - more of a vehicle for chaqi than anything else, but what flavour exists is mild, woody, and decent.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

2002 CNNP Bingdao of Mengku

:confused:
I really wanted to like this one (once again, courtesy of the excessively kind Chris) but it resulted in the following conversation-

Mr. O: Honey, can you come down here and taste this?
Mrs. O: It's terrible.
Mr. O: You didn't even taste it.
Mrs. O: Every time you tell me to come and taste something it's terrible.
Mr. O: Please?
Mrs. O: It tastes like truck fumes.

I may not be the best at brewing, but at least I'm pretty consistent, and I employed the exact same routine I use successfully all of the time. It just left me feeling flat and bewildered. The flavors were chalky and sour, with little in the way of fruit or floral components.

I have to try this again to see what went wrong.

2002 CNNP Bingdao of Mengku

:confused:
I really wanted to like this one (once again, courtesy of the excessively kind Chris) but it resulted in the following conversation-

Mr. O: Honey, can you come down here and taste this?
Mrs. O: It's terrible.
Mr. O: You didn't even taste it.
Mrs. O: Every time you tell me to come and taste something it's terrible.
Mr. O: Please?
Mrs. O: It tastes like truck fumes.

I may not be the best at brewing, but at least I'm pretty consistent, and I employed the exact same routine I use successfully all of the time. It just left me feeling flat and bewildered. The flavors were chalky and sour, with little in the way of fruit or floral components.

I have to try this again to see what went wrong.

I had some of this again today - my first result was disastrous, as I used too many leaves and got a very bitter brew.

I used less leaves this time and got better results, but agree 100% that this is a very flat tea - no fruit, florals, earthy notes, etc. I did however detect a smoky note (essence de camion???). Basically, this just tastes like very bland tea, with some not so nice notes and a tendency towards bitterness. Of the teas I've tasted (only about a dozen shengs so far), this has been the most disappointing.

I'm going to play with this at least a few more times (more leaves and really short infusions) to see if I can coax anything from it.

At $26 per cake at YS, its not the end of the world, but if I don't get better results, I may bin this one, as I don't think it will improve with again (to my untrained thinking, if there's nothing there now, it can't get better with age - generally, my understanding is that, as with wine, the pu'erhs that are worth aging have strong/powerful notes that benefit from mellowing - but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Top Bottom