What's new

Something new and a bit different...

Legion

Staff member
...for me, anyway.

This weekend I put away the woodworking tools and made something that has been in the back of my mind for a little while.

The strop pictured is not quite finished (I just want to burnish the edges a little bit for cosmetic reasons) but I gave it a try and I am really excited by how well it worked.

What I've done is take some beautiful, rich, oily Australian red hide and paired it with some grade A veg tanned kangaroo hide. The red hide is not intended to be stropped on (although you could) but it is there for two reasons. First it provides a nice thick platform for the thin kangaroo leather to sit on (this is one of the reasons I've been concentrating on paddle strops up until now). Secondly, each time you use the strop, the oils and waxes in the red hide slightly transfer to the flesh side of the kangaroo, conditioning it and keeping it supple. The waxes also provides a nice firm grip on the barbers end.

The strop itself is 2.5" wide, and the leather part is about 20". It has Chicago screws and a nickel snap swivel.

I just used it and it put a fantastic edge on my razor. I'm really happy with it and I think it is going to become my favourite. I just wanted to show you all to get some feedback about what you think. I have ordered some D rings for the end but, having now used it, I think it might be better without them.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
What's the draw like on kangaroo leather?

Nice. Similar to latigo but a bit smoother. Of course it depends on the tanning process the leather is given too. Kangaroo can receive several different types of tans, just like cow.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm making a strop at the moment. I hope it comes out that well! I have never tried one of the ones without a handle. Do they work well? I was worried my hand might get tired or something.

Wow. I'm making a strop at the moment. I hope it comes out that well! I have never tried one of the ones without a handle. Do they work well? I was worried my hand might get tired or something.

I was worried about the same thing when I got a stop without handles, but you just get used to it. I now prefer strops without handles because I feel it gives a greater degree of feel and control when stropping.

Legion

Staff member
+1.

I think this is the reason barbers seemed to prefer them "back in the day".

Top Bottom