What's new

So where are people buying good sport coats and blazers these days?

Brooks brothers. JPress. Decent priced when on sale. eBay is nice but you need to know your size.

Also whenever you buy, please make sure you include tailoring costs whether it's sleeves or taking it in.

Biggest thing about sizing is make sure the shoulders fit and you don't have divets. Tailors can't fix that without redoing the whole jacket.

Enjoy!

I have a suit from Jos Banks. It's fine for what I need it for; to wear once or twice a year. I would never use them if I needed a suit for frequent wear however.

Agree, no sense spending the money for only a few wears a year. Remember, do not dry clean after each wear, it ruins the fibers. Brush and hang.

Kent makes a nice affordable brush. And itll last you a lifetime.

Regarding dry cleaner maybe once a season if frequently used. Once or every other year if worn seldomly.

I use the Kent double sided brush for suits, sports coats, sweaters, etc.

Here's a great instructional video on how to press your jacket at home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgXg6o1pAg

Thanks for the video link. Wow that looks time consuming and requiring some skill that I may not have. I steam my suit and sports jackets out frequently and often enough iron out the backs, but not with the kind of care displayed in the video. Believe me I am not knocking a skill ironing job and I am not saying it is not worth the effort.

<I use the Kent double sided brush>
Ha, now you are just bragging!:001_smile Just kidding, but those babies start at $120 on Amazon, although they seem to be available for about half that through other sources. I have frequently considered getting a Kent clothes brush, and for that matter hair brush. In the meantime for clothes, I have made do with similar style brushes--but not double--of which I bought four or more so I could keep one at home, one at the office, and one in care, for about $5 or so a piece, several years ago now on Ebay, shipped from China as I recall, but it has been a very long time since I have seen them available. Seems to me anyone wearing suits, sports coats, overcoats, or wool slacks or felt hat, ought to have and use a clothes brush or some kind. I am shocked not to see more around as many rolls of sticky tape as I see intended to serve a similar function. I would say that as a practical matter one should have both available but rely more on the brush.

Jos A Banks if you order online from their better lines when on sale or look for closeouts. Walking in can be a real let down but, their mail order options are pretty good.

+1. I've found several deals at Jos Banks clearance rack on line. Excellent service and quality.

Tom

Jos A Banks if you order online from their better lines when on sale or look for closeouts. Walking in can be a real let down but, their mail order options are pretty good.

I wonder if this is an area specific experience. The reason I ask is because I have had a great experience with my local Jos A. Bank store here in Hoover, AL. Excellent service, quality tailoring when I need it (even on sport jackets I did not purchase from them), and great deals on clearance items. Now, the quality may not compare to a $2000 suit from Brooks Brothers or similar, but I am buying Jos A. Bank suits for under $400 that I frequently get compliments on.

And now I will tell you my other secret, which also may be area specific. I have a local Salvation Army Family Store with an excellent selection (size, color, and quality) of gently used suits, sport jackets, and blazers. A few of my Jos A. Bank, Brooks Brothers, Pronto Uomo, and other acquisitions have cost me under $20, sometimes under $10 when you catch their 50% off clothes sales.

Tim

Last edited:
I did an internship with a lawyer over the summer and picked up navy, tan, and grey sport coats for court days at Kohl's. Just their in-house Croft & Barrow label. About $75 each and seem very well constructed.

I like the sport coats and blazers I've gotten from Jos A Bank and Mens Wearhouse. I'm not very fashionable though. Depending on your needs it doesn't hurt to take a look and they are often on sale. The options they have from Joseph Abboud look very nice. The woman I'm dating likes the charcoal wool sport coat I got from there.

Fashionable people on the forums seem to speak highly of Suit Supply and J Crew. Some like Brooks Brothers or designers like Ralph Lauren.

The Perry Ellis website currently has a 50% off coupon code, pesite50, good for everything on the site. I didn't pull the trigger, but I almost bought a nice looking two piece twill suit for 137 bucks, delivered.

No experience at all with their suits, and it is cotton twill and not wool, but that might make a decent cheap suit for warm months.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Right now (post-holidays/end of winter) is a great time to find sport coats at your local thrift store. Actually, even better is the thrift shop in the affluent part of town. Don't mean to sound classist, but that just kinda how it is with second hand retail. I recently scored an Orvis corduroy sport coat in almost new condition for $10 and a 100% wool tweed jacket for $12. For anyone in the NOVA/DC area, check out the Twig Thrift Shop in Old Town Alexandria.

I was in the market for a new traditional navy blazer and shopped around (dept stores, Jos A Bank, Mens Warehouse, etc.). I was able to catch the Stafford line on sale at JCPenney. I've purchased a lot of JCP's Stafford products through the years and have always been pleased with the quality and finish, so I picked up a Navy 100% wool hopsack weave blazer. It was marked down from $200 to $99 during their sale. I have to add in some additional cost for tailoring (sleeves in my size are always a bit long and need to be taken up) since they don't offer that free service any longer, but still a steal at that price. The hopsack weave on this blazer is a very fine, tight weave, unlike some others I've seen that are often prone to snagging.

Count me as another who is very pleased with his Stafford blazer. It was nice to be able to try it on. They didn't carry the color I liked in my size but it was easy enough to order it.

Top Bottom