What's new

So where are people buying good sport coats and blazers these days?

I am in need of buying some new sports coasts and blazers. The ones I have are 20 years old and showing wear. I am looking to spend a decent amount, probably $300-$500 or so, but not really above that. Nordstrom's seems a bit high.

Googling around on Reddit and other forums like this one it seems like the standards (Men's warehouse, JoS Bank, etc) are getting ragged on.

So, where are people buying their coast these days?

I scour the Goodwill and have an excellent tailor. I am a sucker for vintage quality and I would never spend that much as I only require two sport coats for occasional wear.

I scour the Goodwill and have an excellent tailor. I am a sucker for vintage quality and I would never spend that much as I only require two sport coats for occasional wear.

I have looked at Goodwill, but the stock they have in my area is crap, and outside my size worth tailoring typically. Any quite frankly, just too "old" looking.

Last one I purchased was last year at Boscov's, on sale. However, the local Gentleman's Warehouse here was pretty good last time I purchased from them.

Sent via mobile - Chris

once in a while you can catch a nice one at Burlington coat factory or a dillards outlet...something that was $400 plus for like half price

I order online. If you know your measurements (and I mean, truly know your physical measurements, not "I'm a 44R and always a 44R"), it can be a really nice process.

Two companies are Spier & McKay / Suitsupply.

JC Penney's Stafford line of blazers and sportcoats aren't bad if you catch them on sale. They seem to stock a wide assortment of sizes, usually.

JC Penney's Stafford line of blazers and sportcoats aren't bad if you catch them on sale. They seem to stock a wide assortment of sizes, usually.
plus one on this. went to the clearance rack there and got a stafford sharp blazer and khaki slacks, for about 90 bucks, original on the blazer was like 175.

my favorite finds are usually at Nordstrom Rack, if you have one of those close by.

Jos A Banks if you order online from their better lines when on sale or look for closeouts. Walking in can be a real let down but, their mail order options are pretty good.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You definitely want to hit the sales. I'm retired now and don't wear suits a lot, but my last two were from Jos A Banks on a buy one get three free. I went with my son and got a couple of $700 suits for under $200. They're not really $700 suits, but they're very nice for what I paid.

I was in Lord and Taylor with the Mrs. a while back and they have some amazing sales (not sure of the schedule). I purchased $115 jeans for $11 and a pair of $199 jeans for around $54. The sales prices were not well marked, but they're happy to give you a price at the register.

I don't know if that's a once a year sale, but I'll be back.

Guess I am in the other camp.

Since I do not buy many suits or sportscoats these days (as I have a fair number in the closet), I tend to purchase at the busier shops with good selection and tailoring. In Seattle this means Nordstroms (downtown) or Brooks Brothers. Clearly YMMV!

My main suggestion is to bring a lady to assure things are tasteful and well tailored,

Unfortunately, you can no longer buy a quality sportcoat in the $300-500 range unless you find it on sale. Stay away from Jos Bank and Men's Warehouse!

Unfortunately, you can no longer buy a quality sportcoat in the $300-500 range unless you find it on sale. Stay away from Jos Bank and Men's Warehouse!

I have a suit from Jos Banks. It's fine for what I need it for; to wear once or twice a year. I would never use them if I needed a suit for frequent wear however.

Top Bottom