What's new

So I finally tried Pinaud Clubman........

B&Bers,
I made the mistake of running out of my favorite aftershave. I have been using nothing but captains choice for the past several months. This may be boring by some peoples standards but, I love the stuff. I had just finished shaving then reached for the after shave. EMPTY!!! How could I let this happen. This led me to delve into some vintage stuff I purchased in a group buy a long time ago. I tried Geurlain vetiver, Givenchy gentleman and Geurlain habit rouge. Of these three the habit rouge was my favorite. The geurlain vetiver didn't smell quite like vetiver to me. It had quite a bit of menthol in it and did cool the face well. The drydown transformed into something that wasn't pleasing to my olfactory senses. Not a fan of it.

A few days passed and I ended up running to CVS pharmacy to pick up a few things. I had to get a prescription filled so I browsed the aisles while I waited for it to be filled. Then I saw it. CLUBMAN. I have been wanting to try this stuff for awhile now so I picked it up. There was a really good looking pharmacy tech working this particular day and she gave me a bit of a confused look when I placed it on the counter. I didn't let this discourage me. I made some small talk and ended up asking for a phone number which I did not receive. Apparently she wasn't a fan of clubman because I know it couldn't have been me. She probably had bad taste anyway.

I got back home and had a good shave. I opened up the clubman and was immediately let down. This stuff smells somewhat floral and very powdery. I didn't sense any citrus or spice at all which is what intrigued me to begin with. Based on the product description it has citrus in it somewhere. I applied some anyway even though I didn't like it initially. It does have an alcohol burn but only slightly. The sting is fleeting and doesn't last long. The scent is another story. It has longevity and I could detect it throughout the rest of the evening. I also couldn't get the scent off my hands after washing them a few times. As time passed the powder smell grew as the other notes faded out.

Later in the evening I had gone out and had some drinks with friends and associates from work. A few of us ended up back at my place including the pharmacy tech I had spoken to earlier in the day. She is an undergraduate pharmaceutical student at the same university I attended. It just so happens she frequents the same watering holes that I do as well. We were engaged in a close proximity conversation when she said, You smell........ Then a pause came. I laughed at her and asked her to finish her sentence. What do I smell like? I asked. Then it came.... YOU SMELL LIKE A OLD MAN. I laughed at this and silently agreed with her. I also got a couple un-solicited comments from other females over the course of the evening and none of them were exactly complimentary. The scent of clubman is not the best for the under 35 crowd, at least in my opinion. The evening did end in success and I did get that phone number after all.

The Sun seemed to come up earlier than usual the following morning. I stumbled my way to the bathroom still a bit boozy from last nights exploits. Then it hit me smack in the face. Clubman has taken over my bathroom. I'm not sure if she or I were the one responsible for the empty bottle of clubman laying on the hardwood floor. Somehow in the middle of the night, the contents of the bottle had escaped. I must not have secured the top as I left the bathroom earlier in the day. This was the most nauseating and overpowering scent I have ever smelled in my bathroom and that is saying alot considering what goes on in there. I had to air it out with the windows open for the rest of the day before I could bear to go in there.
In conclusion, I now have a strong dislike for clubman. It does have it's appeal to people and a strong user base. If you enjoy it then more power to you. I just can't stand the stuff. I may revisit it in another 25yrs or so to see if it grows on me. Sorry for the long winded rant. I haven't posted on here in awhile and just wanted to share my experiences. Have a good one gents. If you cant be good, be good at it.

Andy

I also got some Clubman recently and I now know this is what my grandfather used. Im not too fond of it, but never had any females tell me I smell like an old man, that would be a buzz kill.

It takes me back to the Saturday morning trips to the barber shop with my dad. I just bought a new bottle tonight. Can't wait to splash some on in the morning.

I'm not sure if she or I were the one responsible for the empty bottle of clubman laying on the hardwood floor.

Andy

Am I the only one curious about the turn of events that could have caused this? Or the only one ungentlemanly enough to reference it?

The latter I suppose.

I used Clubman even when I was in school,which was the 80's-90's while everyone was using Polo ,Drakkar and had nothing but compliments.The thing was I used very little or diluted it by applying it on a damp face with damp hands and had a mild clean powdery scent.If you wear too much,it is very overpowering I agree.But that can happen with any aftershave.
I did get negative comments when I wore Old Spice once.Got the same "Old Man" comments.Same with Aqua Velva.

Am I the only one curious about the turn of events that could have caused this? Or the only one ungentlemanly enough to reference it?

The latter I suppose.

Let me get this straight:

Guy buys Clubman.

Guy wears Clubman.

Guy wonders if girl he just met knocked over his Clubman in the middle of the night.

Guy decides Clubman blows.

Youth, I tell you, is wasted on the young.

Use the right amount and Clubman smells good. Negative reactions mean you used too much.

That girl who drank the rest of the bottle? She used too much.

lighten up guys, no one drank the clubman. it got knocked over on someones trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I don't call getting a phone number succesful either. I just thought some of you might appreciate a good laugh. No offense to any clubman users.

On second thought, maybe she did drink it. I may have been wrong about clubman all along

Last edited:
Andy,

I can see where you are coming from. It is not to my taste. I bought it out of curiosity and it will probably stay a curiosity in my collection.

It is far to powdery for me to wear on a regular basis, and it is far too strong for me to use as an aftershave. Once in awhile, I think I may dab a bit on as a cologne - just when I am puttering about. I think it is better than Brut or other budget fougeres, but I won't go out of my way to get it again.

Did you call in HazMat after? I'd say your bathroom must be a nightmare right now... My friend spilled a drop on my carpet and it has lingered for about a day. I can only imagine what a whole bottle would do to your indoor air quality!

As for the female situation, you have to wear something that you like and that gives you confidence. If you are getting negative reactions, then even if you like Clubman odds are you will not be comfortable wearing it in the future. I'd say you are better off finding something else.

It takes me back to the Saturday morning trips to the barber shop with my dad. I just bought a new bottle tonight. Can't wait to splash some on in the morning.

+1 Clubman is what Mike the Barber splashed on the back of my neck and around my ears when I still had to use the booster seat in the barber chair. Pleasant memories.

Hey Andy, I hope you know we are just busting your chops. I thought your story was hilarious.

Concur.

Andy,
Although I'm a clubman fan, your post is one of the most entertaining on the site. This annoyed us because you get to leverage being single and having all possibilities available while as married men, our options are limited and largely predictable. Sure, statistics show that we're healthier, happier and get overwhelmingly more sex than single men, but your life just...well,it just sounds better. I wouldn't trade you for the world, but as I said to my bride the other day, I wouldn't mind borrowing.

One other note, getting a phone number on a first meeting is the only right, the only truly cool move. Much respect.

So where do you go now for an aftershave? I would suggest Floris Santal. Great stuff though kind of dear. I'm using very little of it since discovering Emerald Water and would be happy to PIF you a sample. Just drop me a PM. The only catch is when you wear it, you'll owe us more stories of this nature. You can title the thread: Vicarious Living for Middle-Aged Men When The Rainbow is Not Enough.

cheers,
oake

Clubman and walkers go together like old people and prunes. :wheelchair:

Let's hear it for the geriatric crowd :clap:

Just remember.... you will get old too :001_tt2:

I take no offense to anyone here. You guys can pick on me all you want. That is part of the fun of this forum. I like to pick on other people myself sometimes. If you are going to dish it out, you have to be able to take it too. I can never be mad at you guys. It's all in good sport. This was just a crazy turn of events that centered on clubman aftershave. I thought it deserved to be told here. I honestly meant no disrespect to the clubman fan club.

I did get two new bottles of captains choice in the mail yesterday. I didn't realize how much burn captains has compared to the other AS splashes I have tried. I love that burn. If you guys haven't tried captains choice yet, I highly recommend it. The scent is awesome and it finishes off a shave better than anything else I have tried so far.

Andy

Last edited:
It could be worse, she could have found your stash of Arko in the bathroom after tripping over the Clubman!

Yeah, that might have been bad. Glad she didn't look in my cabinet and see unusual amounts of shaving creams and soaps and thousands of razor blades. What kind of weirdo has all that stuff............ HA HA.

Top Bottom