What's new

slippery razor handles

Isn't it sad when one spends serious money for a good razor, and the first thing that must be done is one of the above mentioned creative fixes for a problem that never should have been? It's worse than sad. It's outrageous!

I don't know what some manufacturers are thinking when they design their razor handles!

The primary thought of any manufacturer is whether the razor will look good on the shelf, in the catalog, or on the web page. Other aspects are secondary. If it does not look good, you won't buy it and ever learn if there are functional design deficiencies.

When making a purchase, a wise consumer evaluates both the appearance and functional characteristics. Smooth chrome and lined handle (like the popular EJ89LBL) look good, but are more difficult to hold. Knurled handles might not be as elegant, but they are more functional. There are razors that look great and shave great that are not expensive.

I swear I think the folks at Muhle and Edwin Jagger told their designers to come up with handles that were as slippery as possible. A live eel is easier to hang on to.

Electric, or Moray?

American Eel

American eel _2__ Kennebec River_ 10-12-11_ NT.jpg

How about making a nice thick lather that’s not drenched in water and keeping a dry towel close by to dry the Handel and hands if it gets too slippery.

I was lucky to get my EJ DE89 with a "barley" handle.

1707177124247.png

It's just bumpy enough to give a good grip, even with wet hands. I've never dropped it.

There are no sharp edges in that "barley" design; a machined handle (like most of the RazorRock handles) gives even better grip.

If I wanted to fix a slippery handle, I'd use the "o-ring" method. Or do what the Japanese do with kamisori's:

. . . wrap the handle with string or rattan.

. Charles

Top Bottom