What's new

slippery razor handles

HI,
I have an EJ89 and a MERKUR FUTUR enroute,the EJ89 is a great razor but with that handle it is hard to hold when wet or soapy,i am not prepared to replace the handle right now but i would like to get some suggestions as what i can do to improve grip for both of these razors.right now i did wrap a rubber band around the base of the EJ89 as a quick fix for now.thanks in advance,tony

I don't have any problem holding my EJ89 with a wet hand. Soapy, however, is a different story. You can also look to replace the handle of the razor with a knurled one but the rubber band fix seems as good as any on the cheap....

Last edited:
Alum block - rub your gripping fingers on the block before holding the razor. Relatively cheap option for now - and the alum is a great post-shave soother.

Alum block - rub your gripping fingers on the block before holding the razor. Relatively cheap option for now - and the alum is a great post-shave soother.

+1 and alum on the fingertips offers the added benefit of aiding in skin stretching.

I had the same problem with my EJ razor. Thanks to a creative idea I read somewhere on B&B, I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of rubber O-rings -- sorry, but I don't remember the size -- but just a little smaller than the handle. I got two packages of 10, and slipped them all onto the handle. Haven't had a problem since.

A towel.

Never had an issue with a slippery razor.

+1

I keep several towels around the sink and dry my hands before grabbing a brush or razor.

proxy.php

Get a replacement handle for your EJ, either a Weber Bulldog or an Ikon. I can tell you that I got a Bulldog and it not only became a much improved grip, but a much improved razor. There are other threads out which will support this claim, that's how I found out about it.

HI,
I have an EJ89 and a MERKUR FUTUR enroute,the EJ89 is a great razor but with that handle it is hard to hold when wet or soapy,i am not prepared to replace the handle right now but i would like to get some suggestions as what i can do to improve grip for both of these razors.right now i did wrap a rubber band around the base of the EJ89 as a quick fix for now.thanks in advance,tony

Oops!:blink: I didn't see the part where you said you weren't prepared to replace the handle right now. :blushing: The above methods will probably improve the grip, but I'm telling ya', the new handle will improve the whole shaving experience.:thumbup:

I have a bit of a hard time keeping a grip on my DE89 at times as well. Its definitely soap that cause it. I've thought about the bulldog too, seems like a darn good solution.

Is the alum similar to styptic? I got some styptic on my EJ89 handle once after using the pencil on a weeper. It was a huge pain in the rear to wash it off of the razor, but it gave me an amazing grip for the rest of the shave.

Top Bottom