What's new

slant!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I got my Christmas wish and received a Merkur HD slant! I had been shaving with a regular HD with an israeli personna blade, but I popped a feather in the slant to give it a whirl. It felt good - tons of feedback - but I did not get BBS. When I use my normal HD/personna, I get BBS every time. This distresses me, as the new combination should be more, not less, aggressive. Any recommendations? I am going to go try a personna in the slant to see if that makes a difference...

I think different combinations work better for different people.

I just got a Deluxe Bull Mastiff with New Open Comb from Bob's Razors and it has made an amazing difference on my very coarse beard. I have two Open Comb heads, a TTO open comb in the mail and I am shopping for other open combs that I can use with Bob's handle. The New Short Comb I used this morning has been the best for me so far.

You probably just need to find the right blade and maybe adjust your angle a bit. I have the regular Merkur slant and the Sledgehammer and get great results with a 7 O'clock Yellow, but I think it is definitely a YMMV situation. Try a few different blades until you find the one that works for you.

Just remember, the slant gives a different shave, that doesn't mean it'll be a better shave. I had the same thing happen to me. I've had a couple of slants, and I didn't care for them at all. Everyone's different, and for me the slant just didn't ring any bells. I get better shaves from my 1904's or my HD's. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

A slant is in my rotation, but got a great first time shave from a Gem 1912 - a much lighter razor with a straight (but more rigid) blade....

You probably just need to find the right blade and maybe adjust your angle a bit. I have the regular Merkur slant and the Sledgehammer and get great results with a 7 O'clock Yellow, but I think it is definitely a YMMV situation. Try a few different blades until you find the one that works for you.

+1 Great advice. I love the 37G + Yellow combination!

The right blade makes all the difference for the Slant. For me, the equation is as follows: 37G + Feather blade = pure bliss!

Regards,
Chase

Top Bottom