What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

@Gamma those stones are gorgeous...mind blown. Here's my humble Shobu Karasu, mostly use it for finishing my kitchen knives, however I still thought I'd share.

My ugly ducking for the day. A kind of transition stone, an essentially white suita with renge on one side and a type of amber color sunashi suita on the reverse. Both sides kick ***.

Alex

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Here's a nice old Kato-era iro maruka, worn about halfway down but lots of razor life left in this one. It's very hard, pretty fast and super fine, the first test on the Gold Dollar gave silent HHT root in or out, and not every stone will do that with a Gold Dollar. Happy to see this one, Kato-San's stones are becoming less common.

Cheers, Steve
DSCF2516.jpg
DSCF2515.jpg

Steve
Historic stone, keep it in the safe.

Alex

Here's a nice old Kato-era iro maruka, worn about halfway down but lots of razor life left in this one. It's very hard, pretty fast and super fine, the first test on the Gold Dollar gave silent HHT root in or out, and not every stone will do that with a Gold Dollar. Happy to see this one, Kato-San's stones are becoming less common.

Cheers, Steve
View attachment 789501 View attachment 789502

Don't know if this is just Iromono or Akane or even murasaki. It was sold as a Narutaki Akane tomae 4+. Speed and cutting test seems really good. Maybe more of a 5 or more in hardness though.

IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
What Did I Do Now!

I did not wake up this and said "today is the day I am going to purchase my first Jnat". It was the furthest thing on my mind. But lo and behold while searching my local Internet classified site and an ad popped up for razor hones for sale. A few emails and a few texts later and a "by the way I have a Japanese stone I want to sell". I now have my first Jnat. I was told it is a Nakayama Asagi. Its width is between 3 1/2 to 2 1/2 by 8 inches long and weighs 858 g. I have no other Jnat to compare to, but this stone is hard and very fine. Having zero experience with stones like this, any additional ID info appreciated.

IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG

My new Suita. An Ozuku suita with iromono blushing and strawberry layers and a lovely Narutaki Karasu renge suita and I have noticed some Kuro renge in it too more toward the top end. This one is very silky feeling. From early tests shaves they are both good hard finishing stones. Sorry no wet pics.

suita - Copy.jpg
suita4 re.jpg
suita7 - Copy.jpg

Top Bottom