What's new

Shaving while travelling

I recently travelled to Cannes for 3 days. I took a few truefitt and hill disposable razors with me assuming they would do the job. They did not.

I shaved once with the disposable and did not fancy a repeat. I struggled quite a bit to get a close shave.

Would a better solution be to a buy a cheap DE whenever I travel and just throw it away before coming back ? Or not shave at all?

And are there specific cases for transporting shaving brushes to keep them safe?

And are there specific cases for transporting shaving brushes to keep them safe?
There's a guy FrugalShave on etsy who will 3d print a really cool travel tube to fit your brush. It's sturdy, has air holes, and opens at both ends so you don't push the hairs the wrong way when either inserting or removing your brush. Or if you want to be even more frugal than FrugalShave, a lot of guys will just use a pill bottle and poke air holes in the top.

The real determining factor on what you can and cannot bring is determined if you are flying and if you check luggage or just travel with carry on.

Carry on only - No DE blades allowed. You can bring an empty DE with you and try to get blades on location, which can be challenging. Also there are instances where TSA agents have taken even empty DE razors (go figure). Safest bet here is a disposable or a cartridge razor.
Checked luggage - You can put blades and DE razor there.

There are several places that sell brush tubes suitable for travelling. I use a Simpson small travel case with a small brush (I use a Maggard Timberwolf 18mm) like the Simpson T1 or similar.

I recently travelled to Cannes for 3 days. I took a few truefitt and hill disposable razors with me assuming they would do the job. They did not.

I shaved once with the disposable and did not fancy a repeat. I struggled quite a bit to get a close shave.

Would a better solution be to a buy a cheap DE whenever I travel and just throw it away before coming back ? Or not shave at all?

If you check your luggage, you can just bring a safety razor.

If you carry on, the single blade BIC Sensitive is a good disposable.

For a travel brush tube, a LOT of people just use a pill bottle with hole’s drilled in them. There are custom ones, and vintage ones and Simpsons makes three sizes in ivory colored plastic. The smallest Simpsons tube is designed for the Case 1, Duke 1, Classic 1, and the special.

I was there in March for Mipim and took a Bic with me.

F71FBD60-A7CA-462E-AABD-C404256FF100.jpeg

6275BE48-E278-4064-9593-3454871B1588.jpeg

I have a Schick Krona that I use when travelling. It's probably the mildest razor I have or have ever used. I get a super nice shave with nothing but a little pre shave hot water soak and a can of Barbasol. So it travels light and easy. Of course it has to go in checked luggage though.

You can find them on eBay for $10 to $30 depending on condition. It's my go-to for a fast, no fuss shave.
IMG20240404185723~3.jpg

9 months after switching to DE from carts, I took my favorite 30yo cart & canned foam on vacation to save space. After one shave, I tossed the cart and foam in the trash and didn't shave until I got home. Once you go DE, you can't go back to carts. At least I can't.

If you check your luggage, you can just bring a safety razor.

If you carry on, the single blade BIC Sensitive is a good disposable.

For a travel brush tube, a LOT of people just use a pill bottle with hole’s drilled in them. There are custom ones, and vintage ones and Simpsons makes three sizes in ivory colored plastic. The smallest Simpsons tube is designed for the Case 1, Duke 1, Classic 1, and the special.
BIC Metal is my go to disposable.
Second on the Simpson's Tubes - they are fantastic.
Another tube option is from Epsilon, they are more of a clearer plastic tube.
proxy.php

This is the sort of situation where something like a Fatip Piccolo REALLY SHINES! 🥰

Then, if 'flying', mail a blade or two to your hotel or, hit a local store and buy a small Tuck of blades. If you need a brush for your shave soap, one of the dedicated travel tubes for shave brushes is easy but, so is a can of FOAM or Canned GEL.

All of this being said, one of the 5-bladed disposable razors is super easy to fly with and works well for most people most of the time with a small can of good shave gel. If I am NOT FLYING, a DE razor and tuck of blades is super easy to throw in a suitcase.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
You can bring an empty DE with you and try to get blades on location
This rule for carry-on has changed in the USA. The TSA is now authorized to confiscate an empty safety razor as well. The risk is whether or not one will get caught. So the choice is up to the traveler to take the risk or not. Obviously you can take it all in checked luggage. But then you have to weigh in factors such as theft and luggage loss by the airlines. So I travel with inexpensive and easily replaceable kit.

I travel all the time. Leaving again tomorrow in fact, so today is packing day. I check luggage when I am going for a week or more. Carry-on for anything less. For checked luggage I bring a full but somewhat downsized kit. My toiletry bag contains a Muhle STF 23 mm, a push up dispenser with an Arko stick, and a splash of some sort. I rotate in razors depending on the situation. My toiletry bag has a smaller removable sack that Velcros in, and this holds my blades. When I carry-on, the blade sack comes out, DE razors come out, and the disposable goes in. Usually a BIC Metal, or a Guard. Sometimes when I’m feeling adventurous I’ll take a vintage Trac II. This trip will be 16 days, so I will take a couple of nice but cheap razors, and an extra full size tub of soap. Probably will bring an R41 and a Lupo 95.

This rule for carry-on has changed in the USA. The TSA is now authorized to confiscate an empty safety razor as well. So the risk is whether or not one will get caught. So the choice is up to the traveler to take the risk or not. Obviously you can take it all in checked luggage. But then you have to weigh in factors such as theft and luggage loss by the airlines. So I travel with inexpensive and easily replaceable kit.

I travel all the time. Leaving again tomorrow in fact, so today is packing day. I check luggage when I am going for a week or more. Carry-on for anything less. For checked luggage I bring a full but somewhat downsized kit. My toiletry bag contains a Muhle STF 23 mm, a push up dispenser with an Arko stick, and a splash of some sort. I rotate in razors depending on the situation. My toiletry bag has a smaller removable sack that Velcros in, and this holds my blades. When I carry-on, the blade sack comes out, DE razors come out, and the disposable goes in. Usually a BIC Metal, or a Guard. Sometimes when I’m feeling adventurous I’ll take a vintage Trac II. This trip will be 16 days, so I will take a couple of nice but cheap razors, and an extra full size tub of soap. Probably will bring an R41 and a Lupo 95.
That is why I had my disclaimer in my post. TSA agents have full discretion and they have the final word. They can confiscate any item they so choose to and you have no say.

Carry on only - No DE blades allowed. You can bring an empty DE with you and try to get blades on location, which can be challenging. Also there are instances where TSA agents have taken even empty DE razors (go figure). Safest bet here is a disposable or a cartridge razor.

There was a total douchebag ranting and raving about some imagined offense or slight on an airline flight in the NorthEast USA a few months back that started waving a DE razor about the cabin. Don't expect anyone to think about whether it has a razor blade loaded or not when you are acting like a mental patient off your meds ranting about nonsense!

Be sure to thank him for getting TSA to confiscate our razors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That is why I had my disclaimer in my post. TSA agents have full discretion and they have the final word. They can confiscate any item they so choose to and you have no say.

My point was that the rules changed. Before this somewhat recent change, it was perfectly within the regs to carry on a DE without the blade. Whether or not some power hungry tsa agent was gonna take it anyway is another story. But now, unfortunately, it is explicitly stated that a safety razor is not allowed with or without a blade. I am just trying to inform anyone who isn’t aware of the regulation changes.

To be clear about the TSA legislation.

In the permitted section, it says;
"(16) Safety razors (including disposable razors)"

In the prohibited section under razor blades, it says;
"(7) Razor-type blades, such as blades for box cutters, utility knives, and non-disposable safety razors. This prohibition includes box cutter and utility knife housings, with or without the razor blade, but excludes disposable safety razors and safety razor blade cartridges"

While it does not explicitly state that DE razors are prohibited (just the blades), the "with or without the razor blade" which is referring to box cutters is causing confusion and agents are treating safety razors the same as a box cutter, even if another section permits safety razors. It doesn't help that safety razors without blade are not mentioned alongside disposable and cartridge. It is not clear, so I would not take a DE safety razor you wouldn't want to lose.

Top Bottom