What's new

Shaving sticks, amazing soaps

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Shaving sticks are amazing. With these four words I could close my post without adding anything else. Because those experienced wet shavers who regularly use these wonderful little soaps know what I’m talking about. But those beginners who have never used them yet surely want some arguments. And I’ll try to do my best to explain why shaving sticks are amazing. First of all the vast majority of shaving sticks on the market are terrific products of exceptional quality. And this is probably the most important reason for having them in your regular rotation. But it’s clearly not the only one. Shaving sticks, available in a huge selection from a lot of trusted brands, produce an outstanding lather for a close, comfortable, irritation free shave. And they are also very, very easy to lather up. Even the newest wet shaver, following the great tutorials here on B&B, can get a beautiful, creamy lather with no effort at all, and be immediately satisfied with his results. Another winning point to take in consideration is that shaving sticks always have a reasonable cost, with prices often incredibly low. And they last a very long time, giving countless, fantastic shaves. Also, these little soaps are easy to carry (making them ideal for travelling) and easy to stock. Scents are usually good, soapy and pleasant. I have found many good reasons for loving shaving sticks and have not found any for disliking them.

P.S. My favourite shaving sticks are Valobra, Sir Irisch Moos, Speick, La Toja and Palmolive.

I totally agree Marco. I only have the Valobra, Sapone per barba so far but I can see further acquisitions on the horizon!! :thumbup1:
P.S. How many soaps/ creams do you have? I'm intrigued, and stuggling to keep up with you!! :mad3:

David

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I totally agree Marco. I only have the Valobra, Sapone per barba so far but I can see further acquisitions on the horizon!! :thumbup1:
P.S. How many soaps/ creams do you have? I'm intrigued, and stuggling to keep up with you!! :mad3:

David

David, I was 100% sure you had Valobra, Sapone per barba... Of all my shaving sticks, this is certainly my number 1 choice! :thumbup1:

P.S. Not too many. I generally keep about ten/twelve soaps and creams in my rotation. I still have to try several quality soaps from the UK and Santa Claus will bring me DR Harris Arlington soap this Christmas! :001_smile

David, I was 100% sure you had Valobra, Sapone per barba... Of all my shaving sticks, this is certainly my number 1 choice! :thumbup1:

P.S. Not too many. I generally keep about ten/twelve soaps and creams in my rotation. I still have to try several quality soaps from the UK and Santa Claus will bring me DR Harris Arlington soap this Christmas! :001_smile

You won't be disappointed with Arlington, Marco. The scent is my favourite of the Harris soaps. It's a very hard, triple milled soap, in total contrast to the Italian softs, but it's one of the few remaining tallows we have unfortunately. Hope you enjoy what we have to offer. :001_smile

David

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You won't be disappointed with Arlington, Marco. The scent is my favourite of the Harris soaps. It's a very hard, triple milled soap, in total contrast to the Italian softs, but it's one of the few remaining tallows we have unfortunately. Hope you enjoy what we have to offer. :001_smile

David

Thank you, David. This is exactly what I wanted to hear about the Arlington soap. Meantime I really do enjoy using MWF from England, which is a unique, wonderful and very effective shaving soap. :thumbup1:

You listed Sir Irisch Moos but forgot his brother the Bull Tabac:thumbup:

Shave sticks are lather heaven in a small package!

Love the performance of Palmolive. Hate the feeling of rubbing the stick on my face.

<shuffles quietly out of the room before the riot starts>

Love the performance of Palmolive. Hate the feeling of rubbing the stick on my face.

+1 My sticks get grated into a bowl. But to be fair I haven't tried one in a while, will have to try face lathering one of my surviving sticks this weekend.

I have to agree. I have been using a shave stick (Sir Irisch Moos) almost exclusively for the past 4 months and it is awesome. :thumbup:

I definitely agree with the ease of lathering.

I have a D.R. Harris shave stick in Almond that is just divine.
I want to get a Marlborough stick next.

I had this experience the first time I tried Palmolive and it motivated me to grate it into a puck. I couldn't understand why so many guys seemed to like them. However I found the solution was to soak the very end of the stick in hot water, in much the same way as leaving a little water on a puck for a couple of minutes before shaving. Just wetting the end of the stick and applying it straight to the face does not soften it enough.

Valobra is my favorite by far with the second, there is a soap that I like a lot but has discontinued many years ..

I had this experience the first time I tried Palmolive and it motivated me to grate it into a puck. I couldn't understand why so many guys seemed to like them. However I found the solution was to soak the very end of the stick in hot water, in much the same way as leaving a little water on a puck for a couple of minutes before shaving. Just wetting the end of the stick and applying it straight to the face does not soften it enough.

Thanks. I held it under running water a few seconds before trying it a few times, but maybe that wasn't long enough. Just didn't care for the experience at all, so I'll just merrily grate them into little containers and enjoy em like that.

Top Bottom