What's new

Shaving over scaring

Hey folks,

So I'm new to SR shaving.

I have a few scars on my face which at the moment it go over with an electric pre SR.

I was hoping someone with scarring or moles etc etc might provide some technique advice for shaving over scars?

P.s Ive tried a couple of times and have made sacrifices to the blood god.

I have both moles and scars. Luckily the moles on my face are the smooth edged kind that raise as a rolling hill rather than a square sided plateau. I have some scars as well. I have some nerve damage that causes weird tingly toe curling spasms occasionally. Guess which one bothers me most? :) I go very lightly. I stretch the skin in a certain direction. I approach the obstacle with the blade from a certain direction and at a certain angle. These certain directions, angles and what not are all different for each person and obstacle I am thinking. And I found them by, you guessed it, trying every way possible this way and that until I find a way that gets me no blood. Then try that way again and see if it repeatedly gives me no blood. Also, I do not stress over absolute bbs perfection and give myself a bit of leniency in these problem areas. Just get it cut down acceptably close and move on as opposed to hack away at the same mole for 5 swipes from 4 different directions because I think I see one more bit of whisker in it.

That is my approach. Perhaps it will help you, perhaps not. But if you keep at it and want to bad enough, you will find a way. If nothing else SR shave up close to obstacles and finish off with DE, Cart, electric, what ever you have to use to get over them. I would save that as a last resort, as I really think you will develop a way to get it taken care of with your SR. Heck, one guy on here talks about trimming his ears with one. If he can get a SR in his ear canal, surely you can get around a scar HAHA

I had a mole on the right side of my chin
I had it surgically removed, that fixed that for me.
As for scars, I have a scar across my chin (I actually got that from SR shaving lol, the only time I cut myself badly because I got cocky and didn't pay attention) and I shave over that no problem. it's not really raised though.

I have moles, no worries here. Scares is not a problem but then again it depends on shape a size. When I started with a straight I cut myself on the jaw badly. 2 days later and I was shaving over that area, caveat here. If the cut is horizontal you pass over it vertically...

I have scars on my face and throat. Go light on them, and don't shave "with" the scar. I mean, an up-and-down scar gets shaved side-to-side, and vice versa. A little beard oil (even if you don't have a beard) applied to the scars after the shave will help. Since you're putting the oil on anyway, spread it on your face. I do not apply aftershave to scars.

EDITed for clarity: the aftershave goes on before the beard oil. I don't apply aftershave to scars.

the more hollow grinds will flex over irregularities better than the stiffer, thicker grinds. I've got a small mole on my chin that I cleanly topped the first time I used an aggressive DE, and again with my first wedge. all the above advice holds true. starting out it may be easier to learn with a hollow blade, then try out thicker ones once you get your technique down.

Use a milder edge which feels a little bit "scritchy". I'm always amazed how milder edges just seem to glide right over my biggest mole.

Increasing the blade angle might help a little.

You might have to give up an ATG pass. A milder edge could be more prone to catching and digging in.

I have one mole that causes problems... it's right at the curve of my chin (where I can't keep the razor properly flat on my face). None of my other moles/scars cause issues, the razor goes right over them. Key is shave at the right (0*/razor spine in contact with face) angle and not to push into your face. Razor should be flat if at all possible, skin should be stretched, and razor should glide effortlessly.

And this is just a suspicion because I rarely use them due to preferring shaper and hollow grind razors... but I think Mcblade is on to something about blade angle... fatter (higher grind angle) and heavier grind (Near wedge/wedge) razors always felt to me like they had no interest in cutting anything, certainly not a scar.

All I have to add is that I will often start at any known injury or obstacle and clear a swath around it first. Then on to the shave. You’ll hear/feel when you hit your cleared spot and have time to stop, not as likely to hit the scar/mole.

Top Bottom